Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/25/2003 3:51:05 PM EDT
The name is VA Gun & Sports Supply and they are located at 731 J. Clyde Morris in midtown Newport News, near Oyster Point Industrial Park. They've been open for 8 months now. It's a small place owned by Jim Kyriazis.

I strolled in for the first time today on my way back from shooting my .22 S&W 41 at Lafayette. Jim seems to be a nice guy and his pistol prices are THE best of any store in Hampton Roads I've been in. I've been to A&P in VA Beach, Bob's in Norfolk, The Armory, Guns Unlimited, Carrolton Sportsman's Shop, you name it, and this place has them beat on everything I looked at. For example, a good yardstick I use to measure gun prices is the 9mm/.40/.357 SIG line of Glocks. These go for $500-650 in every store I've ever been in. Dark Sun and Trader Jerry usually have them at shows for ~$460. Jim has them everyday for $480. Another example is the SIG P229 for $599, brand spankin' new. That is most certainly in the gun show price range for a 229.

Anyway, I figured I would give ya'll a heads-up since he's new. He's doing an FFL transfer for me on Monday. I'm picking up a Collector Grade Mauser K98 M48 from Mitchell's Mausers. Jim just got in a few Seecamp .32s and we'll be discussing that as well on Monday.

Perhaps now is the time to get my hands on a Service Grade Garand from Fulton Armory? It's only a friendly neighborhood FFL transfer away.....
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 3:58:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/25/2003 3:59:57 PM EDT by bvmjethead]
I've been in there several times since he's opened. Nice guy, nice place.

Since I'm not a Glock fan, he really doesn't have anything I want. He does have a few other pistols and a few rifles and shotguns however.

He keeps a couple of small gun safes in stock at all times.

His prices are great.

I keep going in there hoping he'll start carrying more ammo. He has a bit of ball ammo in the popular handgun calibers, but no real "carry" or "defense" ammo.

If you're a Glock fan, this is your store.

Edited to say, I'm fairly certain that the owner Jim is a former LEO if that makes a difference to anybody.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 4:16:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/25/2003 4:17:27 PM EDT by chuckhammer]
I believe we met the other day up at Lafayette.....the name's Scott, right? Good to hear from you.

Anyway, I'm not really a "Glock Guy" but since pretty much everyone sells them, I like to use them as a measuring stick for pricing. That being said, I've always liked the 13-shot, full size .45 ACP Model 21.

Jim is supposed to recieve a fairly large shipment of self-defense ammo on Monday.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 1:53:04 AM EDT
Anybody notice if he had any sights for a Glock? I've got one with the factory plastic sights, and want either some Meprolight or Ashley Express tritiums.

Funny how you become accustomed to looking for gun shops, I was driving by northbound the other day and spotted the word "gun" out of the corner of my eye. I guess I'll have to stop by next time...
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 5:40:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SlimHazy:
Anybody notice if he had any sights for a Glock? I've got one with the factory plastic sights, and want either some Meprolight or Ashley Express tritiums.

Funny how you become accustomed to looking for gun shops, I was driving by northbound the other day and spotted the word "gun" out of the corner of my eye. I guess I'll have to stop by next time...

His number is 873-GUNS (4867). I do recall alot of Glock stuff.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 7:13:37 PM EDT
I saw some sights in there a few weeks ago. He keeps a good stock of anything Glock.

Call me if you're going to visit the store, I'll ride along with ya. It's only about 3 miles from my house.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 11:36:36 PM EDT
I have known jim for a few years and he does have the best prices in the area ,he is also a certified glock armorer.he can install night sights for you. JASON IN VA 873-1515
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 3:45:41 PM EDT
I was just down there and drove by the place Friday while on work related duties. I'll stop in the next time i'm in town.

Link Posted: 11/7/2003 7:16:12 PM EDT
As already stated, Jim is a good guy and a certified Glock armorer. Highly recommended. My mom, dad, and brother have each made recent purchases from him.

As close as I live to the store, I really should stop in more often.

DrMark
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 4:26:02 PM EDT
he's got a trijicon night sight sign hanging over the glocks. i think it is about 80 OR 90 $or so with installation. you really can't beat 600.oo for 228/229 n.i.b. either!!jason, for the 226/228 mags, i'll give you a call! seems like a nice enough guy to deal with.
Top Top