Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2006 4:26:07 PM EDT
According to the washington post friday edition in the metro in brief section,  the city of Alexandria finalizes contracts to buy 2 waterfront properties at 0 Prince stree that are being used as a gun shop and cruise ship operaton.....

Farewell to Potomac arms
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:44:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Unfortunately it was just a matter of time....  I hate to see another gun shop close.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:02:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn, another one bites the dust.
To be honest, I'm surprised they held on to it as long as they did, that property's worth a MINT.
Just means more business for Bernie  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:01:17 PM EDT
[#3]
John Richards died suddenly about a year or two ago - he was about 80 years old. Not sure if the sale was in the works before but his son Steve had told me he was no longer restocking new guns as the city was trying to buy the land.  I think the city got those properties pretty cheap considering they were on the waterfront.  I suspect the Richards brothers are ready to close shop and retire on the proceeds.

Potomac Arms had been operating since 1958 - a lot of cool old guns floated in form old timers and would end up in the used gun case.  When I lived in Alexandria I used to drop by at least every other week.  Alexandria is down to one small gun shop now - at one point in early 1990s it had Old Town Armory, Potomac Arms and Berretta Gallery.  

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:47:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
John Richards died suddenly about a year or two ago - he was about 80 years old. Not sure if the sale was in the works before but his son Steve had told me he was no longer restocking new guns as the city was trying to buy the land.  I think the city got those properties pretty cheap considering they were on the waterfront.  I suspect the Richards brothers are ready to close shop and retire on the proceeds.

Potomac Arms had been operating since 1958 - a lot of cool old guns floated in form old timers and would end up in the used gun case.  When I lived in Alexandria I used to drop by at least every other week. Alexandria is down to one small gun shop now - at one point in early 1990s it had Old Town Armory, Potomac Arms and Berretta Gallery.  

Which one and where is it? I thought the Old Town Armory closed years  ago.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:56:18 PM EDT
[#5]
The Trophy Room...
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:22:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Wonder what’s going to happen to the various cannon, rocket launcher and (IIRC) torpedo at the entrance?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:32:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I may be able to find out whats what and whats going where my daughter dates johns grand son.
i always hate to see this kind of thing happen. wish my future son inlaw was takeing over but he is not.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:48:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I am going by there in a little bit to see what is left, if anything.  I wouldn't be surprised if they are already closed, from what I heard weeks ago the inventory was almost cleared out.

Shooter
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:40:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Wonder what’s going to happen to the various cannon, rocket launcher and (IIRC) torpedo at the entrance?

Group Buy?  
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:44:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I went by there this afternoon, and it was BARE.
Only had a couple daozen guns, so I ask " Are you moving?"
reply: "Nope, we're just not stocking any new guns."
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:24:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I think the city got those properties pretty cheap considering they were on the waterfront.

Huh?  What did they pay?  

G
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:08:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think the city got those properties pretty cheap considering they were on the waterfront.

Huh?  What did they pay?  

G

Rumor has it: $2.6 million
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:27:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh?  What did they pay?  

G

Well on the face of it that does sound cheap.  But then you got to factor in the cost of hiring liberal witch doctors to cleanse the aura of the place from all of those evil guns..
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:56:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Not sympathetic for those guys at all. I was down there two weeks ago, and they insisted they were NOT going out of business, and they would be happy to accept items i wished to sell on consignment. Stated the reason stock was low was they were converting to a "special order only" type of business, so no new guns on display. Not really appreciative of being lied to, and very happy I didn't leave anything there for consignment sale.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:42:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Wonder if they are going to have a sale.... I might need to go pick up some 20 round mags.....
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:58:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Their used prices on 30rd mags. ($19.95) was the same as Gilbert's wanted for new 20 rd. mags.  They were extremely low on stock 2 weeks ago, I doubt seriously they have much at all at this point in time.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:06:15 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh?  What did they pay?  

G

Well on the face of it that does sound cheap.  But then you got to factor in the cost of hiring liberal witch doctors to cleanse the aura of the place from all of those evil guns..

heh, thats a good one.  I'm guessing the ghosts of the billions of children they endangered selling {gasp} guns will haunt that place forever.

Hope they wouldn't stand there and lie to you  Maybe they have plans to deal out of their homes?  Specialize in direct ordering?  Do some consignment sales?

Never been there, but I'm sorry to see any gun shop go belly up.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:15:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Not sympathetic for those guys at all. I was down there two weeks ago, and they insisted they were NOT going out of business, and they would be happy to accept items i wished to sell on consignment. Stated the reason stock was low was they were converting to a "special order only" type of business, so no new guns on display. Not really appreciative of being lied to, and very happy I didn't leave anything there for consignment sale.

That is what Steve told me...from what I read in the article the city is leasing the land back to Potomac Arms until the development gets under way so they may be open as a surplus/consignment shop for months/years....
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:11:30 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

they sold all them things off a few years ago. and they ended up selling the torpedo to some local guy. they said they wanted to sell it to the torpedo factory up the street (where the torpedo was actually made) but those idiots wanted them to GIVE it to them...

maybe they'll open somewhere else nearby. but it sure was nice to have them in old town. kinda like a stick in the eye to the local libtards. any of you ever talk to the old man? he loved pissing off the local pols!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:30:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I was just in there tonight....

Here is what I was told:

The purchase hasn't been voted on by the board yet.  That isn't for a couple more weeks (minimum).  Then, it will be several more months before they close.  THEN POtomac Arms will lease it back for a year.

Here is what I observed:
About 12-18 long guns.  A few dozen used handguns including some refurbed/used glocks at decent prices.  A WIlson AR-15 for $1200....and very little else.

My conclusion:
If it was my shop and it was worth 2.6million (the building really is a POS) I would take my money out of that cash cow and never look back.  They can not be making enough to cover payroll given the absolute tragic lack of firearms.

Shooter
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:26:16 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I went by there this afternoon, and it was BARE.
Only had a couple daozen guns, so I ask " Are you moving?"
reply: "Nope, we're just not stocking any new guns."

They told me the same thing when I went in there a few weeks ago.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:36:45 AM EDT
[#22]
they've been negotiating with the city for years. the allocation for the buy-out just happened in the last week or so.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:27:21 AM EDT
[#23]
What about Full Metal Jacket?  I have dealt with Mark for years and he's always had fair prices and would even trade for "neat" stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top