Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/10/2004 3:34:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd be interested in some tactical shotgun, too
Link Posted: 11/10/2004 4:01:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/10/2004 7:16:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, I would prefer handheld light shooting......

In fact, that would make it easier to lend lights to those who may not have one and gives us a little more realistic sense of deploying a firearm with the different "grips"....

I do not have a carbine mounted light....

C4igrant can I get a tape switch for the X200????
Link Posted: 11/11/2004 5:51:13 AM EDT
[#4]
If lowlight shooting was handheld light with pistol that would be great.
Link Posted: 11/12/2004 5:38:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm having some trouble keeping this all straight. It’s getting very hard to communicate the exact class we want to Blackwater with all the changes. Do we really want a three day Pistol/Carbine/Shotgun/Low light (Hand Held Only) class? Blackwater was already suggesting we go to a five day class and I have not even mentioned shotgun training yet. Personally, I have no interest in including shotgun training. Obviously, it will be included if everybody agrees to it. Do we need another vote on adding a shotgun section? Do you guys think we can realistically get all of this into three days? I think we should keep Doug's statement in mind: "Remembering there is only so much you can accomplish in three days. Question do you want to cover a lot of techniques a little bit or a reasonable amount of techniques a lot?"  I spoke to Rob one of the senior instructors yesterday and he was pushing for a five day class. This would push the cost of the class up to $1000, plus the $50 per day of low light. Ammunition requirements go up to 2500 rounds minimum. Is this the direction we want to go? Blackwater also stated everybody will need there own lights for the low light training. Hand held or weapon mounted for the pistol section and weapon mounted only for the carbine low light. No sharing of lights. It will hold up the training too much to share lights.
Link Posted: 11/12/2004 5:47:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm having some trouble keeping this all straight. Its getting very hard to communicate the exact class we want to Blackwater. Do we really want a thee day Pistol/Carbine/Shotgun/Low light (hand held only) class? Blackwater was already suggesting we go to a five day class and I had not even mentioned shotgun training yet. Do you guys think we can realistically get all of this into three days? I think we should keep Doug's statement in mind: "Remembering there is only so much you can accomplish in three days. Question do you want to cover a lot of techniques a little bit or a reasonable amount of techniques a lot."  I spoke to Rob one of the senior instructors yesterday and he was pushing for a five day class. This would push the cost of the class up to $1000, plus the $50 per day of low light. Ammunition requirements go up to 2500 rounds. Is this the direction we want to go?

I am out of a 5 day.

3 days.....Pistol/Carbine/Minimal Low Light or Advanced Pistol/Carbine, period.

FWIW....
Link Posted: 11/12/2004 5:56:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm having some trouble keeping this all straight. Its getting very hard to communicate the exact class we want to Blackwater. Do we really want a thee day Pistol/Carbine/Shotgun/Low light (hand held only) class? Blackwater was already suggesting we go to a five day class and I had not even mentioned shotgun training yet. Do you guys think we can realistically get all of this into three days? I think we should keep Doug's statement in mind: "Remembering there is only so much you can accomplish in three days. Question do you want to cover a lot of techniques a little bit or a reasonable amount of techniques a lot."  I spoke to Rob one of the senior instructors yesterday and he was pushing for a five day class. This would push the cost of the class up to $1000, plus the $50 per day of low light. Ammunition requirements go up to 2500 rounds. Is this the direction we want to go?

I am out of a 5 day.

FWIW....

+1
Link Posted: 11/12/2004 6:04:09 PM EDT
[#8]
    Fellows, don't let your imagination get away with you.  Sometimes the simpliest approach is the far better approach.  I can't speak for any of the other instructors at Blackwater but rest assured if you go in to this with an open mind the instructor you get will push you based on your abilities.  
    The  best thing each of you can do is come together on what it is you would like to cover in THREE DAYS, not much time.  If you simplify your requirements and concentrate on building on where you are I can guarntee you will come away with big smiles on your face instead of frustration
Link Posted: 11/12/2004 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the advice Doug!
Link Posted: 11/12/2004 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll just wait a few days for everybody to post there opinion before I contact Blackwater again. Everybody deserves to have there opinion heard on this matter. We are all paying our hard earned money and I'd like to design a class everybody can live with.
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 1:37:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am out of a 5 day.

FWIW....

+ 2 We can plan for a 5-Day in Phase III in 2006 to include a shotty class. Sorry for gettin' off track
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 2:03:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 3:54:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/13/2004 4:04:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
<<SNIP>>

Yes, give us the distilled versions......give us the opportunity to vote and that is that.....
Link Posted: 11/14/2004 9:51:06 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<<SNIP>>

Yes, give us the distilled versions......give us the opportunity to vote and that is that.....

Roger that!
Link Posted: 11/14/2004 1:09:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am out of a 5 day.

FWIW....

+ 2 We can plan for a 5-Day in Phase III in 2006 to include a shotty class. Sorry for gettin' off track

+3
Link Posted: 11/15/2004 10:02:07 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm seriously considering running an AR10 carbine at the next class with a backup M4 carbine.

Rob -- you gonna do it this year?
Link Posted: 11/15/2004 11:48:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/15/2004 1:19:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

FWIW....

+ what number are we up too?

I think a shotgun class should be kept seperate.
Blackwater has does a lot of instructing. If they see the class we took previously, I am sure they will be able to teach us a lot more.

Link Posted: 11/15/2004 4:18:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/15/2004 5:59:34 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm seriously considering running an AR10 carbine at the next class with a backup M4 carbine.

Rob -- you gonna do it this year?

I think that's a great idea. If you don't, you better bring it as a back-up for the M4.

I dumped the LMT high dollar shit.  It should work fine this year.
Link Posted: 11/15/2004 6:07:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/16/2004 6:07:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Gents....

Can I offer some insight?

You have a great opportunity for some great training. Do not try to get overwhelmed with a whole lot of stuff. If this is a three day affair, stick to rifles and go from there.

"Remembering there is only so much you can accomplish in three days. Question do you want to cover a lot of techniques a little bit or a reasonable amount of techniques a lot?"

This should be the question you want to answer in regards to a three day course.

Frankly, I'd leave the shotties out of this. I say this because I just did a Defensive Shotgun course at SigArms this summer. It was a two day affair and that really just covered the basics. Additionally, except for transitions to the sidearm drills, I'd leave any further pistol work out of it. You won't really get any real in-depth pistol training accomplished. Again, I say this cuz I have done several SigArms pistol classes over the last few years. Serious pistol training is a five-day hitch, minimum. You would be cheating yourselves.

Keep it simple.  Rifles, Rifles, Rifles! Add low-light to this, but, keep it rifle oriented. Add a good amount of non-dominant hand shooting, etc. Remember, your sidearm is there for when the rifle goes empty/belly-up and you need something until you get it back up and running. Therefore, keep the pistol work to a minimum.

If you want pistol training, take a dedicated pistol course, you will be better served doing so.

This is strictly my opinion, please take it for what it is worth.

Enjoy your course.........

edited for grammar
Link Posted: 11/16/2004 6:16:19 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Gents....

Can I offer some insight?

You have a great opportunity for some great training. Do not try to get overwhelmed with a whole lot of stuff. If this is a three day affair, stick to rifles and go from there.

"Remembering there is only so much you can accomplish in three days. Question do you want to cover a lot of techniques a little bit or a reasonable amount of techniques a lot?"

This should be the question you want to answer in regards to a three day course.

Frankly, I'd leave the shotties out of this. I say this because I just did a Defensive Shotgun course at SigArms this summer. It was a two day affair and that really just covered the basics. Additionally, except for transitions to the sidearm drills, I'd leave any further pistol work out of it. You won't really get any real in-depth pistol training accomplished. Again, I say this cuz I have done several SigArms pistol classes over the last few years. Serious pistol training is a five-day hitch, minimum. You would be cheating yourselves.

Keep it simple.  Rifles, Rifles, Rifles! Add low-light to this, but, keep it rifle oriented. Add a good amount of non-dominant hand shooting, etc. Remember, your sidearm is there for when the rifle goes empty/belly-up and you need something until you get it back up and running. Therefore, keep the pistol work to a minimum.

If you want pistol training, take a dedicated pistol course, you will be better served doing so.

This is strictly my opinion, please take it for what it is worth.

Enjoy your course.........

edited for grammar

We all trained at Blackwater in the summer.  3 day pistol/carbine class.  We are working on where to go next.....

This will be a pistol/carbine class, that's predetemined.

...but thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 11/24/2004 4:04:58 PM EDT
[#25]

Va_Dinger, I may be jumping ahead a little with this Question. For the 10 of us that attended Phase 1
in June, Do we need to renew or update our Credentials for Blackwater in regards to Phase II. Thanks BTH
Link Posted: 11/24/2004 5:21:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Va_Dinger, I may be jumping ahead a little with this Question. For the 10 of us that attended Phase 1
in June, Do we need to renew or update our Credentials for Blackwater in regards to Phase II. Thanks BTH

Yes, you will need to submit a new credential. Blackwater does not keep past credentials on file.

***I should have the intineray proposal completed by next weekend. My work has been crazy this month and I have not had a chance to work on it.  Things should get back to normal next week. ***
Link Posted: 11/24/2004 7:48:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/25/2004 3:59:41 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, you will need to sumit a new credentail. Blackwater does not keep past credentials on file.

***I should have the intineray proposal completed by next weekend. My work has been crazy this month and I have not had a chance to work on it.  Things should get back to normal next week. ***

Oh shit... you better get started now Bobby.

Link Posted: 11/26/2004 6:11:02 AM EDT
[#29]
I have attended several course at Blackwater.  While they required me to submit credentials each time, they had no problem with me submitting a copy of the credentials I used for previous courses.  While you may want to verify this with Carol, they should be OK with a copy of whatever you used for the first course.  (If you kept copies!)  For you folks in communist states, this may cut down on the red tape!

- Bill
Link Posted: 11/26/2004 8:47:58 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I have attended several course at Blackwater.  While they required me to submit credentials each time, they had no problem with me submitting a copy of the credentials I used for previous courses.  While you may want to verify this with Carol, they should be OK with a copy of whatever you used for the first course.  (If you kept copies!)  For you folks in communist states, this may cut down on the red tape!

- Bill

Bill, Thanks for the tip, may save me $30. to the State Police for another background.
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 6:25:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/24/2004 4:13:27 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
One point that was stressed, was that Blackwater will not give an Military/LEO type training to civilians.

I can swing that for you if you want.

Link Posted: 12/25/2004 4:43:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Now that my work has calmed down I can get back on this. Blackwater and I have been playing phone tag for the past month. I should have this wrapped up in under two weeks.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:22:23 PM EDT
[#34]
I spoke with Blackwater yesterday. Everything is going along smooth and we are on track. Carol has assured me we will have a intineray by early next week.  We will be having a low light section at the end of day two. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/21/2005 2:30:28 AM EDT
[#35]
    I just stopped by to see how the class was coming along, it looks like everything is shaping up nicely, and to say hello from Afghanistan.
    I got the chance to speak with Carol before I left and told her what a great group of guys you were.  I also mentioned how good each of you were when I worked with you last summer and what a challenge it was. I may have this wrong but I mentioned to her about having the phase I and phase II class going at the same time so at the end of the days training you could get together as a group and hang out.  I hope I got the feeling of the group rignt.
    Anyway here's hoping you have a succesful three day of training, eveyone is satisfied with the format and everyone comes away with some more knowledge.  
    Good Luck, wish I could be there, maybe next time

Doug
Link Posted: 1/21/2005 2:53:47 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
    I just stopped by to see how the class was coming along, it looks like everything is shaping up nicely, and to say hello from Afghanistan.
    I got the chance to speak with Carol before I left and told her what a great group of guys you were.  I also mentioned how good each of you were when I worked with you last summer and what a challenge it was. I may have this wrong but I mentioned to her about having the phase I and phase II class going at the same time so at the end of the days training you could get together as a group and hang out.  I hope I got the feeling of the group rignt.
    Anyway here's hoping you have a succesful three day of training, eveyone is satisfied with the format and everyone comes away with some more knowledge.  

Doug

Doug, thank you and make sure to watch your ass.
Link Posted: 1/21/2005 2:54:05 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Doug

Doug, Thank You .Good to hear from you. Take Care
Link Posted: 1/21/2005 3:45:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/21/2005 11:20:10 AM EDT
[#39]
I got a call today and we now have a new contact at Blackwater. It seems Carol has moved on to a different position within Blackwater. I'm pleased to say he is very eager to get our planning completed at a faster pace. I've been assured we will have everything squared away shortly. Carol has been swamped lately and it has slowed us down considerably.
Link Posted: 2/2/2005 7:48:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Any more developments?  I know you are locked in on Phase I, but I'm curious.....
Link Posted: 2/2/2005 2:28:07 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Any more developments?  I know you are locked in on Phase I, but I'm curious.....

No, I do not have any updates yet. The class is certainly going to happen and Blackwater has us locked on their schedule. I'm still working on the details with our new contact. Carol did not turn over many details to her replacement, so it was almost like going back to square one. It’s not really a problem, and we should have a workable itinerary soon.
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 8:54:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Here is a course description I stole from Sig's site. It is their advanced rifle course, it sounds pretty interesting.

Advanced Defensive Rifle Duration: 3 days / 24 hours

Abstract

This course is intended for citizens who desire more advanced level training with rifle or pistol caliber shoulder weapons primarily designed for personal defense or training. The emphasis of this course is on defensive applications at close range. The course minimizes classroom time, with the participant taking part in a series of drills that pick up where Defensive Rifle leaves off. The course then introduces more advanced skills and applications.

Overview

Review of Responsible Firearms Ownership and Defensive Applications of the Rifle and Carbine.
Review of Firearms Safety that works-in the home, workplace, vehicle, in training, and in carry.
Check of Zeroing and Precision Shooting, at various shooting positions
Static and Dynamic Drills Incorporating:
Reactive Shooting
Multiple Shot Techniques
Identification and Engagement of Multiple Opponents
Shooting While Moving and Utilization of Tactical Movement
Identification and Utilization of Cover
Diminished Light Equipment, Techniques and Tactics
Shooting from Alternative and Disadvantaged Positions
Extreme Close Quarters Shooting Techniques
Advanced Tactical Immediate Action
One Handed Operations (mounting, firing, and reloading)
Transition from shoulder weapon to handgun (various methods)
Defensive Rifle Interactive Training Scenarios and Judgmental Training
Preventative Maintenance session-cleaning, maintenance, inspection, and safe storage

Link Posted: 2/6/2005 11:07:18 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Here is a course description I stole from Sig's site. It is their advanced rifle course, it sounds pretty interesting.

Advanced Defensive Rifle Duration: 3 days / 24 hours

Abstract

This course is intended for citizens who desire more advanced level training with rifle or pistol caliber shoulder weapons primarily designed for personal defense or training. The emphasis of this course is on defensive applications at close range. The course minimizes classroom time, with the participant taking part in a series of drills that pick up where Defensive Rifle leaves off. The course then introduces more advanced skills and applications.

Overview

Review of Responsible Firearms Ownership and Defensive Applications of the Rifle and Carbine.
Review of Firearms Safety that works-in the home, workplace, vehicle, in training, and in carry.
Check of Zeroing and Precision Shooting, at various shooting positions
Static and Dynamic Drills Incorporating:
Reactive Shooting
Multiple Shot Techniques
Identification and Engagement of Multiple Opponents
Shooting While Moving and Utilization of Tactical Movement
Identification and Utilization of Cover
Diminished Light Equipment, Techniques and Tactics
Shooting from Alternative and Disadvantaged Positions
Extreme Close Quarters Shooting Techniques
Advanced Tactical Immediate Action
One Handed Operations (mounting, firing, and reloading)
Transition from shoulder weapon to handgun (various methods)
Defensive Rifle Interactive Training Scenarios and Judgmental Training
Preventative Maintenance session-cleaning, maintenance, inspection, and safe storage

Yo ! This is a Blackwater Thread ONLY

Where in the Hell is GUM ???
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 4:10:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Oddly enough, we now have another new Blackwater contact. This is now our third.  I have had to almost go back to square one with the Phase II intineray for the second time. Thank God, we started this process very early.
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 10:34:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Update
I just got off the phone with Blackwater and have some great news to pass along. They have agreed to include at least half a day of training in their shoot house during the Phase II class. I’m talking about the real deal Military/LEO only shoot house. We will also be spending a portion of the day at the Rogers Range. The shoot house training will be geared towards home defense scenarios using both the carbine and pistol. The low light section of the course will also be held in the Blackwater shoot house. They feel the low light section will be far more productive if the training is conducted indoors and I could not agree more. I should have a complete itinerary by next week; I just wanted to pass along this great news.
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 10:52:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Since I'm set for the phase I class in May can I get on the list for the phase II class?

Thanks,

Mike
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 1:37:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Holy Crap, that is great news!!!!!!!
I can't wait.
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 6:39:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 2:45:37 AM EDT
[#49]

Link Posted: 3/9/2005 3:03:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top