Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2006 5:08:53 AM EDT
If you live in NOVA check out Northern Virginia Gunworks,Inc.

I just had NVGW thread and install a phantom on my Bushmaster.  Very nice job, turn around time was very quick.  They also did some custom work on my OLY Glock AR.  Gunsmith Sandy Garrett,Jr and his son do good work.  Location: 7518-K  Fullerton Rd.,Springfield, VA 22153  (703)644-6504.  They do just about everything for pistols and rifles.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:49:36 AM EDT
[#1]
i used to work down on fullerton but i don't remember their shop.  when did they open?  and do they only do aftermarket work or are they also a full service gun store?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:33:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If you live in NOVA check out Northern Virginia Gunworks,Inc.

I just had NVGW thread and install a phantom on my Bushmaster.  Very nice job, turn around time was very quick.  They also did some custom work on my OLY Glock AR.  Gunsmith Sandy Garrett,Jr and his son do good work.  Location: 7518-K  Fullerton Rd.,Springfield, VA 22153  (703)644-6504.  They do just about everything for pistols and rifles.  

Robert and Sandy Garrett are great gunsmiths and where we send our customers needing work beyond what we can do.  There off of Fullerton a few doors down from Joe Ragans Coffee.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:39:23 AM EDT
[#3]
what was the cost of threading an AR barrel.  and was that handed over stipped or as a complete upper?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:05:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I gave him a Post Ban Bushmaster 16 inch complete upper.  Cost for tearing it down, threading, w/ my supplied FS w/ washer $90 and some change.  Many people will probably feel they can get a better deal somewhere else but I trust his work and will continue to go to his shop for future work.  The location and turn around time is excellent for me.  I dont like shipping off my weapons to get work done.  I highly recommend him and his son and they will not BS you....  They are professionals.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:25:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Did he have to remove the barrel from the upper or was he able to do it while attached??  Just wondering

John
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:06:38 PM EDT
[#6]
He removed it from the upper.  He explained the whole process and the way he does it.  He also explained how some gunsmiths dont take everything off the barrel and the results are not so good.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:51:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Sandy Garrett custon 1911...colt series 80 with a 6 inch compensated barrel...

I love this gun...I was lucky enough to get it through a storefront because the guy he did it for backed out...cant go wrong....
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:33:33 PM EDT
[#8]
This is great to here.  I've got a few 1911's that need work and I've been looking for a "recommended" 'smith.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:12:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Now ya got a gunsmith.  Go see Sandy or Robert.  Call before you go to see what their hours are.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:42:49 AM EDT
[#10]
tagged... just picked up a 1911 off the EE.. could use some trigger work.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:00:23 AM EDT
[#11]
what kind of work do they do? Looking to get some Novaks installed and maybe a trigger/hammer and polish job.

Someone mentioned one of the smiths that works out of Gilberts was good.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:07:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
what kind of work do they do? Looking to get some Novaks installed and maybe a trigger/hammer and polish job.

Tim Baucus is VERY good.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:54:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tim Baucus is VERY good.

Is that the guy who only works weekends?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:15:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I will never use NVGW again after a very negative experience back in 1997 ( posted details on rec.guns newgroup at the time) .  Maybe their work and customer service has improved since then but I doubt it.  

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:32:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tim Baucus is VERY good.

Tim Bacus built my new STI framed Limited gun.  This pistol has the VERY best trigger on any gun I've ever owned.  It'll shoot 1.5" groups at 50yds and still be reliable enough to run 100% at a 200 round USPSA match.  It has a Scheuman gain twist rifled AET barrel in .40

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:19:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tim Baucus is VERY good.

Tim Bacus built my new STI framed Limited gun.  This pistol has the VERY best trigger on any gun I've ever owned.  It'll shoot 1.5" groups at 50yds and still be reliable enough to run 100% at a 200 round USPSA match.  It has a Scheuman gain twist rifled AET barrel in .40

img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/newgunpics005.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/mepistol2BW.jpg

Nice Pistol!  

How do you get in touch with Tim?  Just go into the store?

What was the turn-around time on your pistol?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:08:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Nice Pistol!  

How do you get in touch with Tim?  Just go into the store?

What was the turn-around time on your pistol?  Thanks!

Just call the shop.  I bought this from it's original owner.  And it came with a 10mm barrel too.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:29:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tim Baucus is VERY good.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/newgunpics005.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/mepistol2BW.jpg

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:25:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Larry Wright is also working out of Gilberts.  He's done a bunch of work for me and I have been very happy with the quality.  He was able to fix NVGW malfunctioning trigger job.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:57:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

It has a Scheuman gain twist rifled AET barrel in .40

Well smart guy when you show me a better way to make 'Major' (which currently requires a .40 cal or larger making 165 power factor) please show me of a better performing cartridge than .40 caliber that performs better in USPSA competition AND that you can get more rounds than 21 in a 140mm mag please, PLEASE come talk to me.  I'm sure the ALL of the USPSA Grand Masters want to tap into that intelligence.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:28:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I will never use NVGW again after a very negative experience back in 1997 ( posted details on rec.guns newgroup at the time) .  Maybe their work and customer service has improved since then but I doubt it.  

Same here.  I had a bad experience with them back in '95.  They were very rude and unproffesional.  I told the owner that I would tell everyone I knew or met not to use them because of it.  I have kept my word.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:59:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Isn't Tim Baucus working at NRA, and used to smith out of WSI in Bellevue, WA?

If so he is a VERY good 1911 smith.

I once sold a Colt that he had installed a Brown grip safety on - very tight blend - a 1911 smith looked at it and said "That's Tim's work, isn't it?"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top