Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2006 7:32:44 PM EDT
After a month of hemming and hawing, our local administration has finally agreed to let us (mostly me) teach the Eddie Eagle program in our local elementary schools.  We're going to start off with the 3rd graders this year then do the 1st graders and 3rd graders starting in the fall (there's two blocks, K-1 and 2-3).  I got the ball rolling after working several accidental shootings (one 9mm and two BB gun) involving kids less than 10 years old, and discovering that the gun safety content in the DARE program was minimal, which is to say almost nonexistant.

It's been an uphill battle, but I'm excited.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:21:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Good job keep up the good work!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:52:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Great!

Where is this at, BTW?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:27:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:36:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:50:48 AM EDT
[#5]
that's great!  My guess is that you aren't in NOVA, my wife had no luck with Fairfax County.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:01:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Thankfully no, not in NoVA.  Even still, you have no idea how much "gasp, it's a NRA program!! " I heard.  My final presentation was something like, "Look, it's proven, it's effective, kids love it, and I can reach every third grader in the city for less than $200 total starting now."  That must have clinched it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:05:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:57:31 PM EDT
[#8]
This is great!  Depending on how things go, you may look into publicizing this somehow.  I think a positive message about this program and what it actually teaches (versus what the ignorant and closed-minded think it teaches) would be good.  You could even put the school district in a positive light by showing how they are actively committed to child safety rather than sticking their head in the sand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top