Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/13/2005 5:03:37 PM EDT
I need to get up to the DC area for business, and was going to try to get over to the NRA range first thing Friday morning when they open. I've been a NRA member for nearly 11 years, but never been to the range, and while I've read the website about the quiz and fees, is there anything else I should know?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:16:56 PM EDT
Don't forget to double-up on the hearing protection, it get's pretty LOUD in there.....

Have fun! I'd join ya but I gotta be at work.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:55:13 PM EDT
is it usually busy during friday mornings?

i have a sig p226 and an FN shotgun to shoot for the first time and a Remington 700 5R and scope to sight in and id like to have some time without worrying about time.

i'll talk to frtloop but more than likely we'll be there when it opens.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:39:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bonk2029:
I need to get up to the DC area for business, and was going to try to get over to the NRA range first thing Friday morning when they open. I've been a NRA member for nearly 11 years, but never been to the range, and while I've read the website about the quiz and fees, is there anything else I should know?

Nothing else I can think of....dont worry about hearing protection or glasses, they are provided there for you. You'll also find targets & backers.

Finding it should not be hard, you'll see a huge building marked NRA on the side of the highway (66).

I have a day off on Friday and was thinking of going there as well. If you see a guy with a Steyr AUG & an M4, say hi. It'll be me.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:25:47 PM EDT
i have heard that they are very strict about time there. if you say you want a lane for an hour they will kick you out after that hour or they will charge you for the extra time. blue ridge out in chantilly is much more lax especially if its not crowded. i have never been charged more than an hour no matter how long i was there.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:45:18 PM EDT
Thanks for the help, guys.

I'm going to bring my M4gery and one of my Glocks. If you see a goofy looking guy in jeans and a Michigan State University sweatshirt, that's me.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:45:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By aaronrb204:
i have heard that they are very strict about time there. if you say you want a lane for an hour they will kick you out after that hour or they will charge you for the extra time. blue ridge out in chantilly is much more lax especially if its not crowded. i have never been charged more than an hour no matter how long i was there.

i have experience the opposite before. if there are no people waiting they will not be so hasty to kick you out...

if there are people then they do let you know when to start wrapping it up.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:27:14 AM EDT
You could always go to Shooter's Paradise on Jefferson Davis Highway (Route 1) in Woodbridge, you can also shoot rifles indoors there...
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:39:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By afplayboy18:
is it usually busy during friday mornings?.....

The NRA range used to be the best kept secret in NOVA. I could show-up just about anytime before 3pm on a Friday and not have to wait for a lane, and, there would be plenty of empty lanes. Now, the place is almost always full on Fridays. I just moight have to start going on Mondays.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:49:09 AM EDT

i have experience the opposite before. if there are no people waiting they will not be so hasty to kick you out...

+1

thats the way it has been with me. unless it's backed up, they are cool about letting you stay over the limit.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:58:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By gplg:

+1

thats the way it has been with me. unless it's backed up, they are cool about letting you stay over the limit.

+2 but the few times i been there, it was pretty empty.

don' t they let you shoot rifles there as well?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:21:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By hardcorps1775:
don' t they let you shoot rifles there as well?

yep....i think the max is .460 Weatherby Magnum

shotgun slugs only also
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:40:10 PM EDT
What time are you guys planning on being there Friday AM?
I put the kiddo on the bus at 8:30, and can be up at NRA around 9:45 or so.
AR, Socom, a couple CZ's and away I go, lol.

DaddyDett
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:21:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DaddyDett:
What time are you guys planning on being there Friday AM?
I put the kiddo on the bus at 8:30, and can be up at NRA around 9:45 or so.
AR, Socom, a couple CZ's and away I go, lol.

DaddyDett

they open at 10am...thats a good time to be there for us...
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:27:02 PM EDT
Sounds like that will work out then.
I usually wear my DC United hat when shooting.

DaddyDett
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:29:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/14/2005 6:29:41 PM EDT by 7]

Originally Posted By hrt4me:
You could always go to Shooter's Paradise on Jefferson Davis Highway (Route 1) in Woodbridge, you can also shoot rifles indoors there...

As stated below, NRA allows rifles too.... But Shooters allows full auto. Yes, I know technically NRA does too but I've always heard only after hours or by appt.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:58:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/14/2005 8:04:25 PM EDT by frtloop85]
Does anyone that is going to go on Friday have an XD 9mm or a Kahr PM9 or CW9 that I would be able to try shooting? I'm looking around a nice small 9mm's that I can conceal very easily and I LOVE the size of the Kahr. But, I want to shoot everything before committing to anything.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:21:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/15/2005 2:26:12 AM EDT by 199]
Bring your NRA membership card for a cheaper rate. If you can’t find it, bring something like an American Rifleman with your address on it. Sometimes the RO’s will take your word for it that you’re an NRA member; sometimes they won’t.

Originally Posted By mayday:
....dont worry about hearing protection or glasses, they are provided there for you. …

True. But they are grungy. I’ve seen shooters return earmuffs absolutely dripping with sweat. And the glasses tend to greasy and scratched up.

I wonder how many NRA range shooters suddenly find themselves coming down with a cold, flu, head lice or whatever the next day.

If anyone decides to borrow either, I’d suggest they take them into one of the bathrooms and wash them first.

i have heard that they are very strict about time there. if you say you want a lane for an hour they will kick you out after that hour or they will charge you for the extra time. ...

The opposite is true – if there isn’t a waiting list you can stay as long as you want (till closing time, of course).

The range never charges extra for extra time. And range time is sold only in 1-hour increments. You can stay as long as you want (not busy) or you have to leave when your hour is up (busy), one or the other.

Granted, if you have to leave your lane because they’re busy, you can get on the waiting list, and then pay for another hour when you’re called.

ETA: Don’t forget to check out the museum while you’re there!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:33:19 PM EDT
well...looks like the scope base i was waiting on didnt get here today like it was supposed to.

guess i will have to postpone my range trip to saturday morning and just hope the base gets here tomorrow.

yall have fun tomorrow
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:19:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/16/2005 4:14:50 AM EDT by DaddyDett]

Stafford County Schools are on a 2 hr delay today, so I am out as well.
Perhaps another Friday we can try again.

DaddyDett

ETA: School cancelled, Day Care open, I am going to make the trip anyways, and hope the roads are ok.

DaddyDett
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:25:11 PM EDT

I made it up about 10:45, and got lane 13 right away.
Of course I forgot to wear my DC United hat, doh!
I didn't meet anyone new unfortunately.

What a nice facility!!
How cool is being able to not wear a jacket in a range in winter around here??
And the targets werent swinging like an ape in a tree, sweet.

I burned up 80 rds of .223, 40 rds of .45 ACP, and 150 rds of 9mm.

I really need to work on the rifle technique, I have a very hard time keeping a steady hold on target standing, or even with my elbow resting on the table.

DaddyDett
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:19:13 PM EDT
I think we were right next to you for a while. We (me, my wife and my dad) were in lane 12 starting about 1120 or so. We were trying to get there earlier, but a pointless side trip to Dick's (sold out of both .40cal and .223 ) tied us up. My wife shot first, if you saw the cute blonde with the Glock 27, then my dad and I shot rifles for a while.

Nice facility. If I lived closer, I would definitely go more.
Top Top