Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/9/2006 3:45:02 PM EDT
From weather.com:

ACUMULATING SNOW LIKELY THIS WEEKEND...

LOW PRESSURE IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP ALONG THE GULF COAST LATE FRIDAY AND THEN TRACK TO A POSITION OFF THE VIRGINIA COASTLINE BY SATURDAY EVENING. AS THE LOW APPROACHES THE AREA...PRECIPITATION WILL OVERSPREAD THE REGION BY SATURDAY MORNING. WITH SUFFICIENT COLD AIR IN PLACE...THE PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED TO FALL MAINLY AS SNOW ALONG AND WEST OF THE BLUE RIDGE...WITH A MIXTURE OF RAIN AND SNOW LIKELY FARTHER EAST INTO THE PIEDMONT. BY SATURDAY EVENING...IT APPEARS ENOUGH COLD AIR WILL MOVE INTO THE AREA TO PROVIDE SNOW FOR ALL AREAS.

AT THIS TIME...IT IS STILL TOO EARLY TO DETERMINE EXACT SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS...HOWEVER IT APPEARS THAT A MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOWFALL IS POSSIBLE ACROSS THE MOUNTAINS WITH LIGHTER AMOUNTS OVER THE PIEDMONT.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:26:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:36:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
They're calling for 1" of snow around here.

We better get to Food Lion cause Keysville gonn'a shut down.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:37:21 PM EDT
[#3]
hahahah 1" will cripple the place!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:10:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll believe it when I see it, and not until then. I've been jerked around too much this year by those weather whores.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:12:24 PM EDT
[#5]
What is snow?  Haven't seen any is so long, I might not recognize it.

1" in Richmond = Nightmare

Steve
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:39:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:51:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
1" in Richmond = Nightmare

Yeah. Couple months back I laughed at how much snow there was here.

Then I figured out it wasn't my driving that was gonna get me killed.

On my road they put down sand. Which the snow covered. I don't know what it was supposed to do.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:02:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Can't it wait till Sunday night so the Govt can close?  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:21:26 PM EDT
[#9]
0.25" will cause Fairfax, Loudoun & Prince William to cease all operations.  Traffic jams will certainly rival the "beach rush" and Thanksgiving traffic combined.

The soccer moms driving $50,000 SUV's with vehicle stability control and AWD/4WD will be filling them up with TP and milk, because apparently that same SUV they are driving can't handle 8"-16" of snow....

Even if it were to all fall at once.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:04:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I kind of hope we get a good bit, but with my truck in the shop I'm having to drive the wife's car.  Wouldn't make for very good snow driving even though I only have to cover 2 miles to get to work.

Hopefully dad will finish up with my truck today.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:41:34 PM EDT
[#11]
you all have fun, I'm headed to snowshoe in a couple hours, bring on the snow!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:04:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing. The bread and milk are probably sold out already.

Don't forget the TP.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:41:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing. The bread and milk are probably sold out already.

Don't forget the TP.

real men don't need TP we just wipe are ass' on the dog
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:45:56 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
0.25" will cause Fairfax, Loudoun & Prince William to cease all operations.  Traffic jams will certainly rival the "beach rush" and Thanksgiving traffic combined.

The soccer moms driving $50,000 SUV's with vehicle stability control and AWD/4WD will be filling them up with TP and milk, because apparently that same SUV they are driving can't handle 8"-16" of snow....

Even if it were to all fall at once.

By tonight there will be two bottles of manishewitz gefilte fish, four pakages of fake shrimp and two red peppers left in Shoppers.

I'm hearing they aren't sure about the snow and won't know till it hits the ground.  Temps hoverring around freezing on Saturday, under freezing on sunday, so rain/snow to snow.  Should be a  GREAT walk to synogogue saturday morning!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:26:21 AM EDT
[#15]
my gf is a nurse at fairfax so she is essential personnel.  and as i work at wegmans in fairfax well i guess i will have a ride to and from work--damn.  but don worry folks we are ordering extra from the warehouse to cover any surge in sales in the tp, canned food, dairy departments.  so if you are worried about food lion not having it, just roll on by my store.  

chapperjoe are you gonna walk to the old ymca down on 236?  it shouldn't be too bad, they plow that road pretty good.  and anyways doesn't my store remind you of home?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:43:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Here is the latest update:

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM THIS EVENING THROUGH LATE SATURDAY NIGHT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BLACKSBURG HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM THIS EVENING THROUGH LATE SATURDAY NIGHT.

SNOW WILL OVERSPREAD THE AREA FROM SOUTHWEST TO NORTHEAST TONIGHT. SNOW WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THE DAY SATURDAY AND TAPER OFF SATURDAY NIGHT. TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS POSSIBLE RANGE FROM 5 TO 8 INCHES IN THE MOUNTAINS...AND 4 TO 6 IN THE FOOTHILLS. FURTHER EAST WHERE RAIN WILL MIX WITH THE SNOW...LIGHTER AMOUNTS OF 2 TO 4 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE.

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL. CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS FROM THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:07:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I think it was 5 or 6 years ago they were calling for a dusting. We ended up with 22''.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:31:07 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
my gf is a nurse at fairfax so she is essential personnel.  and as i work at wegmans in fairfax well i guess i will have a ride to and from work--damn.  but don worry folks we are ordering extra from the warehouse to cover any surge in sales in the tp, canned food, dairy departments.  so if you are worried about food lion not having it, just roll on by my store.  

chapperjoe are you gonna walk to the old ymca down on 236?  it shouldn't be too bad, they plow that road pretty good.  and anyways doesn't my store remind you of home?

yeah, but I don't go on road!  I have to walk in teh mantua area and through a shortcut NEITHER of which are ever paved!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:01:39 AM EDT
[#19]
nice and in the 60-70s down here in Baton Rouge. Just a little rain today.  Have fun guys and gals.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:50:52 AM EDT
[#20]
I have 12 mags filled in-case Sasquatch shows up.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:54:39 AM EDT
[#21]
damn, and I really need to get some TP and food. Reckon I should do that on my break.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:14:28 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I think it was 5 or 6 years ago they were calling for a dusting. We ended up with 22''.

That was the great blizzard of '97 I believe.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:52:39 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was the great blizzard of '97 I believe.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard_of_1996
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:12:48 AM EDT
[#24]
They're predicting 10" in the NOVA area.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:22:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Shivan wrote:   The soccer moms driving $50,000 SUV's with vehicle stability control and AWD/4WD will be filling them up with TP and milk, because apparently that same SUV they are driving can't handle 8"-16" of snow....

Don't you just love the SUV drivers who think that SUV = "I can drive in the snow! As FAST as I want!"  - as if 4WD had ANYTHING to do with ability to BRAKE & STOP in the snow. Just love it when they zip around everyone at 65 MPH and tail-gate when conditions are at their worst.  Sometimes, I miss living in Buffalo.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:30:54 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Don't you just love the SUV drivers who think that SUV = "I can drive in the snow! As FAST as I want!"  - as if 4WD had ANYTHING to do with ability to BRAKE & STOP in the snow. Just love it when they zip around everyone at 65 MPH and tail-gate when conditions are at their worst.  Sometimes, I miss living in Buffalo.  

Yeah, that's the other extreme.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:42:05 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

January `96

I remember since Mrs. Tanker was pregnant, and we have a picture of her standing in the snow out
in front of our old place in a drift.

One of the few times that having a 4x4 paid off, as the entire area freaked and locked down, but since
I was considered "Essential Personnel" I still had to go to work at Lockheed. Nothing like tooling
down 28 and you're the only thing moving. The only other vehicle I saw the one trip must have been
one of those 'Soccer Mom' SUVs in the median, stuck!
One of our guys walked to work through that crap, and you could have stood his pants up in the corner
by themselves...

Our manager did give us $50 gift certificates to Outback for showing up and not calling off!

With this one - I'll believe it when I'm shoveling it off my driveway.... "The Storm is Coming!" has
been cried just too many times to get excited about it.....
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:51:56 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Come on now, they're the ones who supply the rest of us with spare parts from the salvage yards!

Ya gotta love em though - buying a $40K 4x4 whose only time offroad time will be if they accidently
back into the flowerbed.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:51:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Yeah, we had a rifle training shoot scheduled for Roanoke this weekend -- we called it off due to (a) potentially bad travel conditions, and (b) kinda hard for the students to concentrate on the finer arts of rifle shooting when they are freezing their balls off laying prone in several inches of snow.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:28:35 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Come on now, they're the ones who supply the rest of us with spare parts from the salvage yards!

Ya gotta love em though - buying a $40K 4x4 whose only time offroad time will be if they accidently
back into the flowerbed.

If FF class is cancelled, I'll be at the station all day Sunday so at least we will have something to do

Did you hear about the squad truck getting hit?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:52:04 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

DOH! No, what happened?

You still need that book?

I set some books aside, telling Mrs. Tanker and the movers "Leave this pile alone" and they
promptly disappeared. They were packing everything in sight unless you were holding onto it, or
sitting on it.

I think that they would have packed the cat, except she was too quick for them!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:47:17 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DOH! No, what happened?

You still need that book?

I set some books aside, telling Mrs. Tanker and the movers "Leave this pile alone" and they
promptly disappeared. They were packing everything in sight unless you were holding onto it, or
sitting on it.

I think that they would have packed the cat, except she was too quick for them!

We were responding to an entrapment. We were crossing the blvd against the red. Everyone was stopped and some dumbass going south bound noticed the lights were green and everyone was stopped so she decided to drive around everyone using the right turn lane(onto Holly) and smacked into the OIC door as we were driving by. I was in back and felt us hit something and thought it was the curb. I looked out the OIC side window and saw this car go spinning by and plow head first into a power pole on the sidewalk/medican thing next to the service road. We stopped and ran out.  Her car was fucked. All the bags went off. Front end destroyed. She had gotten out and was sitting and crying on the curb. I held c-spine. Around that time, the BLS unit rolls by on the way to the actual call, looking at us funny. Ashburn sent a unit over since all of ours were busy. We packaged her and I guess either on their unit or at the hospital, admitted to the cop that she went around and hit us.

The cab is warped, possible bent frame. In the shop now. The door was jammed shut. The OIC's boots were in the well between the door and the comparment. They are still stuck down there.

I dont need the book anymore. Thanks and sorry.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:07:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Update 6.00pm
HEAVY SNOW WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 9 PM THIS EVENING TO 6 AM EST SUNDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BLACKSBURG HAS ISSUED A HEAVY SNOW WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 9 PM THIS EVENING TO 6 AM EST SUNDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH HAS BEEN UPGRADED.

SNOW WILL OVER SPREAD THE AREA FROM SOUTHWEST TO NORTHEAST LATE THIS EVENING. THE PRECIPITATION MAY START AS RAIN...BUT WILL CHANGE TO SNOW BY EARLY SATURDAY MORNING. SNOW WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THE DAY SATURDAY AND TAPER OFF BY LATE SATURDAY NIGHT.

TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS WILL RANGE FROM 5 TO 9 INCHES.

A HEAVY SNOW WARNING MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE IMMINENT OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE AN ADEQUATE SUPPLY OF FOOD. CHECK PRESCRIPTIONS TO ENSURE AN ADEQUATE SUPPLY OF MEDICINE THROUGH THE DURATION OF THE STORM. CHECK FURNACES AND FUEL LEVELS...AND IF TRAVEL IS NECESSARY...MAKE SURE YOUR CAR IS WINTERIZED AND IN GOOD WORKING ORDER.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:28:40 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm so happy!

Why doe's it do this crap on the weekend?

Danny
vdot mech.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:32:02 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I'm so happy!

Danny
vdot mech.

Will you get any overtime pay?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:40:02 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm so happy!

Danny

vdot mech.

Yes, but it is one hell of a way to earn it.

Stuff happens and I fix it, ignorance and just plain laziness like not doing pre-trip inspections and finding small problems before they get big is really what pisses me off.

You have not lived till you have been atop Afton Mountain with snow and sleet blowing 50 mph laying under a truck at +/- 10 degrees replacing a hyd. hose while the operators are sitting in YOUR truck getting warm and snoozing.

Danny
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:42:32 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm so happy!

Danny

vdot mech.

Stuff happens and I fix it, ignorance and just plain laziness like not doing pre-trip inspections and finding small problems before they get big is really what pisses me off.

You have not lived till you have been atop Afton Mountain with snow and sleet blowing 50 mph laying under a truck at +/- 10 degrees replacing a hyd. hose while the operators are sitting in YOUR truck getting warm and snoozing.

Danny

x5 That sucks balls.  Maybe you will get enough overtime pay to get a Sig 556
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:02:06 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm so happy!

Danny

vdot mech.

Danny

x5 That sucks balls.  Maybe you will get enough overtime pay to get a Sig 556

Belive it or not, I only average about 20 hours of OT per year that is related directly to the snow season.

I do a good job during normal hours babysitting.

9 more years, 9 more years....

Danny
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:10:16 PM EDT
[#39]
My old mechanic rig. 1990 C3500

New and improved version,  2003 F350 4X4 6.0

Danny
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:18:07 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah, but I don't go on road!  I have to walk in teh mantua area and through a shortcut NEITHER of which are ever paved!

maybe you should invest in snow shoes or walk the long way around.  

and for the record the storm in 96 yielded close to 36" in fairfax after the second snow 2 days after the first 20-24" and yes i did make an igloo in the front yard.  after all i was 15 at the time and it was fun.  and damn did we have some good snowball fights and sledding.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:28:15 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
nice and in the 60-70s down here in Baton Rouge. Just a little rain today.  Have fun guys and gals.

Can we get a, get a job for our .gov peanut man?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:39:46 PM EDT
[#42]
SHWEET!

SNOW AND MORE SNOW

Will be thinking of everyone as I set in the loader feeding a snow meter on double time.

If you all ask nice I may take some photos of Z95, the great god of snow consumption.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:45:28 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
SHWEET!

SNOW AND MORE SNOW

Will be thinking of everyone as I set in the loader feeding a snow meter on double time.

If you all ask nice I may take some photos of Z95, the great god of snow consumption.

Tomorrow I will be playing on the 4wheeler and doing some shooting.  The one good thing about snow is it is really the only precipitation that you can be outside in and be happy about it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:45:34 PM EDT
[#44]
I have to work a Monster Truck Jam tomorrow...yippeee.  The two things I love the most, all in one evening - freezing my balls off and watching four thousand screaming rednecks.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:51:29 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I have to work a Monster Truck Jam tomorrow...yippeee.  The two things I love the most, all in one evening - freezing my balls off and watching four thousand screaming rednecks.

Talkin fun you are.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:53:00 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
SHWEET!

SNOW AND MORE SNOW

Tomorrow I will be playing on the 4wheeler and doing some shooting.  The one good thing about snow is it is really the only precipitation that you can be outside in and be happy about it.

Sounds like a fun time, the 4wheeler I want will be part of the DT money funds.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:56:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:05:16 AM EDT
[#48]
so how many inches of snow does Roanoke have by now?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:02:14 AM EDT
[#49]
2.45" here in Christiansburg
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:30:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Nothing here yet in Midlothian

VThokieshooter what part of Christiansburg are you in? My family is from there and some still live up there
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top