Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2006 7:50:11 PM EDT
There is a few good things listed for this years session. I didnt see but two things that are bad and by the looks of them they arnt too bad. I would be interested in going in and seeing a session of the legislature. It sais that the committie of militia, police, and public safety meets on friday, anyone know if this is an open meeting?

Finally a few questions that I have seen on here a lot will be ironed out in law, hopefully. 1 Restrant ban 2 Explicitly explain to VCU that they cant ban guns 3 Prevent people from getting fired or evicted for storing firearms locked in their vehicle. 4 Removing the retreat requirement from self defence (no one can run from a bullet so it is pointless to have it in there.)
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:14:48 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
2 Explicitly explain to VCU that they cant ban guns

Wait, wait, wait.  Are they going on the basis that they can't because they are a public institute?  In which case... if the VCDL wins... would that mean that Virginia Tech would have to abide by the same thing?  Please tell me that's true.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:59:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Well no matter what you hear they are suppose to abide by it now but this new bill will spell it out for them. The exact wording can be seen on the VCDL website under legislative tracking.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:06:47 AM EDT
[#3]
that's what i thought!  But the policies specifically say that even a CCW holder is not allowed to carry on campus.  I'm trying to figure out how to discuss this with the University President or whomever I need to talk to.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:50:17 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
2 Explicitly explain to VCU that they cant ban guns

Wait, wait, wait.  Are they going on the basis that they can't because they are a public institute?  In which case... if the VCDL wins... would that mean that Virginia Tech would have to abide by the same thing?  Please tell me that's true.

If that bill passes, it should apply to any educational institution (presumably public or private colleges and universities with students over 21).
For those of us who are non-students,it would simply clear up the VCU issue. We can already carry almost everywhere else on public facilities. This bill would have the most impact on students and faculty.

Side note: That's a nice roster of pro-gun bills on the VCDL leg tracking tool!
If nothing else, this year will be fun trying to flood Kaine's desk with pro-gun bills. Hopefully he'll adopt the Mark Warner strategy and just quietly give us what we want.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:17:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I didnt discuss a damn thing with him. He cant regulate that.

If you do discuss it with him do it with a Writ Mandamus that states "you must give any person allowed under virginia state law to carry while a student." That should clear it up for them.

In the mean time I am getting real tired of hearing the professors complaining about how the legislature could make carry there legal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top