Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2017 1:17:40 PM EDT
As the title of the thread states, I'm moving to Halifax County near the end of the month, though I have not yet lined up housing.  I'm looking for any helpful information you all might be able to offer as far as where to live (or where not to live), what there is to do, places to eat, things to do/see, etc. Yes, I know that it's a small town and sparsely populated county, but geographically it appears to be closer to many more points of interest than my current area (Tazewell County).

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:17:27 AM EDT
[#1]
You're in the boat I just sailed on.

I am going to South Boston for a job in Clover. Clover has absolutely nothing, seriously.

South Boston isn't near as bad, but the pickings are slim. I just got an apartment there as I will not be moving there, only staying there during the week and commuting from east TN.

There are a couple of real estate companies, you can google for them.

Restaurant wise it's not the greatest considering where you you might be coming from. The usuall fast food places. A decent local pizza place. There is a really nice upscale bar/bistro in downtown. 1888 Bistro. Haven't been yet, but looks very nice.

There's a decent sandwich place that some mennonites have on the outskirts of downtown on the north side.

Depending on what your hobbies are, hunting looks pretty good. Fishing not so much.

A couple of golf courses, one is in the town of Halifax.

Lots of woods, fresh air.

Where in Halifax county? South Boston?
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 12:33:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I found a place just outside South Boston, fortunately. Probably moving in next weekend.

What's the decent pizza place?  I've heard good things from the area from another person who used to work in the office I'll be working in.  I assure you, the pickings where I'm moving from are probably a bit more sparse.  Tazewell County has more people, but they seem to be spread out more than Halifax/South Boston.  In spite of being "smaller," South Boston actually felt a bit bigger when I passed through a week ago.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 12:41:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Dinis Brothers is the pizza place.

By chance, are you working at the power plant?
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 3:19:18 PM EDT
[#4]
No, I'm not at the power plant. I don't want to disclose my soon-to-be employer (persec), but I am an attorney.

I'll definitely have to check out Dinis Brothers.  I'm something of a pizza maniac. I was surprised to find a really solid pizza joint in Tazewell, I'm hoping to be similarly lucky in South Boston.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 3:36:33 PM EDT
[#5]
No problem, just thought by coincidence you might be at the plant. That's where I am going to be and they're bringing in some others as well for some engineering.

There's a lunch buffet place called Ernies that's supposed to be good homecooking. I'm not too big on buffets, but there's not a lot of options close to the plant.

There's a Mexican place in the shopping center on the south side that's not too bad. There's an Italian place there as well but I have tried it yet.

I did visit the state ABC store and damn!!! those prices are high.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 3:59:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been told that my soon-to-be neighbor actually works at the plant, or at least for Dominion.

Unfortunately, a lack of options is often a hallmark of small towns. But there's usually some good mom and pop places.

Thanks for the info!  Fortunately, I don't really drink so I've not had to deal with the ABC stores.  It is strange to me, a Michigander, to see ABC stores.  Back home, if you want liquor you can just go to a grocery store or pharmacy.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 6:45:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I was hoping for more mom and pop places, but they seem to be scarce around SB.

I will tell you one place to avoid, the Sheetz gas station at 501 and 360, that place is one big clusterfuck.

I have ventured over to Halifax, but there isn't much over there.

The one place that looks like it might be pretty nice is 1888 Bistro. There are also a couple of other nice looking places that I saw on TripAdvisor.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:07:32 PM EDT
[#8]
It's unfortunate that there aren't too many mom and pop spots in the area. I'll try to steer clear of Sheetz, I guess.

I've heard some really good things about Bistro 1888, so I guess I'm going to have to check it out.

Have you run into any good gun shops in the area or places to shoot?  I know VIR has some great range facilities, but I don't think they're public.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:06:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Really haven't had time to check out the gun store scene. I've been more trying to find a place to live. Also, as a TN resident, I don't want the hassle of a transfer back to TN. I am probably more of a trout fishing guy, which is non existent there but not too far away for weekend trips.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:19:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's unfortunate that there aren't too many mom and pop spots in the area. I'll try to steer clear of Sheetz, I guess.

I've heard some really good things about Bistro 1888, so I guess I'm going to have to check it out.

Have you run into any good gun shops in the area or places to shoot?  I know VIR has some great range facilities, but I don't think they're public.
View Quote
VSP/HCSO shot a guy in the Sheetz parking lot back in... 09?

Every time I stop there, I think about it. I was coming back from Greensboro the night of the shooting, I remember all the police tape, etc. I knew a couple of the officers involved.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:43:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Every time I stop there, I think about it. I was coming back from Greensboro the night of the shooting, I remember all the police tape, etc. I knew a couple of the officers involved.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What gets me about Sheetz is that not only is it a total clusterfuck at the gas pumps, but they hardly ever have more than one cashier at a time. I normally pay at the pump, but going in for ice or beer and having to deal with the "vibrancy" is a PITA. It's like a demolition derby in and around the pumps.

As for places to eat, I tried a new one last night, Tailgators. Kind of a wing and burger place, but the wings are good and prices are really good. Not a great beer selection, but it works. It's over on the left on Halifax road as you leave SB going to Halifax.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:46:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What gets me about Sheetz is that not only is it a total clusterfuck at the gas pumps, but they hardly ever have more than one cashier at a time. I normally pay at the pump, but going in for ice or beer and having to deal with the "vibrancy" is a PITA. It's like a demolition derby in and around the pumps.

As for places to eat, I tried a new one last night, Tailgators. Kind of a wing and burger place, but the wings are good and prices are really good. Not a great beer selection, but it works. It's over on the left on Halifax road as you leave SB going to Halifax.
View Quote
Thanks for the tip! I'll check that place out.  The beer selection doesn't really mean much to me as I drink incredibly rarely (maybe once or twice a year). That will be on the way to/from work every day.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:10:17 PM EDT
[#13]
My wife's best friend lives there, and from the work I have done around the South Boston area, it seems like a fine place to live. I do warn you though, STD's are rampant in that area (according to my wife's friend who has lived there her entire life). The friend and her fiancee come down to Lynchburg if they want finer dining and to go to the mall. It's about an hour away (I actually live in Lynchburg)
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:27:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
. I do warn you though, STD's are rampant in that area (according to my wife's friend who has lived there her entire life)
View Quote
Does that include the 40+ crowd? I am single.......
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:08:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Does that include the 40+ crowd? I am single.......
View Quote
I'm not entirely sure, I'll have her ask for ya. From what I understand, the problem is because it's such a small town, everyone end's up dating the same people at some point, and some have STD's and spread them around that way. I know it's bad in the 12-30 year old age groups
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:18:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Checked out Dinis Brothers on Friday.  Fairly decent pizza, I'll probably go back again.  Thanks for the tip!
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:38:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Checked out Dinis Brothers on Friday.  Fairly decent pizza, I'll probably go back again.  Thanks for the tip!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check out the wings at Tailgators.

The two Mexican places are not bad, but I give a slight nod to the one on 360 at 501. The one on Halifax road is okay, but the other is just a bit better.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:44:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Tailgators is on my short list of places to check out.  Good to know about the Mexican food, too.

Do you know of anywhere in the area to shoot?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:07:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Tailgators is on my short list of places to check out.  Good to know about the Mexican food, too.

Do you know of anywhere in the area to shoot?
View Quote
No, I don't. But there has to be somewhere. There's some hunting clubs around and I would gather there are places to shoot. There's too much open land for there not to be.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:00:19 AM EDT
[#20]
There's a nice Civil War park with earthworks and a museum, walking trails, etc. at the Staunton River Battlefield Park, on the river right down the road from downtown Clover.

As an aside, how in the hell did you get a job in Clover?  The whole place really is barely there at all.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:50:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
There's a nice Civil War park with earthworks and a museum, walking trails, etc. at the Staunton River Battlefield Park, on the river right down the road from downtown Clover.

As an aside, how in the hell did you get a job in Clover?  The whole place really is barely there at all.
View Quote
OP is in South Boston, not Clover. There isn't shit in Clover other than the post office.

I live in SB and work in Clover at the power station. In between isn't shit other than a gas station in Scottsburg.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 7:06:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Civil War pal sounds like someplace I need to check out.

I work in Halifax, but live just outside of South Boston.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:37:46 PM EDT
[#23]
OP, to answer your question on gunstores, there's one next to Tractor Supply and one over in Halifax that I know of.

Been to Bistro1888, it's damn good. Not cheap, but damn good. See Stacey at the bar

Went up to Lynchburg today and did some fishing. Had a good time. Not much on the way though.

South Boston is pretty much it around here. Tailgators has gotten to know me and my guys quite well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top