Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/21/2017 8:23:15 AM EDT
http://www.fox5dc.com/news/local-news/vdot-testing-i-66-toll-lanes

So, I have been driving I-66 for 25 years. I pay the extra sales tax "to fund transportation" I pay the extra gasoline tax "to fund transportation". I leave for work @5am so I can play by the rules and be at the Pentagon before 6:30am
Now, I have to get an "EZ-Pass" (from the same people that brought you Anal-Eeze no doubt) and pay up to $17 PER DAY for the privilege of driving the roads I already pay for so I can get to a job I hate just to make the money I need to pay for my car, my fuel (both needed to get to the job I hate) my property taxes, sales tax, and tuition for private school because I want my kids to receive an education NOT an indoctrination from the public schools

Seriously, this is the tipping point. If this goes into effect, it will no longer make sense for me to live/work in Northern Virginia. I will retire and move to Florida, taking my taxable income with me. My job will NOT be back-filled (RIF) and Virginia will lose that State income tax, personal property tax and sales tax that I currently pay and they use to support illegal aliens, drug addicts and the stupid, lazy welfare scum!

(not directed at the good people of Virginia, whom I love)
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:20:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I retired in 2008 and moved from NOVA to rural eastern Virginia. 3 shooting ranges, good neighbors. FNOVA!
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 2:21:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like you need an alternative route or you have to pay.  I think I read somewhere that if the tolls don't ease the traffic in 5? years, they will use eminent domain and widen the road.

Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:47:40 PM EDT
[#3]
From what I have read the tolls will only be during HOV hours.  IF you are already commuting before HOV hours you will not have to pay a toll.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/testing-of-high-occupancy-toll-system-on-i-66-gets-underway/2017/07/17/4f0aa00e-6b03-11e7-9c15-177740635e83_story.html

Beginning in December, drivers who travel at peak times in the peak direction will need an E-ZPass transponder to pay the toll or an E-ZPass Flex transponder set to “HOV” so they can claim the free ride in a carpool of at least two people.

Currently, that portion of I-66 is restricted to vehicles with two or more occupants during peak times in the peak direction. The changes will allow solo drivers to use the road if they pay the toll.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 6:33:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From what I have read the tolls will only be during HOV hours.  IF you are already commuting before HOV hours you will not have to pay a toll.
View Quote
But the problem is they keep extending when HOV hours are, the better question now is when are they not?
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 8:48:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
But the problem is they keep extending when HOV hours are, the better question now is when are they not?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
THIS!

"When tolls begin in December, rush-hour HOV rules for all lanes of I-66 between the Beltway and Rosslyn will expand from today’s hours of 6:30 a.m. to 9 a.m. eastbound and 4 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. westbound, to permanent new hours of 5:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. eastbound and 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. westbound."

Essentially no matter how I adjust my hours, I will fall within one of those time periods.

For myself, 66 is the the most direct route, as I can get off @110 right at the Pentagon (I am not .mil BTW). My alternate routes add mileage, fuel consumption, time and will likely become even more congested (how is that even possible) with the addition of more drivers like me in the same circumstance.

This new scam has nothing to do with funding transportation or relieving traffic or even "reducing carbon foot prints". This is about getting more money from people that work so politicians can hand it out to the people that don't!
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 2:42:45 PM EDT
[#6]
When does this start in December?
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 3:26:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
When does this start in December?
View Quote
The only thing I can find is "expected to begin in December of 2107"
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 4:24:15 PM EDT
[#8]
My state delegate just sent out this in an e-mail.

Dear Friends,

I wanted to inform you that the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) unveiled its new website, 66ExpressLanes.org, to educate motorists regarding tolling inside the Beltway, which is set to begin this December. The website illustrates the necessity of getting an E-ZPass or E-ZPass Flex, and discusses other changes that are coming with the opening of new express lanes.

The tolling of these lanes will be in effect Monday through Friday, 5:30 a.m. - 9:30 a.m. eastbound, and 3:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. westbound.

In addition to 66ExpressLanes.org, VDOT will roll out a multi-faceted education program this fall that will include media events, news stories, advertisements, briefings and other strategies to prepare motorists to use the express lanes tailored to their individual needs.

More information can be found at 66ExpressLanes.org and Transform66.org

As always, if I can be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at [email protected] or by phone at (703) 815-1201.

Regards,

Tim
View Quote
One thing I do like about the new HOT lanes.  The Prius exemption is going away.

I've been surprised that the western commuters don't do slug lines like the I95 corridor does.  Maybe they will now.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 4:27:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I have to go into DC twice a week for the next month or two.  I leave from Gainesville area and hit C street/Congress (going past the pentagon), I leave my house around 0450-0500 and leave work around 14:15-ish if anyone on here wants to try buddying up.  I doubt it will work out with someone on here, but you never know.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 1:27:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Yea. Don't add any additional general usage lanes. Just toll lanes. Didn't seem to work too well for 495 where they charge varying and obscene toll rates for the hot lanes. Obvious cash grab is obvious and corrupt.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 8:22:46 AM EDT
[#11]
So no more hybrid exemption and the toll start i assume from 495 inbound?

I can remember how bad of it cluster fuck it was on Wilson blvd & George mason and Washington blvd lee hwy outbound at 3pm and don't miss it at al
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 9:25:32 PM EDT
[#12]
The best part of all is that most of the money is going into the pockets of McAuliffe's big contributors.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 12:09:18 PM EDT
[#13]
When 66 first opened it greatly decreased the street traffic through Arlingtoon.

Arlingtoon spent years delaying the construction of 66 inside the beltway.

Washington Blvd routinely backed up on the 2-lane sections from what is now Sycamore St. (Sycamore did not exist at the time) to Glebe Road.

As traffic has increased and little has been done to improve flow the jams on Washington are pretty much back again.

The addition of restrictions on 66 have likely not helped either.

Even 66 has backups before the HOV restrictions start and for a while after they end.

At least Arlingtoon politics have changed enough to realize that traffic jambs do nothing to improve air quality in the county.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
From what I have read the tolls will only be during HOV hours.  
View Quote

For now.  

Plus, 66 hot lanes are phase 3 of 5 across Virginia.  And as much as I hate to say it, to be fair to McGov, we can thank Mark Warner for this cash grab.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:05:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
At least Arlingtoon politics have changed enough to realize that traffic jambs do nothing to improve air quality in the county.
View Quote

Not by much.  I was at a council meeting in 2015 (or 2016) and the head of the transportation team was updating on progress of "calming" traffic at the Glebe Rd and Spout Run exits.  From memory, their goal was to get measured actual speed to an average of 15 MPH for a 6 block radius around the exits, through the means of speed bumps, hawk crossing lights . . . . .

Everyone on the board thought it was a dandy idea.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:50:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Not by much.  I was at a council meeting in 2015 (or 2016) and the head of the transportation team was updating on progress of "calming" traffic at the Glebe Rd and Spout Run exits.  From memory, their goal was to get measured actual speed to an average of 15 MPH for a 6 block radius around the exits, through the means of speed bumps, hawk crossing lights . . . . .

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dumbocrap stupidity has re-emerged.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 11:11:52 PM EDT
[#17]
The speed limits thing on 66W is fucking moronic.  50,45,35. And guess where the traffic congestion is?  On the west coast, they do not play games with 5-10mph incremental changes in the speed limit, people merging onto the freeway actually accelerate and merge, much less problems.

Virginias highways are micromanaged and poorly.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:19:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I can remember how bad of it cluster fuck it was on Wilson blvd & George mason and Washington blvd lee hwy outbound at 3pm and don't miss it at al
View Quote
Correct. No more exemption for the "Clean fuel" license plate.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 8:26:05 AM EDT
[#19]
I leave Sterling/Potomac Falls at 0600 and get into L'Enfant by 0645.

I take Rt. 7 E, cut over to McLean/Chain Bridge rd. and hit the GW parkway by the CIA.

Tried taking 66 a few times, what a clusterfuck.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 12:51:57 PM EDT
[#20]
The GWMP is going to take most of the traffic.  It will be another parking lot.  David
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 12:41:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The GWMP is going to take most of the traffic.  It will be another parking lot.  David
View Quote
And in many places there are no options on the GWMP for adding any lanes.

The fact it is a national park notwithstanding.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 1:51:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Eventually the tolls will be 24/7, like the HOT lanes on 95. I used to always jump on them before or after rush hour when they were just express, and save a lot of time, don't have that option anymore. And the traffic in the main lanes outside of rush hour is now much worse, while the HOT lanes sit mostly empty. It's a pipe dream, but they need to eliminate the tolls outside of rush hour. This stretch is now officially the worst traffic in the USA,
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 2:36:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
it already is a parking lot during rush hour. I'm moving from arlington to alexandria soon--not looking forward to hitting the parkway everyday to and from work
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 5:13:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

it already is a parking lot during rush hour. I'm moving from arlington to alexandria soon--not looking forward to hitting the parkway everyday to and from work
View Quote
And for the most part it does not matter that much what direction you are going.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 11:22:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Pardon my ignorance, but how do They know if your transponder is switched to HOV or not? Not that it matters, but mine stays on HOV and that is because I rarely use it when I have less than 4 in the vehicle when I use it. Is it like red light infractions where they pinch one occasionally? I find it hard to believe most people are "honest" about their use of the switch...but I'm happy to be wrong.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 5:49:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 11:22:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Pardon my ignorance, but how do They know if your transponder is switched to HOV or not? Not that it matters, but mine stays on HOV and that is because I rarely use it when I have less than 4 in the vehicle when I use it. Is it like red light infractions where they pinch one occasionally? I find it hard to believe most people are "honest" about their use of the switch...but I'm happy to be wrong.
View Quote
That light is used to indicate when an … E-ZPass is designated as HOV and that will be used for enforcement purposes. A law enforcement officer at each gantry will be able to see that light go off where he or she sits and then be able to look into the car and confirm that it is an HOV-2 vehicle,” Baxter says.

So the light flashes when the EZPass is off and an officer has to be present to look for the passengers as the car goes by.  I wonder when they will just put a camera on a pole to take a side shot?  David
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 1:40:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That light is used to indicate when an … E-ZPass is designated as HOV and that will be used for enforcement purposes. A law enforcement officer at each gantry will be able to see that light go off where he or she sits and then be able to look into the car and confirm that it is an HOV-2 vehicle,” Baxter says.

So the light flashes when the EZPass is off and an officer has to be present to look for the passengers as the car goes by.  I wonder when they will just put a camera on a pole to take a side shot?  David
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its all about the cameras.

My wife used to get nailed over and over with an infant in the back seat.

The sender barks a different code number depending on the mode it is in.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:26:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Correct - basically in December the Clean Fuel Plate becomes worthless in NoVa. Anybody want a good deal on an Accord Hybrid. I may go buy the F150 I would prefer to drive now...

-shooter
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:12:17 AM EDT
[#30]
So, who in this thread has the plates "6locks" with Glock stickers all over their car?
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 11:37:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So, who in this thread has the plates "6locks" with Glock stickers all over their car?
View Quote

Someone who doesn't OPSEC/PERSEC much?

-shooter
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 11:44:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

-shooter
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-shooter
Yeah, pretty much. God, I hate going into DC 2x a week.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 3:39:37 AM EDT
[#33]
So is there a way a Lawyer could bring up a Lawsuit on this?  You know hurting the little guy?  Is this not taxation without representation?  Lower property taxes I guess?
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#35]
They aren't actually making 66 any better. They are just increasing their ability to extract money.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 11:44:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
So is there a way a Lawyer could bring up a Lawsuit on this?  You know hurting the little guy?  Is this not taxation without representation?  Lower property taxes I guess?
View Quote
Have you noticed anyone's property taxes going down in NOVA?
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 12:29:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe if they could follow the $ back to Mark Warner, and bill off a %.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 1:52:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
They aren't actually making 66 any better. They are just increasing their ability to extract money.
View Quote

Truth.

This will make it far worse. And instead of buying a hybrid, had this option existed 9 years ago (when I bought my first one) I would have bought a non-hybrid car and put the savings into tolls.

It is just going to trade a bunch of Prius (and now other vehicles) for those willing to pay tolls. When the clean fuel plate started, there were about 4 eligible models of car to crowd 66. Now, the only filter is a few dollars - which is actually a LOT of dollars over the course of the year.

I am glad I pretty much stopped commuting into DC/North Arlington 4 years ago.

-shooter
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 2:50:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's what they do.  If they really had their way, they'd plow up I-66 and still make you send in your toll money each month.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 9:36:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Not to mention they are supposed to start building the new HOV lanes on 66 outside of 495 in the near future too.. that will be a cluster all in itself.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 9:40:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
I honestly think this is in part to replace the money lost on the Dulles Toll road.  NOVA pumps a lot of money down to Richmond.  I think turning the Dulles Toll road revenue over to pay for the airport metro has put a serious dent in someone's wallet.  I believe a lot of the 495 HOV expansion was privately funded too so 100 percent of that money doesn't go to Richmond.  I think tolling 66 is just turning the faucet back up.  David
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 6:27:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I honestly think this is in part to replace the money lost on the Dulles Toll road.  NOVA pumps a lot of money down to Richmond.  I think turning the Dulles Toll road revenue over to pay for the airport metro has put a serious dent in someone's wallet.  I believe a lot of the 495 HOV expansion was privately funded too so 100 percent of that money doesn't go to Richmond.  I think tolling 66 is just turning the faucet back up.  David
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, this is a poison pill inserted by Arlington County and the Democrat Party to make sure I-66 inside the Beltway is never widened.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#43]
See you guys there around 5:30 tomorrow?

Fuck my life, almost done with this shitty commute.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 11:30:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/testing-of-high-occupancy-toll-system-on-i-66-gets-underway/2017/07/17/4f0aa00e-6b03-11e7-9c15-177740635e83_story.html

Beginning in December, drivers who travel at peak times in the peak direction will need an E-ZPass transponder to pay the toll or an E-ZPass Flex transponder set to “HOV” so they can claim the free ride in a carpool of at least two people.

Currently, that portion of I-66 is restricted to vehicles with two or more occupants during peak times in the peak direction. The changes will allow solo drivers to use the road if they pay the toll.
View Quote
Yep it should only be during "HOV Hours" so nothing for you should not change.

Leaving at 5:00 am should not impact you in anyway. Leaving at 7:30 means you can drive into DC as a single driver and pay a toll.

Think of it as the lanes on 495 beltway...during peak traffic you get to drive 65 and pay a fee and worry about VSP in the express lanes. However after 7:00pm you get to drive 80+ in the regular lanes and not pay a fee at all and not be concerned about the VSP.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 7:33:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Yeah, but this might make non-HOV hours traffic worse and it's still ridiculous.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 12:05:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got pulled over - the HOV was open (on accident) 1/8" at the most.  Let off with a warning.  Still trying to figure out how they know how many people you have in the vehicle.  Heard a rumor of IR cameras...
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 12:20:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 12:35:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Any of you actually thought about living close to where you work?   Life is too short to spend it sitting in a car not moving.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 10:30:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Any of you actually thought about living close to where you work?   Life is too short to spend it sitting in a car not moving.
View Quote
No, that’s never occurred to any of us.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 3:18:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You pay for it via mortgage/rent or in commute time...  No way around it in NOVA that I can find...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top