Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2006 4:16:24 PM EDT
So I saw a rifle today on the picture post in the AR discussions and really liked what I saw. My question is anyone good at painting/air brushing rifles. I will attach picture to give you a hint as to what I am looking at doing.  

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:09:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm alright, but not that good.  That takes a lot of talent to get a good looking scheme like that.  If you needed something sprayed in a 1 or a few colors or maybe even a camo pattern I could help out, but I can't do designs like that.  MJD
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:32:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm somewhat of an artist, but never tried rifles....  I did/do sculpture, pastels and pencil.  SO tempted to work on a rifle but don't want to use my oven.....

doesn't look terribly hard though, especially with a template.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:58:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I've painted exactly one rifle (my deer rifle), and it's not spectacular.  

Thread with pics here

I'll also add a free advertisement for Grant's forum, I know many VA arfcommers are customers already.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:46:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like krylon and a stencil. Not the hardest thing to do in the world but it looks real good when it is done. What he has basically done is take green and tan cans of krylon camo paint (maybe black but he could have just left it the way it was. Then you tape off the stuff you do not want painted. Then it looks like he did stripes and then stenciled on the skull. If you can I would try it on a board or something first. From what I understand that krylon will come off with solvent too so if you screw up you can start again.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:48:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually, looking at it again it looks as if he might have put tan down first and did stripes of black.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:56:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Nope, but I've painted a handgun before  My dad basically asked me to paint him this picture in my art class, he wasn't expecting much.

The picture of the painting below doesn't show the entire painting, all the chips are there  This is what dad got:

I did that painting in my senior year of high school, it's the 3rd painting I've ever done with acrylics and it took 5 months of 50 minutes a day, 5 days a week in Art Class.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:22:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Its a wonder they didnt try to gank you for painting that in school. LOL
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:22:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I was actually rather surprised too, since it's alcohol, gambling, and firearms.  I wanted to add a cigar on top of the glass just to put icing on the cake
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:48:52 PM EDT
[#9]
If you want a functional job, do a base coat of tan, then get a couple of browns and od. Visit a pine tree and get a small section of branch w/needles. randomly place the needles on th estick and hit it with the other top colors.

It ends up looking great and is really effective. Trick is,  you want it to look good, but not so good to where you won't use it. Besides, even if you pay 300 for a custom one-it will still scratch-if you use it.

Mark
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:31:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If you want a functional job, do a base coat of tan, then get a couple of browns and od. Visit a pine tree and get a small section of branch w/needles. randomly place the needles on th estick and hit it with the other top colors.

It ends up looking great and is really effective. Trick is,  you want it to look good, but not so good to where you won't use it. Besides, even if you pay 300 for a custom one-it will still scratch-if you use it.

Mark

I have a fortune in my yard of pine trees!

Humm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top