Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2006 6:10:09 AM EDT
I'm all for lawful demonstration and protest.

However, why are high school kids allowed to roam around the streets of Fairfax County, in an organized "mob", at 9:45am???

Do truancy charges no longer hold water in Juvenile Court?

There were no fewer than 5 uniformed and marked vehicles diverting traffic for these truant little pukes.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:40:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Are they pukes because you dont agree with their message?
People exercising the first amendment should be encouraged. At least these kids are going out and standing up for something they believe in. Agree or disagree with their message, it's better than sitting around doing nothing and complaining about stuff.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:48:11 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
People exercising the first amendment should be encouraged. At least these kids are going out and standing up for something they believe in. Agree or disagree with their message, it's better than sitting around doing nothing and complaining about stuff.

They are pukes because:

1.) They most likely aren't American citizens any way.
2.) They are part of the greater Aztlan Reconquista movement.
3.) Even if you agree with thier right to protest, we got the idea the FIRST day. 4 days in a row is pushing it.
4.) Most kids don't care what the issue is and would likely walk out of class because it was Mystery Meat Monday too.

Deport all illegals. It's the right thing to do.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:51:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

They are pukes because they are skipping school, screaming out "f--k you"'s to cars passing by who disagree with them, talking about the "pigs" sitting around watching them, etc.

My point, in case you missed it, is that it's 9:45am on a SCHOOL DAY.  In the not so recent past, that was known as truancy and would be pursued in this county.

I'm willing to bet that not more than 3 of them, out of maybe 75-100, had permission from their LEGAL GUARDIAN, OR SCHOOL, to be out of school.

Truancy, you know the legal word for unexcused abscense from school.  In other words, an illegal assembly of youth.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:52:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
They are pukes because:

3.) Even if you agree with thier right to protest, we got the idea the FIRST day. 4 days in a row is pushing it.
4.) Most kids don't care what the issue is

I would have to agree 100%.

It's funny that the movie comes out and suddenly the school walkouts start.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:00:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh yeah, since this all happened in the area in which I grew up, I'm CERTAIN that Fairfax County Police routinely hassled smaller congregations of kids who would drop out of LUNCH HOUR to hit McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, the mall, etc....

You're a high school kid who wants to protest???

Then do it on Saturday or Sunday.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:02:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are pukes because:

4.) Most kids don't care what the issue is and would likely walk out of class because it was Mystery Meat Monday too.

Thats funny. Looking at the pictures from the washington post
www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/gallery/2006/03/30/GA2006033001029_index_frames.htm?startat=undefined and from watching the news, it seems to be a very diverse crowd. Dont think most of those white and black people are here illegally. You are underminding how smart highschoolers are. I was a sub teacher for a few years in Fairfax and they are very aware of what is going on politically around them. Most History and Government classes make sure they keep up with current events. And since this area is very political, you better believe these kids know whats going on.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:04:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are pukes because:

www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/gallery/2006/03/30/GA2006033001029_index_frames.htm?startat=undefined and from watching the news, it seems to be a very diverse crowd. Dont think most of those white and black people are here illegally. You are underminding how smart highschoolers are. I was a sub teacher for a few years in Fairfax and they are very aware of what is going on politically around them. Most History and Government classes make sure they keep up with current events. And since this area is very political, you better believe these kids know whats going on.

Please tell me your joking.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:15:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are pukes because they are skipping school, screaming out "f--k you"'s to cars passing by who disagree with them, talking about the "pigs" sitting around watching them, etc.

My point, in case you missed it, is that it's 9:45am on a SCHOOL DAY.  In the not so recent past, that was known as truancy and would be pursued in this county.

I'm willing to bet that not more than 3 of them, out of maybe 75-100, had permission from their LEGAL GUARDIAN, OR SCHOOL, to be out of school.

Truancy, you know the legal word for unexcused abscense from school.  In other words, an illegal assembly of youth.

So you probably didnt agree with highschool walkouts during the civil rights movement either, eh?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:18:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are pukes because:

Seeing as how I know first hand what these kids are learning in school in this area, no, Im not joking. The same debates we have as adults these kids are having in school. They have GOP clubs and assorted commie and Dem clubs. They arent as ignorant as some people make them out to be.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:20:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
So you probably didnt agree with highschool walkouts during the civil rights movement either, eh?

The civil rights movement was about equal rights for all American CITIZENS.

You can't tell the difference?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:23:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Im going to walk away from this now before you start calling me a DU troll or whatever you call folks that dont believe everything you do.

People should be encouraged to exercise their rights or else they will lose them. You all need to remember our early US history.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:34:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are pukes because:

Like this?

While the hispanic students started the protest, I'm sure there WERE plenty of other students of all races who joined them....who WOULDN'T want a few more days of spring break?

Slackers.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:56:09 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Im going to walk away from this now before you start calling me a DU troll or whatever you call folks that dont believe everything you do.

People should be encouraged to exercise their rights or else they will lose them. You all need to remember our early US history.

Kids protesting on their own time and in a peaceful manner are as you state exercising their 1st Amendment rights.

However, when they walk out of school where tax dollars are expended for teachers, buildings, utilities, administration, etc, they cross the line.  They further cross the line when they protest without permit, obstruct traffic, divert police resources from other law enforcement functions, and generally create a public nuisance that each citizen has to put up with.

They are in school to learn social discipline & responsibility, among other things. What I see here is a total lack of discipline and responsiblity. That makes them pukes.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:04:43 AM EDT
[#14]
The students in the area are fairly aware of the politically charged and highly visible nature of the area, and they're using it.  I, personally, do not fully understand the law they're protesting, as I haven't taken a look at it myself.  However, as I understand it's a law that's "unfair" to illegal immigrants.  My view on it?

Don't float your ass across the 80 miles between Cuba and Florida and wash up on some beach.  Get your podunk raft to Ellis Island like my ancestors did and get yourself processed and legally accepted into the US.

More simply:

Illegal immigrants are foreign invaders and should be shot on sight.  If you want in this country, do it legally.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:52:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:04:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
TI, personally, do not fully understand the law they're protesting, as I haven't taken a look at it myself.  However, as I understand it's a law that's "unfair" to illegal immigrants.  My view on it?

Are they protesting the Senate immigration reform plan as being insufficient?
I'm pretty amused by local students protesting against the idea of kicking out illegal immigrants.
Entry level labor is like most other factors in the economy-if demand for labor stays the same or increases slowly as usual,and the supply of labor workers increases faster than demand for workers (through illegal immigration for example), wages will go down towards the wage floor. Guess who is going to either be getting paid less or not getting a job at all this summer? These very same high school students....

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:52:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Strawman?  How weak.

A small difference in equal rights for all US citizens, and amnesty and/or equality for ILLEGAL aliens.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:55:23 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
They arent as ignorant as some people make them out to be.

If the cops had done their job, and started detaining and dispersing the truant CHILDREN I think their parents would probably be arguing that they WERE in fact ignorant to violate the law in order to protest UNLAWFULLY.

Unlawful protests supporting unlawful aliens seems appropriate though.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:01:24 AM EDT
[#19]
They are pukes because they don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.  They should be in school being force fed the liberal line of crap their teachers spoon feed them.  Yeah, I remember the civil rights marches and I also remember the race riots in school along with innocent students being stabbed and beaten because they were in the right place at the wrong time.
Do a sweep of the schools AND these demonstrations, round up the illegals and ship them out of country, along with thier parent(s).
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:04:50 AM EDT
[#20]
www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/31/AR2006033100883.html?nav=rss_metro

The story here is about the group from this morning.  Apparently, my thoughts on their behavior were spot on....

Boy Stabbed at Immigration Bill Protest

By Daniela Deane
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, March 31, 2006; 12:33 PM

A 16-year-old boy was stabbed this morning at a small demonstration by high school students protesting proposed federal legislation that would crack down on illegal immigrants, police said.

Richard Henry, a spokesman for the Fairfax police, said the stabbing took place at 10:50 a.m. at S. Van Dorn Street and Castlewellan Drive in the Franconia area of Fairfax County. Henry said two men had been detained in connection with the incident.

He said the teen, who has not been publicly identified, was taken to Inova Fairfax Hospital, where he is in stable condition.

"Kids from as yet unknown high schools were demonstrating against the immigration legislation," Henry said. He said he had no other immediate details of the incident; he said about 75 students participated in the demonstration.

Yesterday, some 1,500 high school and middle school students in northern Virginia poured into the streets of Arlington in a similar protest. Draped in flags of Latin American countries and ignoring threats from school administrators, students from Arlington County, Fairfax County and Falls Church left school -- or skipped going altogether -- to converge at Ballston Metro and march to Courthouse Plaza in Arlington.

Police described that protest as peaceful but boisterous.

The demonstrators are protesting a bill approved by the House of Representatives in December that would impose stiff penalties on employers who hire illegal workers and would require businesses to eventually run the names of every employee through a national database to confirm their legality. Immigrants who sneak into the country would be treated as felons under the House bill.

Five double-layer border fences would also be built in California and Arizona, stretching about 700 miles at a total cost of more than $2.2 billion.

The House proposal has sparked huge protests in several U.S. cities.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:14:43 AM EDT
[#21]

I keep hoping INS will show up at these rallies and check for green cards!

Quoted:

Come out from behind that wall!  I can't hear your opinion!

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:24:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Alright, I'd like to state that I'm sorta against this law.  Illegal immigrants have no place in our country, but 2.2 billion for a freakin fence?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:38:23 AM EDT
[#23]
I saw a parade from an elementry school today with the flag of Mexico in front.  I was trying to figure what gives??

well, I guess even elementry kids are polically connected??  uhm..  well, never mind
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:26:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Elementary protesters, heh?
If I can help it, my daughter (now 2.5), will NEVER set foot in a Government RE-Education Center...

I would love to see Jay Leno show up for a "Jaywalking" episode and see how many of those high school protestors know anything about WHAT they are protesting against... Maybe ask some American History questions as well...

I get really steamed when people wave around another countries FLAG, in this case the flag of Mexico, IN THIS COUNTRY, the USA. I would be much more cool with it if they were waving US flags, to show that they are US citizens first but want to help their fellow Mexicans. But Noooo.......

Go back to Mexico then.... and don't let the border guard kick you in the a$$!

Rmpl
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:10:39 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Alright, I'd like to state that I'm sorta against this law.  Illegal immigrants have no place in our country, but 2.2 billion for a freakin fence?

It would MORE than pay for itself in the hospital, school and welfare money we'd save.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:24:36 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
They arent as ignorant as some people make them out to be.

As a TA, I totally disagree with this statement.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It would MORE than pay for itself in the hospital, school and welfare money we'd save.

Point.

As a TA, I totally disagree with this statement.

As someone who graduated from Fairfax County schools last June and is currently employed by a school system, I disagree with your total disagreement.  They aren't all as ignorant as some people make them out to be.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:40:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
They aren't all as ignorant as some people make them out to be.

I think he meant "MOST" or "MANY," which is how I read it "between the lines."

Rmpl
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:05:47 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They aren't all as ignorant as some people make them out to be.

I think he meant "MOST" or "MANY," which is how I read it "between the lines."

Rmpl

IF they are not all ignorant then they sure as hell know they are taking sides.  This is America.  We all came here over the last 399 years and left lands we did not wish to be a part of.   We all became American the second our familes hit the shore line and we were glad of it.  I love this Nation, and to see flags wave that are not of our Nation tells me this is about people picking sides.

This is about a people who do not wish to be American only to use America so they can keep their nation alive in a new host.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:46:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Don't worry, it will all be over in a generation or two, there is no way the other races are going to compete with the brown and black birth rate... then add CONTINUED illegal immigration... the USA will be a much different place in the future...

I say this as one who is married to a LEGAL immigrant from Columbia... so don't even do the race card with me...

Pat Buchanan had it RIGHT!

Rmpl
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:57:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:20:27 AM EDT
[#32]
As a Second-Generation hispanic-american (Dominican) i can with a clear conscience say:

if your A** is in this country illegally, then we have no responsibility to you whatsoever, and furthermore, it should be the american governments responsibility to eject your A** forcibly back to from whence you came.

My father immigrater here with his brother, sisters, and mother to NYC decades ago. my uncle served in the USMC, my dad served in the US Army, the DC capitol police, the uniformed secret service, and the federal marshalls. two of my brothers and myself serve in the US Army (one of my brothers and myself being Iraq vets) and my 3rd brother is a correctional officer in the fed BOP.  my family loves this country, and everything it did for us, and we don't think that anyone freeloading off of this country is a waste of taxes, and space.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:30:48 AM EDT
[#33]
There's a great article on netscape about this (link below).  A guy running for governor in AZ has a plan for all illegal immagrants they catch at the border - put them in a tent city and have them build the concrete wall on the border (and them presumably throw them over it when they're done?).  I thought it was pretty cool this guy carries his sidearm while working with the minutemen, too.  

cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/story.jsp?idq=/ff/story/0001/20060402/0023589664.htm

We all came from somewhere else, and I don't hold anything against people that want to come here (I don't blame them at all - I like it, and am not leaving).  I've been around the world (Mexico in particular) and don't blame them a bit.  Like has already been stated, though, the problem is 3-fold:

* They're doing it illegally.  We have legal immigration programs.
* They TYPICALLY expect benefits (medicare, education, etc.) that we pay for (and they contribute nothing towards).
* Their loyalty OFTEN stays with their home Country.  They send their money back and contribute nothing here, carry their Countries flag, etc.  

Don't get me wrong - if I lived in Mexico, I would do whatever it took to get here too.  However, that doesn't mean I have to leave my front door open for them!  We need a wall on the border.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:39:49 AM EDT
[#34]
A few things:

1.  "We" have been coming here for over 400 years and the first of "us" spoke Spanish.
2.  It's Colombia, not Columbia.
3.  Archie Bunker said it best when he said, "We've been having problems with foreigners ever since we started letting them in the country."
4.  The protestors may be relying upon a genuine issue of debate to legitimize their actions, but the flags, language, and behavior bely their true intentions.
5.  There is no INS anymore.  It's responsibilities were moved to DHS and spread to three components of that Department:  CIS; CBP; and ICE.  ICE is the agency that would show up to check immigration status internally.
6.  "Other races" and "brown and black birth rate" - There are only three "races", but a variety of ethnic groups.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:25:54 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
A few things:

6.  "Other races" and "brown and black birth rate" - There are only three "races", but a variety of ethnic groups.

You are now sounding like my wife... She always jumps on me for misspelling Colombia. I get Bogota right though...

I'm not an anthropologist, but I do think anglos, hispanics and blacks are seperate races? If not, I learned something...

From feedback I have heard or read, the protestors would have accomplished much more if they were waving American flags, as a statement, "I am an American first, Mexican second," rather than all Mexican flags. That really hurt them in the PR dept... Even people I call luke-warm liberals were turned off by it...

But I stand by my statement... in a few generations it won't matter much, as the USA will be a much different place with a whole new political power base.

Rmpl
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:02:06 AM EDT
[#36]
No problem with legal immigration here.  However, I have a problem with people protesting as if they are law-abiding citizens (which they are not) who are trying to change  an unjust law (which in this case the law is more than fair) .  I have a major problem when people come to this country illegally, who don't value our culture or the individual liberty (more or less) that holds this country together.

We have a big problem on our hands and it looks like it is getting worse.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:47:37 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Like this?

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=46025

Slackers.

Bulldog,

I hope you don't mind, I will give a "stab" at captioning the Picture...

Por La Raza Todo, Fuera de La Raza Nada!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:43:01 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are pukes because:

Seeing as how I know first hand what these kids are learning in school in this area, no, Im not joking. The same debates we have as adults these kids are having in school. They have GOP clubs and assorted commie and Dem clubs. They arent as ignorant as some people make them out to be.

___

Re:

"They arent as ignorant as some people make them out to be."

__

They are school children with an undeveloped view of their world, so to a large extent, they are quite ignorant.

That said, when they are contributing to society with legal, paying jobs that are taxed, and are able to vote, then they will have more credance in my book.

Similar, too, goes towards those who are undocumented / illegal.  Either become a citizen and pay your taxes rather than live in the U.S. as another tax-burden upon citizens.

I'm not anti immigration; I am anti illegal immigration.  That's a distinct point much that knee-jerker sympathizers fail to understand.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A few things:

You are now sounding like my wife... She always jumps on me for misspelling Colombia. I get Bogota right though...

I'm not an anthropologist, but I do think anglos, hispanics and blacks are seperate races? If not, I learned something...

From feedback I have heard or read, the protestors would have accomplished much more if they were waving American flags, as a statement, "I am an American first, Mexican second," rather than all Mexican flags. That really hurt them in the PR dept... Even people I call luke-warm liberals were turned off by it...

But I stand by my statement... in a few generations it won't matter much, as the USA will be a much different place with a whole new political power base.

Rmpl

What i think El Abogado is getting at is that there are three Major races (this may be un-PC, and i do NOT intend to offend anyone, but these are terms still used in Criminal Justice teachings for forensic purposes so i feel okay using it) Caucasoid, Mongoloid, and Negroid. there are different ethnicities associated with those races, like white = caucasoid, black = negroid, asian = mongoloid.  however hispanics are actually like the equal opportunity ethnicity in that you can be from any race and be hispanic. phillipinos are just as hispanic as a cuban with african roots or a northern spaniard with blue eyes and blond hair.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:24:19 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
A few things:

Rmpl

What i think El Abogado is getting at is that there are three Major races (this may be un-PC, and i do NOT intend to offend anyone, but these are terms still used in Criminal Justice teachings for forensic purposes so i feel okay using it) Caucasoid, Mongoloid, and Negroid. there are different ethnicities associated with those races, like white = caucasoid, black = negroid, asian = mongoloid.  however hispanics are actually like the equal opportunity ethnicity in that you can be from any race and be hispanic. phillipinos are just as hispanic as a cuban with african roots or a northern spaniard with blue eyes and blond hair.

Exactly.  

There are Spanish-speakers in Northern New Mexico and Southern Colorado who would get very angry if someone called them Mexican or Chicano.  They are Spanish, descended from Conquistadors and they did not, for the most part, intermingle with indigeonous peoples.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:21:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Yeah, thats why some people prefer the term hispanic (of spanish origin) over latino (of latin american origin).  and seriously, it's pretty confused, and theres a lot of terms and such for hispanic peoples that i get confused, theres no wonder that someone who is not hispanic would be very confused as to someones preferred "ethnic name".
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:04:17 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
A few things:

Rmpl

Most "hispanics" as we know them today are actually what was previously referred to (by those in South America) as "mestizos" or "mixed". The majority of what the average person would call hispanic comes from the intertwining of the indian populations of South and Central america with the caucasian europeans and black africans who arrived in the continent starting mostly in the 1500's.

I studied some Latin American history in college, and while I don't remember which culture it was, there was a culture that even fairly recently (1800s?) referred to it's citizens as one of 32 different variants of "mezcla" or mixture between white, indian, and black. According to this culture, the further on the scale a person leaned towards white, the more status they held in the society, with blacks ranking above indians.

I agree with those who say that immigration should be regulated. I am for a wall. As far as deportation, I'm not sure, I think I could swing with an amnesty period (as long as it includes full social security registration and IRS knowing about all of them, to ensure that everyone shares their own weight).

Do it legally. My family moved to the states before the nation as we know it existed, in the early 1600's. I guess since we predate the USA, we're "grandfathered". But we've also put family members in almost every single conflict since the nation's beginning. I had MANY buddies in the army who were EARNING their citizenship through service, and I commend each and every one of them.

Further, the point of the "melting pot" is to assimilate. Hang on to some respect and reverence for your former culture, but recognize that you are no longer there, and embrace and love the one you have now. While I may be of british and german descent (400 years back), I don't keep a british or german flag in my household.

I keep an American flag, a Virginia flag, and a POW/MIA flag.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:26:02 PM EDT
[#43]
One problem that seriously needs to be addressed is citizenship for servicemembers. as Pevrs114 brought up, there a lot of military members who are not citizens, and who joined hoping to become citizens. naturally they went through a pretty intense process in order to be allowed to join of screenings and stuff.  the problem is, these men and women still have to apply to be citizens just like any immigrant to this country, even though they are potentially laying their lives on the line for our country. i seriously think that if you have served in the armed forces, you should be given an immigration fast track once your service is up (or your first contract period for those who want to go career) as long as you have been honorably discharged.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top