Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2006 1:16:35 PM EDT
My roommate just called and told me are local walmart is now a crime scene. Aparently a couple was arguing and the guy shot hit girlfriend. This is radford, va. More to follow.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:43:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:36:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Over 3 hours later I have yet to see anything on the news or on our colleges news site.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:40:41 PM EDT
[#3]
What makes people do this I will never know.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:28:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Bare details can be found here.  An update can be read here.

As far as the lack of earlier reports, could be the LEOs asked for no news coverage until the incident was resolved ... which seems to have been six or seven hours after the actual shooting.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:00:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Damn that is one of my sources for WWB ammo.  I am sorry this happened but that Wal-Mart is near a pretty bad area (Parrot).  I hope this won't cause Wal-Mart to ban CCW's.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:00:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Damn that is one of my sources for WWB ammo.  I am sorry this happened but that Wal-Mart is near a pretty bad area (Parrot).  I hope this won't cause Wal-Mart to ban CCW's.

I used to fish at Parrot on the New back in 96-97 timeframe.  Has it gotten that bad?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:09:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I used to fish at Parrot on the New back in 96-97 timeframe.  Has it gotten that bad?

This is when I used to fish on that side of the river.  Parrot is full of belligerant drunks, methheads and crack whores.  One night we were fishing on the banks and a couple drunks told us that we were on "their spot" on the bank and we could leave or get our asses whipped.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:33:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Sad thing is it might cause them to ban guns. Though theres a big difference between concealed for protection and walking in with it in your hand and putting it to someones head. People will never learn criminals wont follow gun laws or any law thats why there criminals.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:52:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I bet they will have a new corporate policy against firearms.  And they might even stop selling ammunition.  And all of it right in time for when I turn 21.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:37:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Man i hope not, I like all of you love WM for ammo. That would really suck for us.  I remember when Sports Authority use to carry guns and then POLICY took over and bye bye guns... I hope Wal-Mart doesnt take it out on the rest of us.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:03:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I might be wrong, but I doubt it
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:05:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Sad thing is it might cause them to ban guns.

Quoted:
I bet they will have a new corporate policy against firearms.

Oh yee of faint heart ... Why would you even posit such a possiblity?

It would be more rational to expect Wal-Mart to ask -- their customers who can -- to please show up armed.  As illustrated here, legally armed customers can be an effective countermeasure to criminals who choose to visit violence on their victims at a business.  I sincerely wish that the NRA would actively seek out and support lawsuits against stores that have prohibited the presence of lawfully armed indivduals, and had a customer/employee killed, raped,  or kidnapped by a criminal.  The antis do the converse already ...

Whether the victim's presence at Wal-Mart could be predicted by the criminal (as was the case in the Albequerque case linked above), or whether the victim was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, a legally armed individual with proximity to the crime as it's going down can change the outcome ... to the victim's favor.  Just ask Joyce Cordova, who lived as a result of fact that (72-year old) Due Moore was armed with a pistol, and therefore could intervene effectively before Joyce's criminal ex-husband succeeded in killing her.   The more lawfully armed citizens there are, the higher the likelihood that armed criminals can be prevented from victimizing others.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:28:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Of course I agree with you 100%, but some Wal-Mart executive will convince the others that Wal-Mart is losing money because of the negative publicity they are receiving and that people think that Wal-Mart is unsafe and the majority of people will feel safe again when Wal-Mart posts up an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper that says "NO GUNS ALLOWED."

I know that's one of the things Virginia Tech has done to increase business.  The executive said so.  I don't like this school anymore.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:52:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Larry theres a good reason Im faint of heart. We all remember what Michael Moore did to kmart. Now they dont even sell hand gun ammo because of something they were never involved in. This guy could of/probably bought his guns and ammo somewhere else, but like was mentioned for some reason that sheet of paper and not selling ammo for some weird reason makes people feel safer. Why who knows, but thats how the corporation probably thinks. I guess if it happens the good news is for the gun shops all of us in radford and tech area will probably be doing more buisness at deans gun and roanoke firearms.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:56:27 AM EDT
[#15]
They had a big to-do on the news last night about it.  They interviewed the neighbor of the shooter

Neighbor "He seemed like he be an alright guy you know, he drank a little, was drunk every day you know but dat  how he just be, you know.  I thought he just be an average guy you know real nice you know, I was scared when them cops came, you know so I gots my kids out of the house incase some shoot'en got on you know but I wanned to watch, you know with them out of the house I ain't as skeered you know"

Then they interviewed another woman in the neighborhood she said "He was a creep and he gave me a bad feeling, I didn't know him because I didn't want anything to do with the man."
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:22:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is when I used to fish on that side of the river.  Parrot is full of belligerant drunks, methheads and crack whores.  One night we were fishing on the banks and a couple drunks told us that we were on "their spot" on the bank and we could leave or get our asses whipped.

Well i used to wade the river fishing for smallmouth.   Never had any problems but It was during the day most of the time in the AM.   Shame.  

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:38:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Now my family and friends understand why I carry even in Wal-Mart.  

The reason for the delayed new release was probably that the sheriff was in a armed standoff with the shooter who had returned home.  They did not want him watching the local news and learn the status of the victim.  They were tying to keep him from comitting suicide at that stage.  I can understand the reasoning.  

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:48:30 AM EDT
[#18]
You know, when i first started going to radford, my roommates (i live off campus) would ask why i felt the need to use my CCW in their small town, "what, do you think you're going to get shot at in Walmart?"...
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:15:22 AM EDT
[#19]
A friend from work just walked up to my cube neighbor and said "I think doc has figured something out.  He won't set foot in Walmart without a gun.  I think he knows something."  I chimed in with "Your damn right I have.  The stores are full of nuts."

That led to an interesting discussion and possible indoctrination of another future gun owner.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:23:04 AM EDT
[#20]
21 how you been going to school here? The was alot of shootings here in the past few years with only a few instances of people actually being hit. I think its all the wanna be thug trash that comes in is why you need a gun, but hey now yuo need it for grocerys. I can think of probably over 5 easy instances of people pulling guns and firing them in the streets around here.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:27:32 PM EDT
[#21]
I was supposed to go here fall '05, but the army decided to send me on an all expense paid tour of the middle east for a year, but i'm back and... yeah, darkside = outside the wire for me
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top