Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2017 11:00:33 PM EDT
Got this email from Bob Goodlatte

Protecting your constitutional rights is the greatest responsibility of any Member of Congress. This includes protecting the Second Amendment and the right of law-abiding citizens to legally carry firearms to ensure safety for themselves and their family. This right, just like the other rights guaranteed to American citizens by the United States Constitution, should be respected and preserved.

Knowing of your interest in Second Amendment issues, I wanted to let you know that I have signed on as a cosponsor of H.R. 38, the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act. Introduced by Congressman Richard Hudson of North Carolina, this bipartisan legislation falls under the jurisdiction of the House Judiciary Committee, which I chair. The premise of H.R. 38 is simple; if you are eligible to carry a concealed firearm in your state of residence, you should be able to carry a concealed firearm in another state that allows individuals to do so. Your constitutional rights do not vanish when you cross the state line.

For folks in the Sixth District and communities throughout the country, a jumble of state and local concealed carry laws for firearms make it confusing for citizens to follow. Without reciprocity, a Virginian carrying a concealed firearm while traveling to Pennsylvania would need to route the trip to avoid crossing Maryland’s borders. And a Pennsylvanian would have to be careful about crossing into Maryland or New York while carrying.

Click here to read my recent weekly column about H.R. 38, the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act.

Law-abiding citizens should not forfeit their Second Amendment rights simply by traveling to another state. With more than 210 cosponsors in the House of Representatives, this bill has drawn growing support from lawmakers of both parties representing communities across the country. I look forward to working toward the passage of H.R. 38 in the House. As always, if I may be of assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact my office.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:17:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 6:41:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds great but what happens to LEOs, District Attorneys, and Judges that ignore that law and arrest and imprison Joe Citizen? Places like NYC routinely violate FOPA and nothing ever happens to the jack booted government agents involved.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 11:52:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:50:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds great but what happens to LEOs, District Attorneys, and Judges that ignore that law and arrest and imprison Joe Citizen? Places like NYC routinely violate FOPA and nothing ever happens to the jack booted government agents involved.
View Quote
It's always tough to hold those in power accountable, since the echoes of "not respecting the heroes" is the common refrain heard. And since those same people control the charges filed, it's pretty hard to get them to file abuse of power under the color of law type charges.

It's bad enough when you have a CHP flag on your DMV record in those states.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 2:31:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
  In Norfolk VA they get sued into compliance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top