Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2006 3:38:55 PM EDT
I am planning a backing trip down there in a few months, was wondering if anyone knew the area.
My experience in the National Forests has pretty much been the same in all states..I take my truck up a jeep trail for a while, pull off the trail, strap on a ruck, and head out for a few days rarely seeing anyone. I havent been to WV, but since its NF land, I dont imagine I will have an issue possessing a handgun.

Is this area populated?
If I am hiking for a few days are there going to be tons of people around, or will it be pretty solitary?
I am looking for deep forest, no people, just rocks, trees, and air.
Anyone think I will have any issues wearing a belt holster and openly carrying?
From what I can find out, the state law allows it, but we all know the law doesnt mean rangers wont hassle you if they arent used to people exercising their 2nd amendment rights.

Advice?
Suggestions?

I am just looking for a quiet region to hike maybe 5-10 miles a day...pack light, and live off what I can find for a few days.

Thanks with what ever you can share.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:09:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I have been going to the area since the 1960's

I know the smokehole area has ample trails that could get you out of the common camp grounds so that would be no problem, let me think about this and ask a buddy from the area since it has been a while since I hiked the hole.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:18:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I live here. Senneca is 30 min from here. Check out the otter creek area the fernow experemintal forest, there are some great wet and dry caves toward the spruce knob area. Good luck in your hunt for a spot, im or em me if i can be of assistance. db
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:36:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I live here. Senneca is 30 min from here. Check out the otter creek area the fernow experemintal forest, there are some great wet and dry caves toward the spruce knob area. Good luck in your hunt for a spot, im or em me if i can be of assistance. db

Glad to see someone local on the board, not my home area but a few of us lived for summertime in those hills.

I was up in the area in December and could not find any carbide for lanterns anywhere, used to be common as flies.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:00:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Where were ya? Hope it was a good trip. Seems that timber is king and coal is out. Come to think of it I have not seen carbide for a while. Let me know if you need it and Ill find you some. I grew up in WV left in the early 80's for CO. and returned to raise my family. Not a bad trade, the toxic city for a good life in the country. Hunt from the house, simple rifle range in the back yard, and some pretty good neighbors. You might not live here anymore, but once a hillbilly, always a hillbilly. I live here for fall. Had my 9 year old son out with me on Cheat mountain for the first 3 days of deer season. Covered a lot of high country.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:54:39 PM EDT
[#5]
There is a visitors center and gift shop at Seneca, they may have some maps or be able to help you find a good place to get lost for a while.  If they can't the USFS has an office in Elkins about 1/2 hour west on Rt.33 .  As for the open carry, you shouldn;t have a problem.  I know the LE Officer for that section of the forest and he doesn't get flusterd about it.  Just make sure it's open and not concealed, he probably wouldn't like that.  Tucker Co, where Furnow and Otter Creek is, is 2/3 Nat'l Forest.  There are plenty of places there to pack as well.  I know you won't have time to see it all but Dolley Sods is spectacular if you have time.  I live in Tucker County, about an hour from Seneca Rocks.  If you're interested, IM me and I'll give you my phone number.  I can give you directions to a few places.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:38:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Where were ya? Hope it was a good trip. Seems that timber is king and coal is out. Come to think of it I have not seen carbide for a while. Let me know if you need it and Ill find you some. I grew up in WV left in the early 80's for CO. and returned to raise my family. Not a bad trade, the toxic city for a good life in the country. Hunt from the house, simple rifle range in the back yard, and some pretty good neighbors. You might not live here anymore, but once a hillbilly, always a hillbilly. I live here for fall. Had my 9 year old son out with me on Cheat mountain for the first 3 days of deer season. Covered a lot of high country.

Yes Sir it was a good trip, never had a bad one coming back to West Virginia.

We did the round trip from Romney down around Smoke Hole Seneca Rocks and down to Spruce knob, the granddaughter loves to ride around and see all the sights.

I looked at the stores but to my surprise even Yokum’s and the store in the back beside them had none, shame since we used Carbide lanterns to cave the area and once upon a time you could by it in 5 gallon cans.

Perhaps we could get an AR-15.com camping trip for this summer in the area?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:01:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't threaten me with fun. Plenty of places to go. Plenty of places to camp and fish. Spruce Knob is a great place to go. EM or IM your address and Ill track you down some carbide. Have a few horses here if your granddaughter wants to ride.
Macro, the Sods and Cranberry Glades are fantastic places to go! The High Falls of Cheat, not bad. Drop a note before you go and Ill get you my info also, not bad to have contacts when you travel.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:16:11 AM EDT
[#8]
That's where my grandfather on my Mom's side came from originally. I go up there every year for
the family reunion, and really like it.

My cousins own Smoke Hole Caverns, Jerry & Janet Hedrick.

In the area where you're talking, I doubt that you'll run into anybody. Excellent hiking.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:02:04 PM EDT
[#9]
That's a nice area. I go there twice a year to shoot the "ASC" - long range tactical matches.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:34:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the responses guys. I havent nailed down the dates yet but once I have the trip on the calendar I'll shoot an IM to the folks that offered info.

Sounds like I picked a good area....looking forward to checking it out in person.
Thanks again for the info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top