Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2006 5:56:10 PM EDT
im up here for a month for work is ther any gun ranges around here i can try to have fun at will im away from home
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:20:00 AM EDT
[#1]
The closest to you is going to be A&P Arms on off of Lynnhaven Pkwy.  There is an out door range in Pungo, and another indoor range @ Bob's Guns in Norfolk.  If you like to IDPA, check out Norfolk County Rifle Range (www.ncrr.com) for matches.  They are open to everyone for 5 or 10 bucks.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:41:01 PM EDT
[#2]
if you're military there is also an indoor range at the naval base in norfolk, near old dominion university.  apparently cheap ammo, cheap rentals, and i've heard either a 25yd or 50 yd backstop.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:51:28 PM EDT
[#3]
i am military put up here for my civillan job
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:21:06 PM EDT
[#4]
The military range is an MWR range located at Camp Allen which is a little compound within the Norfolk Naval Base complex.  It only has a 25 meter range, but is very user friendly and allows 5.56 as well as pistol calibers and shotguns.  I have heard they allow up to 7.62, I have seen folks there with AK variants, but not sure of the caliber, whether 5.45 or 7.62.

I think it costs $7 for a day pass up to $70 for a year. They also have memberships as short as 30 days, but not sure of the costs. I have a flier for them at my office and I will post in the next day or so.

Dan0076 did a pretty good listing of local ranges. Ft Story is a little out of the way and not really close to anything.  The MWR range at Camp Allen is probably your best bet as it has (I think) 18-20 firing points and is open to 2100 M-F and it's easy to find (after you've been there once) not far off I-64 West (from Ft Story). You go out the gate at Ft Story turn right onto Shore Drive go left on Northhampton, get onto I-64 West take the Terminal Blvd exit and once there your 10 minutes away from the range. It shouldn't take you too much more than a half hour to drive from Ft Story.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:34:50 PM EDT
[#5]
They allow up to 7.62x51mm at the MWR Range. my brother has a friend who shoots his G3 there, although what kinda  nut would want to shoot a G3 indoors, or on a 25m range is a good question
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
They allow up to 7.62x51mm at the MWR Range. my brother has a friend who shoots his G3 there, although what kinda  nut would want to shoot a G3 indoors, or on a 25m range is a good question

I just got done building a 1919A4, when I am ready to test fire it, since I have a membership there, I might as well.  Accuracy tests can wait till I build a tripod for it, but for function, Camp Allen is more than suitable seeing as my neighbors would be a little "put off" by me testing it in my garage  I do go there to test the AK's that I build, but i like the automatic carragies they have there, you can program them to go out, turn for a few seconds, and then turn away for reactive shooting.  The management there is a little lacking, but the range itself is VERY nice.  Specter_actual, if you would like to go shooting, IM me, I will be out of town until the 25th, but after that, you supply your ammo, I will supply the guns.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:53:26 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks for the invites and info i dont know when ill be able to go im normaly gitting off 1600-1700 and i have to work this saturday so that i hopfully dont half to work next sunday

edit to add:
im traning agroup of navy ETs and ITs how to operate some new radios and all of us army folk know how hard it is to deall with the navy jk
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:02:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Do you local guys want to organize a little shoot and dinner while specter_actual is in town?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:53:50 AM EDT
[#9]

edit to add:
im traning agroup of navy ETs and ITs how to operate some new radios and all of us army folk know how hard it is to deall with the navy jk

HEY!! I am a Navy ET!!  Just because you are army, I will not hold that against you, just do me a favor, "hook" up the IT's, some of them can be worse than those damn army guys!!!

Chris
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:05:59 AM EDT
[#10]
it kind of funny becuse i have to teach the ets how to operate and the its how to trouble shoot

edit to add

they are actualy a prety sharp group they picked up the fcc-100 in just a couple hours it helps that the it that i have was a former rm befor they made them its
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:14:18 AM EDT
[#11]
also when im driving around does my gun hafe to be in full view or in the glove compartment
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:55:35 AM EDT
[#12]
it'll have to be in full-view if it's a handgun and is loaded, i dont believe VA and SC have any sort of reciprocity deal. if it's unloaded, and the ammo is separated, you can "securely wrap" the firearm and put it in your trunk or glove box, as long as ammo is in the opposite space, so as not to be easily loaded.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:05:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Just check out BlackWater. Its a great facility & they have a shoot there once a month; They have two 360 degree shoot houses and there is always a side match - either carbine or tactical shotgun.  For the first shoot, you do not have to be a member of USPSA but its mandatory after that.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:47:11 PM EDT
[#15]
i dont have to work tommarow is ther any ranges open on sunday
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:20:45 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
i dont have to work tommarow is ther any ranges open on sunday

A&P off Lishelle will be open and the outdoor range in Pungo will open at noon.

I can't go today but I'll be @ the fort this afternoon riding my bike. If you see a guy on a blue Trek with tattoos all over his legs give a little beep
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:46:12 AM EDT
[#17]
i wont be at the fort today im staying in a hotel on the beach

i think im going to what intell next saterday becuse i got to laundry and crap like that today has any one been to the aquariam id like to know if its any good
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top