Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2006 9:16:27 AM EDT
Hi Folks,

I'm looking to find a good pistol handling/firing class for my older sister who lives in Va. Beach.

She wants to buy a pistol, but wants to take a class first and learn what type of pistol she can handle well.

Any ideas????

Best Regards,

Zip.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:33:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Hmm... You could try the range locator under services most well equiped ranges will have classes and rentable weaponary.  But that is just heresay never bothered to go the a range, thinking about setting up a personal range though.

Edit 1:36 Whoopise Range Locator down... well you could check with the police department they generally know about those types of recreations.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:16:37 AM EDT
[#2]
The A&P on Lynnhaven teaches a CCW class, and I believe they have guns for rent as well. There are numerous ranges in the area where she can practice once she buys a gun. In Newport News there is a place called the Marksman that also does handgun rentals, though I don't know if they teach a beginners class.

There are likely others (Bob's in Norfolk comes to mind), but I've never been to them, so I won't put my foot in my mouth.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:16:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Send her to A&P Arms in VAB and tell her to ask for Ed Morningstar, a long time friend of mine.  Tell 'em Tom sent ya.  I take it she's a new shooter, so she'll really want some personal one on one instruction to boost her confidence and set her on the right path.

Ed is a retired US Navy shooter, Camp Perry veteran, retired VAB sherrif, and has accounted for more dead US enemies than AIDS and cancer put together!  Seriously, though, Ed coaches more ladies than anyone I've ever seen, and they all come away satisfied and most become avid shooters, and at least confident in their abilities to defend themselves should the worst happen.  He won't let her get whatever someone tells her to get, he'll show her how to shoot properly and help her select the proper tool for her job!

Shooters in Norfolk teaches a great legal course, but I wouldn't call their shooting portion "instruction"

Bob's in Norfolk teaches a great legal class and does a pretty good job of instruciton, but it'll be a group thing.

Nothing in the area will beat the personal service she'll get from Ed, though.  Money and time well spent.  A good close second would be "Big Rodger", also at A&P Arms.

Tom  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top