Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2017 7:53:27 PM EDT
I will include a poll.

What I have:
Savage 300 WM with the accu-trigger. Standard stock.
Leopold rings and base mount. 
4-12x32 redfield revolution
Reloading die
Some bullets
About 500 rounds of hand loaded ammo probably another hundred or so in factory (hand-loaded is all in ammo boxes or the cardboard ones.)
Few other small reloading items (trimmers, etc).

What I saw:
50 Beowulf factory.
Needs cleaned and a dust cover.
Includes brand new brass never loaded
Reloading die.
One mag (I have others that can work (556 if I heard right).

My question, where I am the WM will not be able to be used to its fullest. I moved here from where I could shoot a thousand yards or more whenever I wanted. 

I would like your thoughts. If you own a Beowulf, please feel free to give me your opinion. Thanks. Good trade or no?

I do plan on doing some hunting and would like to try bear at some point.

Edit: forgot to add the question of value. I know I won't get a straight across trade, so what would you value my WM with all the above mentioned items?

I know a lot is based on condition, but a rough guesstimate is good. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:47:49 AM EDT
[#1]
That's hard to say. You really need to itemize the value (not what you paid) of each item in each package then if you are OK with the monetary trade, you need to look at the personal utility of one over the other. 300WM may be a bit much for Virginia Whitetail hunting but do you really have a true need for the .50 Beowulf?

Of course desire often trumps dollar figures and need.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:04:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's hard to say. You really need to itemize the value (not what you paid) of each item in each package then if you are OK with the monetary trade, you need to look at the personal utility of one over the other. 300WM may be a bit much for Virginia Whitetail hunting but do you really have a true need for the .50 Beowulf?

View Quote
That is my struggle.  I have a lot of love for the WM however, my grail Ar is the Beowulf (I am simple). The WM is good for large hunting, which I would love to go for bear but its full potential is not usable. For hunting I also have a blackout.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:43:35 AM EDT
[#3]
FWIW, the lack of dust cover is intentional and correct. AA designed .50Beo uppers without them because they simply don't fit and would hang up ejection.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 12:08:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That is my struggle.  I have a lot of love for the WM however, my grail Ar is the Beowulf (I am simple). The WM is good for large hunting, which I would love to go for bear but its full potential is not usable. For hunting I also have a blackout.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, it sounds like you really want the .50 Beowulf. So now figure out how much it would cost you to duplicate the one you are considering trading for and decide if that is what you would be willing to accept as a cash price for your WM. If it's about equal, you got your answer.

Also, you if you really lust for the WM again, you can always duplicate that set-up. That's all current production gear. It's not like your trading Grandpa's WWII Luger bring-back
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 1:53:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote
View Quote
Well, it sounds like you really want the .50 Beowulf. So now figure out how much it would cost you to duplicate the one you are considering trading for and decide if that is what you would be willing to accept as a cash price for your WM. If it's about equal, you got your answer.

Also, you if you really lust for the WM again, you can always duplicate that set-up. That's all current production gear. It's not like your trading Grandpa's WWII Luger bring-back
View Quote
Good advice.  If you aren't shooting the Savage and it holds no sentimental value then look at it strictly from a monetary standpoint.  As Makarov said, there's nothing in your current setup that can't be easily purchased at a future date.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:45:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
FWIW, the lack of dust cover is intentional and correct. AA designed .50Beo uppers without them because they simply don't fit and would hang up ejection.
View Quote
Thank you for this. I didn't know that was to be that way. I was going to buy one and slap it on there if I got it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:52:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
No, it isn't sentimental. It is modern production. I will do some research on my stuff and the gun. It is an Alexander Arms and they are asking 790ish for it. Most I have seen has been K+. An upper is 800 from what I saw and so this is an entire gun. Good deal on their end?
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:02:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Good advice.  If you aren't shooting the Savage and it holds no sentimental value then look at it strictly from a monetary standpoint.  As Makarov said, there's nothing in your current setup that can't be easily purchased at a future date.
View Quote
Haven't shot it recently. So from a monetary state, that is where I am hung up at. I have all that I put into bullets for reloading (about 550ish or so), plus the equipment put on it and factory ammo. From a money standpoint, I could not get there very quickly with the trade. Income is not super high and I have very little in the way of available money to purchase ammo (I just bought 25 rnds for my blackout and that was saved for) or any gun item for that matter. So, I have to look at it monetarily and maybe it would hurt more than help by trading. 

Not complaining, just thinking through a keypad. Thanks for all the thoughts. Really helping me process my thoughts. The other thought is to try and save. I can then get both .

Maybe I am asking advice for that which I already know the answer...
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:43:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Money is tight, you have a lot invested in the .300 WM.  You won't get anywhere near what you put into back out in the trade on the .50.  And I haven't seen any need for the .50 BW.  You can hunt with your .300 BO here just fine in VA.

I say don't do it, wait until you have the money for the .50 BW.  It will still be around.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 1:26:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Money is tight, you have a lot invested in the .300 WM.  You won't get anywhere near what you put into back out in the trade on the .50.  And I haven't seen any need for the .50 BW.  You can hunt with your .300 BO here just fine in VA.

I say don't do it, wait until you have the money for the .50 BW.  It will still be around.
View Quote
That is the way that I am leaning. As much as I would love to get the .50 (And believe me...it is hard to walk away!) I probably will do best holding out till I can pay cash. This may be the best thing for me at the present time. Until I can find other sources of income, I will just slowly take my time. As they say, "Good things come to them that wait"...at least I hope .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top