Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/5/2014 8:28:39 PM EDT
One bill already filed.

SB154

Hunting on Sundays. Allows hunting on Sundays under certain circumstances. A person may hunt waterfowl, subject to restrictions imposed by the Director of the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, and a landowner and his immediate family or a person with written permission may hunt or kill any wild bird or wild animal, including nuisance species, if they hunt on the landowner's property. However, the aforementioned hunting activities cannot occur within 200 yards of a house of worship. The bill prohibits the hunting of deer with dogs on Sunday.

Full text:
12/31/13  Senate: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/08/14 14100954D  pdf

12/31/13  Senate: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/08/14 14100954D
12/31/13  Senate: Referred to Committee on Agriculture, Conservation and Natural Resources
View Quote

Will probably pass the Senate, be referred to Lee Ware's dirty committee and be passed by indefinitely.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 2:18:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Unfortunately, you'll probably be right.  As much as we all would love to see Sunday hunting, it seems highly unlikely given the proposal's fate in recent GA sessions.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 5:31:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unfortunately, you'll probably right.  As much as we all would love to see Sunday hunting, it seems highly unlikely given the proposal's fate in recent GA sessions.
View Quote

Yeah the biggest groups you can thank for that are the Farm Bureau and the VA Dog Hunting Alliance.  Fucks be upon them both.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 11:59:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yeah the biggest groups you can thank for that are the Farm Bureau and the VA Dog Hunting Alliance.  Fucks be upon them both.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unfortunately, you'll probably right.  As much as we all would love to see Sunday hunting, it seems highly unlikely given the proposal's fate in recent GA sessions.

I read something similar on the OpenCarry.org forum.  Why would the dog hunting people be against Sunday hunting?
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 3:49:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I read something similar on the OpenCarry.org forum.  Why would the dog hunting people be against Sunday hunting?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because the head if the VADHA is a religious nut that wants to force his beliefs on everyone else.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 4:00:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Because the head if the VADHA is a religious nut that wants to force his beliefs on everyone else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are also pissed that the proponents of Sunday hunting are the same ones that put forth an effort to restrict dog hunting after the big dog hunting study came out a while back.  They weren't happy with the study results either so they like poking a stick in everyone's eye that was associated with it.

The bill last year also specifically prohibited hunting with dogs on Sunday.

You can read some of their twisted logic of both counts in their newsletters:

vahda.org/PDFs/NewsletterSept14_2013.pdf
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 5:32:43 AM EDT
[#6]
The farm bureau are the ones holding it up.  They have the juice to kill it despite the economic benefits for the state that are undisputed.

This is an issue that a person with standing (ie got a ticket for Sunday hunting) needs to sue the state for passing a law support in organized religion restricting others rights.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 3:07:14 PM EDT
[#7]
It would be awesome to go out on a Sunday afternoon and be able to hunt with no dogs running the hell out of deer.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I've nothing against hunting with dogs.  We've been hunting with dogs in Virginia for as long as anyone can remember.  It's a tradition.

That said, let's hunt on Sunday.  Come on.  This is insanity.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:42:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, it's not going anywhere until Lee Ware retires or leaves that committee. I despise his decision on that, and am in his district, but he's not going anywhere. This issue aside, he's a relatively decent state rep. Even hunters in my district vote for him pretty solidly.

On deer with dogs....I need some help understanding this after a decade or so of hunting in VA.
I know I'm a carpetbagger, but I'm still not getting how dog hunting of deer is supposed to work. Sure, dogs bust deer out of heavy brush where they're otherwise unapproachable by still hunting in late season, but they also make them spooky as hell and drive them into even deeper cover, all at full speed so you get nothing but terrible running 100yd+ "texas heart shots" at flagging and sprinting deer butts through thick brush, even assuming you can stay with the running dogs.  I have no idea how the actual people who organize the dogs to hunt happen to kill anything when the dogs jet ahead of them, and anyone on a stand being driven to must have to be miles away before the deer slow down below top speed to that slower semi-nervous walk that happens to be a decent time to shoot them. I've benefited from those easy to shoot fast trotting deer whose attention is preoccupied by the dogs that were trailing them, but I'm usually miles from where the drives start. I guess if you had some really, really predictable funnels and a HUGE tract of thousands of acres and gazillions of hunters to drive them to it could work, but darned if I can figure out the sense of it for the guys organizing the driving.  Is the rationale just that at least this way you get more action than stand hunting over a food plot, or still hunting, and that those methods would be useless by the time firearms season rolls around?
I understand other dog hunting with shotguns just fine (rabbits, upland game,etc), but I don't have to worry as much about where my load of high brass #6 is going when I shoot at a rabbit, as I do popping off a .308 in the woods...

Link Posted: 1/23/2014 4:33:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks like a Sunday hunting bill is bypassing the committee and going to the full house for a vote.  At least that is how I am reading it.  Sounds like we might have a good chance this year.

Sunday Hunting
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 7:29:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I called my delegate and senator. Thanks for the update!
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Will contact my delegate and senator as well!
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 12:57:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yeah, it's not going anywhere until Lee Ware retires or leaves that committee. I despise his decision on that, and am in his district, but he's not going anywhere. This issue aside, he's a relatively decent state rep. Even hunters in my district vote for him pretty solidly.

On deer with dogs....I need some help understanding this after a decade or so of hunting in VA.
I know I'm a carpetbagger, but I'm still not getting how dog hunting of deer is supposed to work. Sure, dogs bust deer out of heavy brush where they're otherwise unapproachable by still hunting in late season, but they also make them spooky as hell and drive them into even deeper cover, all at full speed so you get nothing but terrible running 100yd+ "texas heart shots" at flagging and sprinting deer butts through thick brush, even assuming you can stay with the running dogs.  I have no idea how the actual people who organize the dogs to hunt happen to kill anything when the dogs jet ahead of them, and anyone on a stand being driven to must have to be miles away before the deer slow down below top speed to that slower semi-nervous walk that happens to be a decent time to shoot them. I've benefited from those easy to shoot fast trotting deer whose attention is preoccupied by the dogs that were trailing them, but I'm usually miles from where the drives start. I guess if you had some really, really predictable funnels and a HUGE tract of thousands of acres and gazillions of hunters to drive them to it could work, but darned if I can figure out the sense of it for the guys organizing the driving.  Is the rationale just that at least this way you get more action than stand hunting over a food plot, or still hunting, and that those methods would be useless by the time firearms season rolls around?
I understand other dog hunting with shotguns just fine (rabbits, upland game,etc), but I don't have to worry as much about where my load of high brass #6 is going when I shoot at a rabbit, as I do popping off a .308 in the woods...

View Quote

For what it is worth, most of the dog hunting counties and areas are shotgun only areas too.  I am not a huge fan of dog hunting vs stand or still hunting (grew up in the western portion of the state where they don't do that), but when done correctly it is safe and can be very action packed.  In my limited experience the fellows following the dogs are running the dogs, not actively hunting themselves (slung shotguns or nothing).  The hunters are usually  posted on pre established  stands or spots in the woods (and don't leave them for safety reasons), and the dogs work the area and give chase when they run one up.  I have had deer run within 15 yards of me and stop to listen for the dogs that are a ways behind them.  Dog hunting doesn't necessarily = long shots.  It does usually mean that late season hunting is TOUGH.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 2:01:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Looks like a Sunday hunting bill is bypassing the committee and going to the full house for a vote.  At least that is how I am reading it.  Sounds like we might have a good chance this year.

Sunday Hunting
View Quote

The house bill bypassed the sub committee (death committee) and went to the full committee.  It passed the full committee and is now headed to the full house for a vote.

Best chance we have seen to get it passed, but it still has a long way to go.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 2:01:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Sunday Hunting
View Quote

Lets keep our fingers crossed.

I've never been able to comprehend why I'm not allowed to hunt on my own damn land ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. It's really screwed me out of a lot of hunting time, as for the last 7 years up until this past season Sunday has been my day off with hours that preclude hunting the rest of the week.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 5:16:52 PM EDT
[#16]
This might explain why there hasn't been any action on SB154.  That bill is very similar in language to the passed house bill.  

Very confident that the HB will pass the house and senate.  But it seems to be a regular game, a bill will pass in one, get batted around and then die on the vine in the other.  Quite pleased this bill didn't get referred to a subcommittee.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 10:42:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Based on the House debate, doesn't look good.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:14:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Based on the House debate, doesn't look good.
View Quote

Bill is listed as Engrossed, I read that means amendments are incorporated into it.  Is there another vote on it now in the house or has it passed the house and on to the senate?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:54:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 8:21:38 AM EDT
[#20]
I figure with the Dems now in office this is the best chance in years for getting Sunday hunting signed into law. No one is ever going to mistake McAwful for a religious zealot.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 8:44:17 AM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

It passed but I expect it to die when it goes to the Senate.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 8:47:13 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm cautiously optimistic about the bill's chances in the senate. The HB has several senators as co-patron. This might finally happen.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 8:55:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Even my antigun senator Marsden has signed on as a co-sponsor.

A similar bill passed the senate 2 years ago.

I think we got a good shot on this one.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 12:03:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Passed in the house today now on to the Senate where this same version passed two years ago.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:19:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Passed in the house today now on to the Senate where this same version passed two years ago.
View Quote

The version that passed 2 years ago did not have the exclusion for dogs on Sunday did it?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:23:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The version that passed 2 years ago did not have the exclusion for dogs on Sunday did it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think it did.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:33:54 PM EDT
[#27]
So I read the bulletin from the dog hunting people posted in this thread.  I'm now less clear about why they oppose Sunday hunting than before I read it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 6:20:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Just called my senator in support of SB 154. Please call and voice your support. We are almost there!
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 8:07:58 AM EDT
[#29]
This would be an answer to prayer.   Sunday is my only day off.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 12:50:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This would be an answer to prayer.   Sunday is my only day off.
View Quote

Call your senator and tell them to support it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 10:44:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Seems to still be making its way through.....
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 12:58:46 PM EDT
[#32]
hmm, still in play.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 4:33:04 PM EDT
[#33]
The Senators opposed are certainly running a full-court press to keep the bill from being debated. Will be lucky to get the third reading in before crossover.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 1:00:27 PM EDT
[#34]
3rd reading and a vote should be on Monday.  McAwful has said he will sign it if it gets to his desk.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 2:56:37 PM EDT
[#35]
All,

I'm sorry I've been unaware of the interest in the subject on this forum.  I'm heavily involved in this push here in Richmond and have worked on it for a few years now.  We are very close.  Closer than ever in fact.   We still have a lot to do.  

Please visit Virginia Sunday Hunting.org to see more on why we need Sunday hunting.  

Also, click below to send your Senator a note asking them to support SB154.  The link is via the NSSF site and it will take you 10 seconds.  

NSSF Contact Your Senator Here

any questions please let me know.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#36]

They are also pissed that the proponents of Sunday hunting are the same ones that put forth an effort to restrict dog hunting after the big dog hunting study came out a while back.  They weren't happy with the study results either so they like poking a stick in everyone's eye that was associated with it.

The bill last year also specifically prohibited hunting with dogs on Sunday.

You can read some of their twisted logic of both counts in their newsletters:

vahda.org/PDFs/NewsletterSept14_2013.pdf
View Quote

Actually those of us leading the charge had no opposition to dog hunting ever and never led a charge to ban dog hunting after the dog study.  That is a lie created by Kirby Burch, the dictator of the VAHDA.  

The bill in 2012 was amended in the Senate Committee hearing to exclude deer dog hunting after Kirby ranted on for 30 minutes about being neighborly in the country and not angering the community with dog hunting on sundays....saying they needed a day of rest from the dogs and the dogs needed a day or rest too.  So we amended the bill per his request.

Kirby Burch has done more to harm dog hunting with his lies and his deceit to the dog hunting network that is the VAHDA than anyone.  So much so that there is now discontent in the VAHDA from his leadership and positions.  There are many dog hunters who are for hunting on Sunday and are extremely pissed Kirby sold them down river.
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 9:21:37 AM EDT
[#37]
SB154 has passed the senate.  HB1237 has passed the house.

Now one of them need to pass the other after cross over?  Or since they are identical it just goes to the govoners desk?
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 9:39:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
SB154 has passed the senate.  HB1237 has passed the house.

Now one of them need to pass the other after cross over?  Or since they are identical it just goes to the govoners desk?
View Quote

AFAIK, one needs to clear the other body. Both referred to committee tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 3:08:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Fingers crossed!!!!
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 8:13:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Damn shame I had to wait till I turned 59 for Sunday hunting to happen (if it does), all those hunting vacation days I wasted over the years.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 12:38:05 PM EDT
[#41]
I just heard on the local news that it was on the way to the Gov for his signature! Hope it's true...
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 2:53:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I just heard on the local news that it was on the way to the Gov for his signature! Hope it's true...
View Quote

Not yet. Both bills are still in the corresponding committees. Today was crossover day, so respective committees will be taking the bills up over the next couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 7:12:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Not yet. Both bills are still in the corresponding committees. Today was crossover day, so respective committees will be taking the bills up over the next couple of weeks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Senate is taking up house bill on Thursday if this snow doesn't f things up.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 1:36:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Fucking bullshit that you can't even plan a weekend hunting trip in this state. I took my boss and his son to my buddies farm in Bedford for opening day of rifle this year. Packed all our stuff drove 3.5 hours, hunted Saturday and drove our asses back home the next day. BULLSHIT!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 2:32:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sigh....I guess the holy-rollers still have time to tell everyone involved that they are going to hell if they vote for Sunday hunting.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 11:02:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Now it is true.  HB1237 passed the senate today and is on its way to the governor for signature.

SB154 is still in the house, but it doesn't need to move forward.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 4:08:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Thank god McAuliffe is a bird hunter.  Give him a chance to take his Dicks Sporting goods Beretta out and knock down some ducks this fall on Sunday.  I heard he will sign it, but I will call just for good measure.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 4:22:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Don't care about hunting nor do I hunt (I'm lazy and it's too early in the morning for me) but I'm glad to see that our hunting breathern will be able to enjoy their hobby/passion for a few extra days now.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 5:20:00 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Don't care about hunting nor do I hunt (I'm lazy and it's too early in the morning for me) but I'm glad to see that our hunting breathern will be able to enjoy their hobby/passion for a few extra days now.
View Quote

sonovabitch!  this must be my troll account.  

You described me perfectly.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 8:39:15 PM EDT
[#50]
IT PASSED!!!! SUNDAY HUNTING FOR ALL!!!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top