Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2002 2:44:55 PM EDT
Anybody interested in going to Bull Run Shooting Center and shooting some clay pigeons?  They several skeet and trap fields, a wobble trap, and a nice 5 stand setup.  They rent O/U shotguns as well as autos and have a full complement of ammo.

Anyone, anyone?

Let me know.

Ed
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 3:05:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I've shot there before.  Pretty nice place and close to home.  I might be interested in the spring or at least once the weather gets warmed up some.

Link Posted: 12/28/2002 3:07:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool.  My best friend and I shoot there and in Piggy County in MD.

Let's shoot for at least a 50 degree day...huh?
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:06:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm there every Thursday.  They have a league shoot but others can shoot in the evening.  The league is pretty cool.  Each week is a different game.  Skeet, trap, wooble, 5 stand, sporting clays (at night!), back up trap (I hate that one) and double skeet.  I'll be there this week around 6:30 after hunting.

Link Posted: 12/30/2002 6:02:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I've only shot skeet or trap, can never remember which is which, twice.  But I have my trusty 175 dollar Sports Authority Remington 870 ready for action.    I don't think my Benelli would do very well.

Skeet is one thrower and strait away correct?  "The easy one" heh.

Link Posted: 12/30/2002 6:05:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Nope that is trap......

Skeet is 8 stations radially aligned hi/low

Ed
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 7:37:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've only shot skeet or trap, can never remember which is which, twice.  But I have my trusty 175 dollar Sports Authority Remington 870 ready for action.    I don't think my Benelli would do very well.

Skeet is one thrower and strait away correct?  "The easy one" heh.

Dude, we've gotta get you shooting wobble trap.  That's the easy one.  I'm no expert with a scatter gun but I shoot 23 and 24 out of 25 on wobble.  I'm a consistent 16 on skeet and 18 on trap.

Seriously guys, if anybody thinks they might come out on Thursday evening, give me a call at 703-915-0295 and we'll hook up.  I've got to shoot a few rounds for the league.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 7:41:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Shot my first perfect round on wobble 25:25.

I usually get 20-23 on skeet, I usually miss two shots between 3 4 and 5.

A pump gun will be hard to use on skeet, not so hard on trap.  Wobble trap will be adventurous with a pump as the key is keeping your head on the gun.

Cliffy:

I'm 50/50 on making it.  I have the Blue WRX.  I'll also, likely have on a New York Mets hat.

Do they have lights?  How late do they shoot?  What time will you get there?

Ed
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 11:39:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll be wearing cammo pants and hunting boots.  I'll probably arrive around 6:30 unless I get a late deer.  They shoot until 9:00 and the ranges are well lit.

I'm driving a white Tundra with temp tags.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:11:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Can't make it tonight, I have to wire some electrical stuff in my kitchen as the deadline for install has moved to THIS Sunday.

My mom, dad and G-Dad are helping and they all said it's getting done this weekend.

Nobody asked me....
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 12:00:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Ed,
The Isaac Walton over at Centerville has been pretty empty latey. Dunno the club rules but my buddy Mark (he was the other flip at our last shoot in Hite Hallow)is a member and had gotten me in there and it was pretty cheap(something like 2.50 a round of skeet for guests).
Anybody else is a member there?
DD
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 1:38:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm a member at IWLA.  I think you can only shoot skeet/trap Wednesday and weekends.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 10:51:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm glad you bailed last night.  At 6:30, I was just loading the last deer into the truck out in Amissville.  We killed 4 yesterday (actually 5 but one was washed away in the river).  By the time we were done gutting and loading, there wasn't a snowball's chance in hell of going out for clays.

Next week though... I'll be there.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 6:40:45 AM EDT
[#13]
OK Shivan or anybody else.  I WILL be at the clays range on Thursday the 9th.  I've got a few make up rounds to shoot from the league so I'll probably start around 4:00 and be there until 6 or 7, depending on what I shoot and with whom.

I'll be the guy with the white Toyota Tundra, wearing a Toyota hat, black shooting vest and carrying a Browning 425 (unless shooting trap or skeet in which case it is a Beretta 391 Extreme in camo).
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 8:29:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Not to hyjack your thread,(i know O/U's are good for trap/skeet) but I have a small collection of Over and Under shotguns that i'm selling. My intrests have changed and i'm selling them to buy other stuff. One is a Trap model, 31" barrel (i think...mabye 32") If any of you might be intrested in one of them they range from $600-$1800 shipped to your FFL. I can email pictures, I dont want to post them here to fill up your thread. One of them can be seen in the EE section under 'Rifles and Shotguns'. All of them are 12 gauge Huglus, NIB.

one last note: i'll be at the Richmond gunshow this weekend, if anyones intrested in buying one (or more) we can do a face to face transfer at the show.
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 12:06:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Spring time is here......anyone interested in going on Sunday maybe?
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 10:07:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I'd be interested in a weekly AR15.com "shoot-out" at Bull Run Shooting Center. I haven't been out there since my little girl was born (2+years) my wing shooting skills are a bit rusty but I would like to get back into it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 10:46:16 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm in... but weekends suck for me.  Wednesday evening is great, with Thursday's a close second.  I need to get back into clays.  I've only shot once since January.  The Browning 425 is feeling neglected in the safe.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Wednesdays would be IDEAL for me.....

Anybody else?
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 6:25:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Seriously, if you're up for this Wednesday, let's do it.  I can be there by 6.  If anybody else wants to come out, let me know because I have a couple of spare shotguns.  The rentals are probably a better bet but let me know.  

Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:46:25 AM EDT
[#20]
I could do Wednesdays. 6pm may be a little hard due to traffic at that time but I could probably get out there by 7pm.

Edited to say that I'm a low score (but SAFE) clays shooter. I hope nobody minds.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 9:13:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Alright Makarov, 7 is OK but it does rule out sporting clays.  6:30 is about as late as you can check in and expect to get a full round in.  I'm partial to clays but there is plenty of other stuff to shoot.  5 Stand is a real challenge and my normal score is 16 to 18 out of 25.  I don't enjoy it as much as regular clays but its a good second.  Wobble trap is fun but almost too easy.  I'm a consistent 24 out of 25.  Skeet is frustrating and trap bores me.

So... we've got Shivan, Makarov and Cliffy meeting up for a bit of clay target fun on Wednesday evening.  Anybody else?  It doesn't matter if you are good or not.  Just come to have fun.  We are all novices at something!
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 9:23:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Might want to double check the hours they are open.

They have been weird lately.  They have been closing at 5pm on Sat and Sun....

Do we know for sure they will be open at 6pm?

Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:11:39 PM EDT
[#23]
I could do Wednesdays. Need a loaner or a rental though. And its been about 15 years....

When?

--LS
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:15:07 PM EDT
[#24]
I will be there this Wednesday.  Probably get there around 5pm or so.

Ed
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:27:53 PM EDT
[#25]
They are open from 4 until 9 or 9:30 every weekday afternoon.  I can get there by 6, but Makarov said 7 is his time.  What time works for the rest?  If we do 7, clays is out.  If we do 6, Makarov is out.  If we do 5, I'm out.

Now Longshot... I'll bring a Beretta semi for you but feel free to rent if you like.  They've got some really nice ones.

What do you guys want to shoot?  Clays, 5 stand or wobble trap?

e-mail me at [email protected] for my cell phone number.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:40:05 PM EDT
[#26]
I like to shoot skeet.....that's me though....I can shoot 5 Stand if it's open....
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:26:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Then I really hope 5 stand is open.  I really don't like skeet.  My 425 is too muzzle heavy for it.  I'd prefer regular sporting clays.  If we have 4 or 5 of us there, we'll have enough for a private squad.  No need to worry about what the other guys think if its just us.  

Hey, how about that guys.  Meet up at 6:00 for a rounds of sporting clays.  That way, we don't have to worry about how anybody looks to an "expert" or slowing down a league type shooter.  

If this works for 4 or 5 of us, I'll call over and make sure they have a puller for us.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:06:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Are we on?  I have my stuff in the trunk ready to go.....

Ed
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:10:06 AM EDT
[#29]
I currently plan on showong up with a friend...

Target time is 5:00

--LS
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:24:57 AM EDT
[#30]
5:00?  You guys are killing me.  I'll see if I can sneak out early and meet you then.  I've got 3 shotguns in the truck and am planning on going.  Y'all realize we may have thunder, lighning and hail this afternoon right?
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:26:30 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
5:00?  You guys are killing me.  I'll see if I can sneak out early and meet you then.  I've got 3 shotguns in the truck and am planning on going.  Y'all realize we may have thunder, lighning and hail this afternoon right?

Well, then we will reassess the conditions.  If it is raining they won't be pulling -- at least that's what they have told me.  Remember, if it's raining in Springfield it has likely already passed Centreville.  

Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:17:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Oh I'm coming anyway.  What the hell else am I going to do all evening?  I'll take the chance.  They don't go home when it rains.  They'll wait it out, unless it gets dark and there is no sign of it letting up.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:39:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Welp, my friend and I are baggin it tonight due to weather. Though it is becoming a habit of mine to bail out of get togethers... (sigh)

You guys have fun!

--LS
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:33:14 PM EDT
[#34]
We made it........shot 2 rounds of 5-stand, one Sporting Clays and I shot one round of skeet.

Too bad you couldn't make it.....

I think next week may be the NRA.....
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 6:14:30 AM EDT
[#35]
I made it last evening(about 7:00)but I didn't meet up with anybody. I asked the guy behind the counter if any shooters from "AR15.com" had stopped by. He didn't know what the Hell I was talking about but did inform me no less than three times that I would not be permitted to shoot rifles on the fields. No problems, I shot a couple rounds of Trap (a 14 & 16) before it started to rain again. Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet anybody.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 6:17:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Makarov:

I left around 8pm.  I got in the round of skeet as I was drenched in rain.

I was driving the bright blue Subaru WRX.

Ed
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:48:44 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I made it last evening(about 7:00)but I didn't meet up with anybody. I asked the guy behind the counter if any shooters from "AR15.com" had stopped by. He didn't know what the Hell I was talking about but did inform me no less than three times that I would not be permitted to shoot rifles on the fields. No problems, I shot a couple rounds of Trap (a 14 & 16) before it started to rain again. Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet anybody.

We must have crossed at the porch.  I think I left around 7:30 after haning out with Ed for a while after the sporting clays.  Bummer.

The moron who reminded you about the "no rifle" rule was probably Mark.  Mark is the guy with the reddish blonde hair helmut and beard with no sense of humor.  The guys all make fun of him behind his back.  Don't sweat him.

I think this week, I'm going to head to the NRA range for some shooting with the FAL, M1A and .45.  I'll be there at 6:00 if y'all want to meet up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top