Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/2/2006 1:23:54 PM EDT
I was wondering if anyone had any experience shipping ammo in VA. Heres the issue I'm having:
I sold some ammo in the EE, received payment, and I took the ammo to local UPS store to have it shipped out. I was told that they were not licensed to ship out hazardous materials, and the owner of the store called the main UPS terminal, and supposedly spoke with a manager who said it would be fine to ship it from there. I went to the main UPS terminal (theres only 1 around here, so they could not have talked to someone else), only to be told by two supervisor's and the head manager at the main terminal that according to "the law" only someone who has taken "hours and hours" of classes can ship ammo in Virginia. The guy then went on to tell me that they just went after some guy for shipping a battery through them, and he got $500,000 worth of fines.

I was under the impression that anyone could ship ammo via UPS ground as long as it was marked ORM-D. Is this not the case?Does anyone have any experience with this? Any info would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:43:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:58:33 PM EDT
Local UPS "Stores" will not accept ammunition however the customer service centers at terminals will.

Small Arms Ammunition can be shipped UPS Ground, must be labeled ORM-D Small Arms Ammunition.

A single box of ammo must not be more then 20 pounds and the box itself must has a 200 pound burst rating.

I ship ammo out of the Richmond Terminal all the time, receive ammo shipped via UPS weekly, and have never had a problem.

Now, primers, that's a different story.

Steve
Hallmark Small Arms
804-986-7409
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:10:59 PM EDT
Sounds like you went to the Keysville hub. They have a real moron working there that doesn't know UPS shipping policies or ATF regs. He swore up and down that I needed a FFL to ship ammo or guns.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:22:28 PM EDT
Thanks for everyones responses.

I tried to ship from the Charlottesville main terminal. Its 800 rounds 7.62x25 surplus stuff in little boxes, probably weighs more then 20 lbs though.

Can I ship this USPS?

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:23:40 PM EDT
USPS = NO.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:34:15 PM EDT
Fedex? Any advise, or am I SOL here?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:46:14 PM EDT
FedEx ground = Yes
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:25:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By anr6t:
Thanks for everyones responses.

I tried to ship from the Charlottesville main terminal. Its 800 rounds 7.62x25 surplus stuff in little boxes, probably weighs more then 20 lbs though.

Can I ship this USPS?

What about splitting it into multiple smaller packages, less than 20lb each?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:07:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/2/2006 6:08:27 PM EDT by mo4040]
Ammo is not hazmat....

Ship it and mark the box ORM-D.

The easiest way to ship via UPS is go to UPS.com and sign up to do the internet shipping. You do everything on-line, print out a prepaid shipping label, box-up the items, then drop off the pre-paid package at the terminal (or give it to any UPS driver) and be done with it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:11:38 AM EDT
fedex= no. i just shipped some ammo and i knew i couldn't use usps. so i called fedex and they said dealer to dealer only. so i called ups and they said that the entire package couldn't be more than 60lbs--or maybe 50. sorry i can't remember. but all you ahve to do is draw a rectangle and write ORM-D inside it and the write "small arms cartridges" on it. and you can take it to any ups store or facility. but i am not sure about the ups store in staples etc.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:28:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/3/2006 4:26:20 AM EDT by Hallmark_Ent]

Originally Posted By aaronrb204:
fedex= no. i just shipped some ammo and i knew i couldn't use usps. so i called fedex and they said dealer to dealer only. so i called ups and they said that the entire package couldn't be more than 60lbs--or maybe 50. sorry i can't remember. but all you ahve to do is draw a rectangle and write ORM-D inside it and the write "small arms cartridges" on it. and you can take it to any ups store or facility. but i am not sure about the ups store in staples etc.

FedEx ground will ship ammo, I've used them before also. These are the Green/Blue FedEx guys, not the FedEx next day people.

The ORM-D letters are supposed to be 1" tall according to regulations, somewhere I have a bitmap file of the label I use. I just print it out and tape it on the box with clear packing tape.

Weight restrictions for a single package are 66 pounds, box must have a 275 bursting rating, 44 edge crush. In my previous post I was going by memory, which is a bad thing at my age, I looked at the last cases of 5.56 I got from my distributor and saw it was 48 pounds so I thought I should look up the regulations. Plus I just shipped a few cases of 45-70 to a guy in Az and it weighed 54 pounds, WTF was thinking about with 20 pounds...I'm sure there is a regulation somewhere that has to do with 20 pounds, it's just not with UPS and ammo.

Hope this sets the record straight.

Steve
Hallmark Small Arms
804-986-7409
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:58:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/3/2006 5:59:03 AM EDT by anr6t]

Originally Posted By Hallmark_Ent:

FedEx ground will ship ammo, I've used them before also. These are the Green/Blue FedEx guys, not the FedEx next day people.

The ORM-D letters are supposed to be 1" tall according to regulations, somewhere I have a bitmap file of the label I use. I just print it out and tape it on the box with clear packing tape.

Weight restrictions for a single package are 66 pounds, box must have a 275 bursting rating, 44 edge crush. In my previous post I was going by memory, which is a bad thing at my age, I looked at the last cases of 5.56 I got from my distributor and saw it was 48 pounds so I thought I should look up the regulations. Plus I just shipped a few cases of 45-70 to a guy in Az and it weighed 54 pounds, WTF was thinking about with 20 pounds...I'm sure there is a regulation somewhere that has to do with 20 pounds, it's just not with UPS and ammo.

Hope this sets the record straight.

Steve
Hallmark Small Arms
804-986-7409

I just called FedEx's national line and got a similar response to the one from UPS. They said they will accept ammunition from anyone, but unless I have been specially trained to package it would be illegal for me to ship it, and could result in a $25,000 fine, and the FAA (I think thats what they said) had 13 months to prosecute. Probably wouldn't matter in the long run, but certainly not worth it for $55 worth of ammo after shipping...oh well, local sales it is. Thanks to everyone who contributed suggestions.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:10:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/3/2006 6:44:25 AM EDT by Hallmark_Ent]
It's the DOT not FAA, the DOT requires the training, and you can get a training "CD" from the DOT.

You have taken the training haven't you?

If anyone needs to ship ammunition I'll be glad to do it for a small but reasonable fee . After all, it's heavy and I have a bad back, gas is 2.51 a gallon for my SUV, my kid needs a new pair of shoes..etc..etc...

Steve.
Top Top