Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2006 5:46:35 PM EDT
I have heard from the guys at Blueridge Arsenal that there is a really good gunsmith at Loudoun Guns in Leesburg that can do some work on my 3 1911s (two SAs and a Kimber). Anybody used these guys? I need to get ambi safeties put on all 3, and Beavertail grip safeties on both the SAs.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:27:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2006 6:28:05 AM EDT by JUSTACOP]
I have talked to their gunsmith before about some 1911 smith work and he seems to know the basics. Personally I would look for someone a little more reputable. I mean as a whole that place is a price gouger. They have basic knowledge of things but it does not take much to know more than they do about most things. That being said, I guess you could have him do one gun then see how it goes. I don't think they are set up to refinish the frame if I recall. That could have changed though.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:34:03 PM EDT
Locally, check with Tim at Gilbert's in Springfield. I've not dealt with him, but everybody I talk to says he is the best locally for 1911 work. I've also had Dan Rivenbark do some work for me. Dan is a good guy and does nice work, although he is in Stafford.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:32:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2006 6:41:23 PM EDT by Hydguy]

Originally Posted By JUSTACOP:
I have talked to their gunsmith before about some 1911 smith work and he seems to know the basics. Personally I would look for someone a little more reputable. I mean as a whole that place is a price gouger. They have basic knowledge of things but it does not take much to know more than they do about most things. That being said, I guess you could have him do one gun then see how it goes. I don't think they are set up to refinish the frame if I recall. That could have changed though.

Are you talking ablut the guys at Blue Ridge or Loudoun?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:01:05 PM EDT
Well, the post was about Loudoun Guns and thats what I am referring to. Virginia Arms is a great shop, nothing ever bad to say about them. Blue Ridge is more of a uniform shop and range these days than a gun store. The Loudoun gun guys are nice enough, I just find their prices too high.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:47:26 AM EDT

The Loudoun gun guys are nice enough, I just find their prices too high.

+1 on that.

Nice enough, but, as I found in my pre-Virginia Arms days, way too impressed with themselves and
their services.

They wanted $50 when I asked about doing transfers, then got all pissy when they found out that I
was going to be ordering an RRA lower from Legal Transfers. "Well, I don't know if I want to do that...
We sell Eagle lowers here, and they're just as good....."

I walked out and from then on, drove the extra couple of miles down to see Bernie & crew.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:50:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tanker06:

The Loudoun gun guys are nice enough, I just find their prices too high.

+1 on that.

Nice enough, but, as I found in my pre-Virginia Arms days, way too impressed with themselves and
their services.

They wanted $50 when I asked about doing transfers, then got all pissy when they found out that I
was going to be ordering an RRA lower from Legal Transfers. "Well, I don't know if I want to do that...
We sell Eagle lowers here, and they're just as good....."

I walked out and from then on, drove the extra couple of miles down to see Bernie & crew.

I'm not sure who it was I spoke with at Virginia Arms in Manassas, but from our conversation, it didn't sound like they had an on-staff 'smith, so I guess I'm looking at a drive or two to Gilberts. Thanks all!
Top Top