Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2017 6:47:54 PM EDT
Hey VaHTF has never let me down so I figured I would post this here and see what pops up. I would live to support a local business and a gun owner would be even better.

Does anyone know anywhere I can get grass fed beef locally in the NOVA area?  I'd like to buy directly from the farmer or a local business that's trustworthy. I'd like to avoid the "boutique" butcher shops you see in McLean and Arlington if possible.

Thanks Guys.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:55:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Dead set on grass fed?

Grew up in this area, don't know these guys specifically, but they've been around a while.

http://www.hollinfarms.com

If you're not dead set on grass fed,

Wilsons in Catlett 540-788-4615

Two fat butchers in Front Royal 540-635-6900

Gores in Stephens City 540-869-1029

I've personally bought meat from Wilsons.  Gore's are who I use to kill my cows.  I've used two fat butchers in the past as well.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:49:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I came to post about Wilsons. I'm not sure if it's grass fed or not but it's tasty and they got everything you can imagine for sale there.

I believe they are still cash only.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:18:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Smithfield is off Rt 7 in the Berryville area: http://smithmeadows.com/front-page/directions/
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:37:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Another is Grange and Grub in Purcellville.  I get most of my meat and chicken there.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:36:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys. These are some great options
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 8:32:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Ayrshire farm in middleburg

Gore's Stephen city

2 fat butchers in front royal ( avoid the new bridge its a traffic nightmare  & use RT55  from linden )

And across the river in md

Bullocks in Westminster ( butcher and restaurant all in one )
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 5:50:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Call Bruce McKimmie at Lovettsville BP. 540-822-5901
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:10:42 PM EDT
[#8]
+1 for Two Fat Butchers for service and quality, but I've not gotten any beef from them.  Just a pig or 2.

I know you said none of the local "boutique" stuff, but I've gotten grass fed prime briskets from Let's Meat On The Avenue for under $8 a pound in the recent past.  Doesn't hurt to check them out if you want to avoid the drive.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 12:12:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Gores has my vote.

I've taken sheep to butcher and I can name one not to go to. But don't think they serve the general public any more anyway.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 8:18:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Still looking for a source on a good whole packer brisket.

All of the local grocery stores only sell flats.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

If you know  someone with a membership, the Restaurant Depot on Eisenhower always has a good selection of packer briskets, typically in the choice equivalent grade.  (Around $4 per pound).  Springfield Butcher typically has them in stock as well, at a little higher price.

@bulldog1967, ETA that there's also a Restaurant Depot in Chantilly, which should be closer to you. If you have a business tax ID, that should be all you need to get a membership.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 2:25:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you know  someone with a membership, the Restaurant Depot on Eisenhower always has a good selection of packer briskets, typically in the choice equivalent grade.  (Around $4 per pound).  Springfield Butcher typically has them in stock as well, at a little higher price.

@bulldog1967, ETA that there's also a Restaurant Depot in Chantilly, which should be closer to you. If you have a business tax ID, that should be all you need to get a membership.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tag for interest, that's near the funshow location.  I need to get Va Tax ID anyhow.

I also interested in splitting a 1/4 steer or pig, son moved out of the house amd don't need 1/2 anymore.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 11:33:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Fields of Athenry in Purcellville
Martins Beef in The Plains
Smithfield Farm in Berryville area

Best to go to your local framers market. Most of them show up to those and have a great selection. We use Feilds of Athenry. The quality is always excellent and prices are good.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 6:20:17 PM EDT
[#14]
a friend of mine owns RENEWED PASTURES FARM in orange county that raises all natural grass-fed beef.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:24:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Does anyone have a recommendation on a good butcher shop for goat?
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 8:19:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Does anyone have a recommendation on a good butcher shop for goat?
View Quote
The one I listed above has goat once in awhile.  So does Blue Ridge Meats out in Front Royal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top