Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2005 1:45:58 PM EDT
John and I went hunting this morning and things ended up well.  They didn't start that way.  Last week, John hit a deer and we tracked it for over a mile before giving up.  He had been given some bad advise about bullets.  Somebody told him a 168 HP was a good hunting round.  Well, with predictable results, he hit a deer in the front shoulder and created a hell of a flesh wound, but nothing more.

Today was different.  We didn't see anything in the morning so we did a number of "pushes".  A push is like a drive, but quieter.  We pushed out several wood lots on the farm but nothing was around.  I was starting to get worried.

Finally, we hit a patch of woods that I know usually holds several deer.  John set up at the bottom of the hill and I started walking at the top.  About 10 minutes in, I kicked up 6 deer.  I radioed John and less than a minute later, I heard the shot.

When we met up, John seemed a bit worried.  He hadn't seen the deer go down and it hadn't appreared to be wounded.  Unlike most new hunters he paid close attention to the direction they ran.  We went to the general area and started looking.  Within a few minutes, Jon found a blood trail.  It was a good one.  Within a few yards, I found a chunk of lung on the ground, surrounded by pink, frothy blood.  

The trail went up a hill at an angle for about 50 yards.  It suddenly stopped.  We both looked at eachother with a confused look.  The trail just stopped going up.  Hmmm... oh maybe that's because its laying dead on the ground about 6 feet back!

The shot was perfect.  He took out the lungs near the back and pulverized the liver.  He was using Federal High Energy soft points (165 grain I think) and the wound channel was impressive.  

It was his first deer.  Honestly, I don't know who was more excited about it, him or me.  I really enjoy being with new hunters when they get that first deer.  

Oh yeah... we only had a crappy phone camera so the pics are not great, but you get the idea.  It was a nice doe, weighing about 115 pounds dressed.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:04:01 PM EDT
[#1]
now that the pics are up..

Nice job AF
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:29:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Kick ass!!!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:47:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:09:29 PM EDT
[#4]
SHweet!

But I got this??

Error

We're sorry, this page is temporarily unavailable. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please try again later.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:46:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:47:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:47:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#8]
is that the rifle playboy is selling in the EE?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:49:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Good looking gun too.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:05:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Nope.  That's a Remington 700 with a 5R barrel and it is a nice rifle.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good looking gun too.

that is my new Remington 700 5-R milspec...the gun i have for sale in the EE is a Savage FP10

as for the deer...it was awesome.  i definetly thought i missed it by the way it just ran off like the others.  tracking it was awesome too when i found the blood
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:15:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Remington 700 5-R milspec...

That's a might bit heavy lugging around that farm, huh?

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:31:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Mmmm, Deer Venison for EVERYONE!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:38:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice job...glad you finally got the first deer out of the way...now...time to kill a few more!!!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:39:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Good job son.
I like the 165gr Federal Fusion.  A few weeks ago I shot a deer at 125yds (according to my laser rangefinder) on the same hunting property, a spine shot right between the shoulders (DRT-Dead Right There) a few weeks ago and the bullet didn't exit.  It made an entrance wound that I could fit a grapefruit into (no exit wound because the bullet fragmented on the spine 100%).  Brett (also from VA Arms) shot a running button buck at 75yds in the left shoulder and it spun 180 degrees and dropped like a rock.  It's exit wound was about the size of a baseball.  He and I both used 165gr Federal Fusion in .30-06, this is a bonded bullet much like Gold dot is for handguns.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:08:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I tried hunting with a PSS a few years ago... it ain't fun.  Afplayboy didn't have a sling so he used some 550 para cord and while it worked, I'd hate to see what his shoulder looks like this morning.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:38:13 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Afplayboy didn't have a sling so he used some 550 para cord and while it worked, I'd hate to see what his shoulder looks like this morning.

Jesus men, I have a friggen spare sling I can give the boy.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:49:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I tried hunting with a PSS a few years ago... it ain't fun.  Afplayboy didn't have a sling so he used some 550 para cord and while it worked, I'd hate to see what his shoulder looks like this morning.

Jesus men, I have a friggen spare sling I can give the boy.

the shoulder is a bit sore but it worked

it aint so heavy, im still a young buck
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:39:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Last week, John hit a deer and we tracked it for over a mile before giving up.  He had been given some bad advise about bullets.  Somebody told him a 168 HP was a good hunting round.  Well, with predictable results, he hit a deer in the front shoulder and created a hell of a flesh wound, but nothing more.

Ummm.

John,
Who was it once again who said that 168gr was a good hunting round?  I transferred you your Savage 10LE .308.  I don't know who transferred you your Remington 700 5R but I'm checking (we keep DAMN good records).  When you picked up your Savage I remember telling you that you should sight in your rifle with whatever you plan on shooting through it as you would any rifle, pistol or shotgun.  This was after you thought you could just use Aussie surplus 7.62 NATO ammo for sighting in and then shoot anything and it would be the same zero.

Robb
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:35:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Last week, John hit a deer and we tracked it for over a mile before giving up.  He had been given some bad advise about bullets.  Somebody told him a 168 HP was a good hunting round.  Well, with predictable results, he hit a deer in the front shoulder and created a hell of a flesh wound, but nothing more.

Ummm.

John,
Who was it once again who said that 168gr was a good hunting round?  I transferred you your Savage 10LE .308.  I don't know who transferred you your Remington 700 5R but I'm checking (we keep DAMN good records).  When you picked up your Savage I remember telling you that you should sight in your rifle with whatever you plan on shooting through it as you would any rifle, pistol or shotgun.  This was after you thought you could just use Aussie surplus 7.62 NATO ammo for sighting in and then shoot anything and it would be the same zero.

Robb

i got the Remington tranferred somewhere else, you wont be able to find  that in your records...

i was talking to Bernie about the ammo and out of what yall have i asked about the black hills ammo 168gr for long distance shooting.  he said it was good and i was talking more about that and mentioned that i will be using it for hunting also.

now i dont know if he caught that or not so im not trying to blame anyone or anything like that.  i didnt know myself that there was a difference between long distance shooting and hunting ammo...that was my mistake for not researching that further.

im not saying that Bernie gave me wrong advice or anything like that, just a misunderstanding im sure.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:17:35 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
i got the Remington tranferred somewhere else, you wont be able to find  that in your records...

i was talking to Bernie about the ammo and out of what yall have i asked about the black hills ammo 168gr for long distance shooting.  he said it was good and i was talking more about that and mentioned that i will be using it for hunting also.

now i dont know if he caught that or not so im not trying to blame anyone or anything like that.  i didnt know myself that there was a difference between long distance shooting and hunting ammo...that was my mistake for not researching that further.

im not saying that Bernie gave me wrong advice or anything like that, just a misunderstanding im sure.

Thanks for the clarification.
168gr and 175gr are great for long distance shooting, which is totally different than hunting.  Most hunting bullets are softpoint not hollowpoint.  168gr and 175gr have hollowpoints to better balance and stablize them in flight thus making them very accurate and consistant and since paper is already dead everything in a target bullet is designed for accuracy.  

Hunting bullets are made for penetration and expansion first and accuracy last.  I'd venture to say that there is likely not a hunting bullet that will out perform the 1.3" groups at 300yds that my Rem 700P does using 175gr BTHP Black Hills.  I'd probably be lucky to get groups twice or three times that size using hunting ammo.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:29:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the clarification.
168gr and 175gr are great for long distance shooting, which is totally different than hunting.  Most hunting bullets are softpoint not hollowpoint.  168gr and 175gr have hollowpoints to better balance and stablize them in flight thus making them very accurate and consistant and since paper is already dead everything in a target bullet is designed for accuracy.  

Hunting bullets are made for penetration and expansion first and accuracy last.  I'd venture to say that there is likely not a hunting bullet that will out perform the 1.3" groups at 300yds that my Rem 700P does using 175gr BTHP Black Hills.  I'd probably be lucky to get groups twice or three times that size using hunting ammo.

i got a long talking to about hunting ammo vs. distance ammo.  for some reason i got hollow point and soft point confused.

i got a box of the Federal Vital Shok and it did great
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:51:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Good job AFPB  No get in the kitchen and fix us up some deer sammiches.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:22:18 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

i will disregard that second part as being not for me...try again
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:59:23 AM EDT
[#25]
You killed it, you grill it.  Venison is made for grillin' unless made into BBQ in a crockpot so get to the grill.  I need a tenderloin sammich hold the mayo.......

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:43:59 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
You killed it, you grill it.  Venison is made for grillin' unless made into BBQ in a crockpot so get to the grill.  I need a tenderloin sammich hold the mayo.......

Quoted:

Quoted:

well i never cooked it before so i'll try my best.  extra mayo for you though
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top