Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2006 2:56:34 PM EDT
I tell myslef I'll stop going to gun shows, but like a naive child I fall for it every time! So I wake up today and head off to the Nations Guns show, with images of deals dancing in my head. As usual, reality sets in after about 10-minutes in there.
>90% HK 91's for $3800.
>Boxes of FN SS195LF for $50/box.
>$900 Kalashnikovs.

But I guess today was grumpy old seller day. Apparently all the sellers over the age of 60 got together and decided that today, no firearms would be taken out of the cases. No less that three times, the crusty old seller stated that the firearm would not come out of the glass case! I had one particular conversation that went like this:

Me: Good afternoon, I was wondering if I could take a quick peek at the P7 you have in the case?

Seller: [sighs loudly]. ARE YOU FROM VA?

Me: Hmmmm yes.

Seller: Let me see your id.

Me: Hmmmm...ok....here's my license.

Seller: Takes ID turns around and starts yelling at some other buyer because he touched one of his rifles "without" permission.

Me: Could I now take a look at it?

Seller: "If you knew what that was, you would'nt need to have to look at it....its a new in box P7! and I'm not taking it out."

Me: Ok then. Then I look at the a-hole and tell him that really its a date coded 1982 PSP and its far from new in box and the $1200 he's asking is about $600 more than anyone should pay for it. Then I walk away.

So to say the least, it was full of the usual idiots selling used crap for more that its worth. There were of course exceptions, there were a few good deals to be had. These are usually the tables that are three-people deep. These are the sellers I like to talk to.  New Glocks for $469, Sig P229R's for $749 and AK's for $249.00.  Real nice guys as well. Too bad the crusty a-holes there riun it for them!

Well, to say the least, this may be the last time I go there; its just too stressful to deal with the jerks there.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:14:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought about driving up there from Williamsburg today, but now I'm glad I didn't. The Hampton show is in two weeks...I might be able to make it!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:18:05 PM EDT
[#2]
$250 ak? where?  I was disappointed as well, but I'll go back if you can tell me which table had $250 ak's  I saw lots for $350 or higher
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:26:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I too was largely disapointed, but it is the few deals that keep you going and looking around for like a needle in a haystack. I think the overwhelimg best selection is though the interet and a FFL at your favorite local gunstore or yourself if you have one.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:05:48 PM EDT
[#4]
That's odd.  I was there for about 4 hours today, looked at probably 15 or 20 guns and never got questioned about my state of residency or anything.  All the folks I dealt with seemed very pleasant, and I ended up buying a NIB Springfield SS Champion from the guys at Quantico Arms.  They seemed to be really good guys and gave me a great deal on the gun.  I'm up to 4 1911's now, which is pretty sad considering that in November of last year, I had none.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:57:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:03:36 PM EDT
[#6]
There were a few GRUMPY Vendors but as a hole they were all nice and some did have HUGE prices but others had some steals. I picked up a Glock 19 from JG w/ Black hawk carbon holster, belt , mag pouch and 3 mags for $425. Headed back sunday for some ammo and a few other odds and ends.  The local vendors were AWSOME as always, JG, Blueridge, Quantico Ect.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:10:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I was there...it wasnt too bad...what shocked me was that all the .45 got bought up very quickly...

i was gonna buy a case or two and it was pretty much all gone...

I dont generally buy from vendors...but generally they have been very polite...
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:12:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
There were a few GRUMPY Vendors but as a hole they were all nice and some did have HUGE prices but others had some steals. I picked up a Glock 19 from JG w/ Black hawk carbon holster, belt , mag pouch and 3 mags for $425. Headed back sunday for some ammo and a few other odds and ends.  The local vendors were AWSOME as always, JG, Blueridge, Quantico Ect.  

Was that from the dealer near the front, on your left as you come in, under the yellow banner? That was a great deal.

QA also has fantastic prices on Pelican cases!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:48:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Yup thats him. He's from Leesburg and a RRA dealer. Awsome guy. A PLEASURE TO DO BUSINESS WITH.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:19:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I have found personally that the georgia arms folks are very polite and have quality stuff and I have dealt with them on several occasions. I know this is no secret here but I just wanted to add that.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:04:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I was there...it wasnt too bad...what shocked me was that all the .45 got bought up very quickly...

i was gonna buy a case or two and it was pretty much all gone...

I dont generally buy from vendors...but generally they have been very polite...

I was gonna go for some 45 today, I was told by some arfkommers its all gone so I think I'm gonna pass.  I'm really short on cash, but Georgia Arms 45 is such a good price if i DONT buy it I'll lose money buying it somewhere else.....

Think they'll bring more today?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:20:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Yup thats him. He's from Leesburg and a RRA dealer. Awsome guy. A PLEASURE TO DO BUSINESS WITH.

Heh you may of been the guy behind me :)

Joe is an awesome guy, I bought a RRA lower from him
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:07:34 AM EDT
[#13]
I must be the only guy in the world who's never had a good experience with QA. They're not rude or anything but I get the feeling they're not particularly interested in talking to people who aren't "Operators."
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:25:01 AM EDT
[#14]
"I must be the only guy in the world who's never had a good experience with QA. They're not rude or anything but I get the feeling they're not particularly interested in talking to people who aren't "Operators."

Hmm thats odd b\c they are always willing to talk and help out. Now you have to remember at the show its busy and thay are doind alot. Drop by there store the one by Potomac Mills they love to shoot the S%$^ with you.  QA great guys and a great shop.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:47:26 AM EDT
[#15]
i swear i walked every inch of that place but i must have missed qa and blue ridge and some of the other locals.  then again it may have had something to do with the fact that i had worked that night and had been up since 6pm friday. i ended up getting a ruger mkiii4 out the door for 260.  i guess it wasn't the best deal but it was good enough.  but in all it seemed about the exact same as the show i went to back in november or december--can't remember which month it was.  personally i liked the showplace show in richmond but mainly because the prices were a bit better.  and i should apologize to "m4 fun" if he is on here.  i pulled out in front of him when i was leaving and swung real wide out the parking space and made him slow his big green wrangler down a bunch.  sorry friend but i was wicked tired and real sore.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:20:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:45:25 AM EDT
[#17]
I need to start making a list.  I went there with a specific list of items.  I got side tracked and only got two things on my list.  At least I didn't get hooked for a bunch of stuff that wasn't on my list....

4npower, I wish I knew you were going back Sunday, I would have sent you with my list as you wouldn't need blinders for my list.......
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:05:38 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I have found personally that the georgia arms folks are very polite and have quality stuff and I have dealt with them on several occasions. I know this is no secret here but I just wanted to add that.

+1 Bought some cleaning gear from them...came back around later and bought soem .223!

Great guys!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:43:46 AM EDT
[#19]
+1 I picked up 1,500 rounds of 45 from them and will be buying from them here on out.  Took about 300 rounds of it to the range today and I was quite pleased.  Extremely nice people.

I'll continue to go to the shows but mainly just to pick up ammo.

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 Bought some cleaning gear from them...came back around later and bought soem .223!

Great guys!

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:23:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Hi All:

A couple notes:

#1.  Now that we have seven locations across the US (San Diego, Seattle, Texas, Kansas, Tennessee and Virginia), we're going to start doing gun shows across the US.  Over the past few months, I have personally attended gun shows across the US to recon them.   Compared to most states, Virginia has far more competion and lower prices at gun shows.  Is it like the "good ole days?  Nope, but the shows in most other states suck far worse.  

#2.  4nPower is correct.  When we're overwhelmed at a show (like at Chantilly), we just don't have the time to visit with people.  The place to hang out and have discussions is the shop.  As for myself, whenever I have a spare moment these days, I'm either doing final planning for our SHOT show display, talking to a new vendor, plotting the destruction of a competitor or planning a new store.  

#3.  We have alot of new, exciting stuff we're working on....You all haven't seen anything yet.

Dave Hensley

Your guys have always been outstanding to me, even when busy.

The only knock I have against you guys is the lack of left handed holsters, but I've come to expect that from the right handed elites.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:57:03 PM EDT
[#21]
i know this is a little late to do you any good, but I got 500 rounds from GA arms yesterday...really only 45 to be had...and they told me they were out of canned heat and had been out for a while...if you found more today I would be disappointed...

I already have burned through half of what I bought yesterday....I need another show so I can get 1000 rounds of 45 canned heat...
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:10:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought a nice used Glock 17 for a decent price from a very nice dealer over by the snack area.  He was more than happy to let me field strip it first.

Saw some OD Glocks at good prices and there was a "package" deal of a new G19 with holster, belt and mag pouches for $425 at one dealer.  

Of course I also saw some used Glocks at retail price for new ones and outlandish prices on AKs/ARs/FALs.

What is with the outfits?  Do some people spend weeks thinking up crazy stuff to wear?  

G
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:29:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:37:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I'm the person who convinced ArmaLite to make the Left Handed AR-50!

Me and my AR-50L thank you for that.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:56:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
No Way!  I'm left-handed, and I've made it clear to my managers that I NEVER want to be out of LH items....ESPECIALLY holsters!

I'm the person who convinced ArmaLite to make the Left Handed AR-50!

I'm also the person who convinced Specter Gear to make ALL their slings Ambidextrous.

and, I designed the AMBIDEXTROUS M9 holster which is now part of the FSBE kit!

For left-handers, POWER TOOLS (like circular and skill saws) are our TRUE enemy!

Dave Hensley

Quoted:
The only knock I have against you guys is the lack of left handed holsters, but I've come to expect that from the right handed elites.

To be quite honest, I was looking at what seemed to be a new holster. At least, one I've never seen before.  I'm not sure they make a LH version yet, as I haven't found one on the interweb.

Don't yell at Walter, IIR the name correctly, he's been a great help to me.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:48:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:52:13 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
"I must be the only guy in the world who's never had a good experience with QA. They're not rude or anything but I get the feeling they're not particularly interested in talking to people who aren't "Operators."

Hmm thats odd b\c they are always willing to talk and help out. Now you have to remember at the show its busy and thay are doind alot. Drop by there store the one by Potomac Mills they love to shoot the S%$^ with you.  QA great guys and a great shop.

Yes, but their online ordering service SUCKS. I emailed them twice about order status-no response-I called them 3 times (long distance no 1-800 #)and was told "oops, sorry we will fix it" results: 2 months later I get an incomplete order and no explaniation. No more business with them. They talk a good talk, but don't back up their words. Hopefully this doesn't happen often, but it's the last time for me.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Who keeps leaving the drawbridge down.  How are these MD'ers keep getting in here?

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:42:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:51:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

#1.  Anyone who has been in our shop will tell you that we actually STOCK FAR MORE than most of the other people out there.  If you don't believe me, ask for a tour of our warehouse.

Can I get a tour..  don't mind the baggy pants and trenchcoat with large pocket .....      
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:15:04 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Sure, we'll just weigh you before and after the tour....

Quoted:

Quoted:

#1.  Anyone who has been in our shop will tell you that we actually STOCK FAR MORE than most of the other people out there.  If you don't believe me, ask for a tour of our warehouse.

Can I get a tour..  don't mind the baggy pants and trenchcoat with large pocket .....      

I'm reminded of an old nascar trick from the 60s.  They would fill the door skins with bolts and rocks and other crap to meet weight requirements at the pole... and then kick the door open mid race and let all the crap fly out thus being lighter than the competition.  

Dont ask why thats important....
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:43:26 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
+1 I picked up 1,500 rounds of 45 from them and will be buying from them here on out.  Took about 300 rounds of it to the range today and I was quite pleased.  Extremely nice people.

I'll continue to go to the shows but mainly just to pick up ammo.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great guys!

+1 for G/A... Being new to the legion of those affected w/ BRD, I bought a 500 round can of .223 for 90 bucks - best price Ive seen all year.

My only disappointment was not being able to find the FN ES 5-7 for my dad. I saw lots of Sig Mosquitos though, mostly above what the Sigarms website MSRP states.

I'll keep going though, if only to buy more ammo from G/A.h.gif
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:15:00 AM EDT
[#34]
i saw a slew of walther p22 out there but not a lot of .22lr conversions.  there were the normal glut of glocks and sigs and surplus mosins, mausers, enfields.  i think i only saw a handful of cz and imi products.  i was surprised by the number of tables with hi-point pistols on them.  this is just not the area where i would expect people to buy such crap.  there were a bunch of rugers but mainly just the p345 or mkiii which was disappointing.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:57:55 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I wouldn't say it sucks, I would say that it takes care of 90% of the people VERY well and the remaining 10%.  Well, it sucks to be them...BUT, I've identified that and we're fixing it!  A couple notes:

#2.  We WILL tie our website into our Point Of Sale Database before summer...That will set appropriate expectations and indicate what is in stock and not in stock while ordering.

#3.  I have some of the best, most customer-service oriented and hard-working people you can find...But because of our rapid growth, they have been overworked for some time.  We have now hired a wave of VERY competent people and are getting them trained.
#4.  I have reviewed the procedures (and lack thereof) in the shipping department and are making a lot of changes, all of which are to increase customer service.  I won't go into excruciating detail, but suffice it to say that we're spending a lot of $$$ to increase customer service, not profit.

BTW, we have an 800 number, I just don't recall what it is and always forget to look and put it on our website.  I'll put that on my list of things to do!

Dave Hensley

I am glad that you are aware of the need for making improvements. Sounds like you really want to listen to the customer. My experience might have been only 10% of the whole, (quite a large percentage in my oponion) but it's 100% to me! I was really frustrated making all of those calls with no positive results. My order was not even correct when received (but not charged for the shortfall or informed why). My order consisted of little "piddly" things and not really important in the long run. My point is the process needs to be looked at and you say you are actively engaged.
I talk with you guys at the gun shows and appreciate your support for AR15.com. I know you can not bring your entire inventory. Each discussion we had recommended ordering from the web site.  You can see my disappointment. I am a customer, items not available at gun shows nor on the web site with out a lot of grief in getting them.
Thanks for your response. Sorry I do not intend to "bash" you or QA in this forum. Not sure yet about doing future business w/ QA. Sort of on the fence after your candid response.
Sorry for the rant. Standing down now. No more red face smilies, but moved to yellow.

Quoted:
Yes, but their online ordering service SUCKS. I emailed them twice about order status-no response-I called them 3 times (long distance no 1-800 #)and was told "oops, sorry we will fix it" results: 2 months later I get an incomplete order and no explaniation. No more business with them. They talk a good talk, but don't back up their words. Hopefully this doesn't happen often, but it's the last time for me.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:02:34 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Who keeps leaving the drawbridge down.  How are these MD'ers keep getting in here?

Hey, you should go to a Maryland gun show. On second thought don't bother you will be wasting your time. MD shows have gone down hill greatly in the past few years. Too many restrictions that  vendors don't want to bother with and ever increasing table rental prices. Can not even get a magazing of greater than 20 rounds within MD, but I can go out of state and bring one back legally. Go figure.
Leave that bridge open, we will help support VA.

Edited to add: We are all supportive of AR15.com and our sport in general. We need to stick together and keep the gun grabbers at bay. United is a better chance than divided. I know you did not intend it to read in a negative manner. Just thought I'd mention it.
I have bought more "stuff" at VA gun shows in the past two years than I have in MD in the past 10 years.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:05:48 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

The bridge near my house charges $3 for MD'ers to cross. I'm trying to get them to raise it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:14:31 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The bridge near my house charges $3 for MD'ers to cross. I'm trying to get them to raise it.

Heck, we pay for only going south-VA (money grabbers-LOL). It's free to come back. See how desperate MD is? Now you pose a challenge. If you are near Dahlgreen (spelling?) how's about meeting up at the VA welcome center and car pool to the next Richmond show? We can discuss issues and do that bonding thing between MD and VA ARF.comers.
As far as making a draw bridge, bring your chain saw and make one. We'll come by boat.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:13:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Damn straight.   The NICE bridge ought to be $100 to get into Virginia!   Maybe that would keep some of the SMIBs out of Wawa buying cigs.  A man can't even get a sammich at lunch for their "i'll take 4 cartons of USA menthols" crap.  

Couldn't pass that one up.  A little NSWCDD humor  

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:23:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Hey LOUBIE

I did not think you were bashing us.  I get REALLY upset when we drop the ball on a customer -- whether it is an entire BN or a single mail order.  I appreciate the feedback and attempt to take corrective steps.

Thanks,
I was hoping that was the way it was taken. We will talk again at the next show (or who ever is "on duty" there.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:58:33 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Damn straight.   The NICE bridge ought to be $100 to get into Virginia!   Maybe that would keep some of the SMIBs out of Wawa buying cigs.  A man can't even get a sammich at lunch for their "i'll take 4 cartons of USA menthols" crap.  

Couldn't pass that one up.  A little NSWCDD humor  
Well, my friend, I don't smoke and I damn well sure I (and my friends) will come to the VA shows regardless! Can some of you 'al come up here and give these politicians a kick in the arse???
LOL

Edited to add: you work for NAVSEA? (NSWCDD). Well, my friend, not only do you have Marylanders invading VA you have NAVAIR pukes as well. Insult to injury?? Ha Ha.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:15:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:37:49 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

A man of few words.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:13:01 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Joe (JG) is a GREAT guy to deal with! I've been doing business with him for 11 years and always been treated fair & honest. I grabbed one of his Glock 19 deals as well.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:38:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Like LOUBIE, I also had a really tough time getting an online order with Quantico Arms a year or two ago. Tried to get it resolved through several emails, but it never got fixed. I brought it to the attention on this board and was promised action by QA, but the ball was dropped again and the thread was locked at the request of QA for being "off topic. "

Lots of members are still claiming QA is a great business in person though, so I may give their brick-and-mortar location a try when I eventually forget about the bad experience. No way I'm going to order from them online, however.

As for the gun show reviews, I'm glad you guys keep posting them... they are valuable for the folks that have to drive a long distance to make them! Keep it up!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:10:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Did anybody pick-up some of the "Okay Industries" NIB AR (M16) 30rnd magazines that a couple guys had for $10 each!?!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:39:00 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Did anybody pick-up some of the "Okay Industries" NIB AR (M16) 30rnd magazines that a couple guys had for $10 each!?!

WHAT WHAT??? I saw lots of $15 used mags, but I wuld have bought every okay ind mag I coulda found at that price, clearly I did not search carefully enough
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top