Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2003 5:26:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/4/2003 5:27:21 PM EDT by SHIVAN]
I'd like to touch base with someone who has the tools and such, and the expert know-how of how to disassemble and re-assemble and AR upper.

Specifically, the barrel assembly....

I would like to do an Armalite FF tube on an AR10 upper and know that the barrel needs to come off.

Not willing to chance it, and would like the guidance of a pro......

Willing to spring for beverages and pizza if so required.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 8:53:06 AM EDT
Does the AR10 use the same wrench as an AR15?
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 10:44:36 AM EDT
If everything is the same between an AR10 and an AR15 you could always bring it to the BRD. We could incorporate the project into the "Build it Yourself" demonstration. I have all the needed tools and have done this kind of thing several times already.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 7:33:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SHIVAN:
I'd like to touch base with someone who has the tools and such, and the expert know-how of how to disassemble and re-assemble and AR upper.

Specifically, the barrel assembly....

I would like to do an Armalite FF tube on an AR10 upper and know that the barrel needs to come off.

Not willing to chance it, and would like the guidance of a pro......

Willing to spring for beverages and pizza if so required.

You could speak to Tim Bacus at Gilberts. Or Robert at NoVA Gunworks. I've used both for AR work.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 5:13:26 AM EDT

Robert at NoVA Gunworks
do they have a web site?
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 6:07:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Hoplophile:
Does the AR10 use the same wrench as an AR15?

I don't think so, Armalite list two separate part numbers.

Do I need to have "GO-NO GO" gauges too?
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 3:13:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By themadhatter:

Robert at NoVA Gunworks
do they have a web site?

I wouldn't recommend NoVa gunworks (esp. Robert Garret)- sooner or later they will screw you over.

I recommend Larry Wright @ Potomac Arms, I think he also works out of Gilberts too.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 4:24:29 PM EDT

I don't think so, Armalite list two separate part numbers.

Do I need to have "GO-NO GO" gauges too?

You'll need the correct wrench plus the other 'standard' items like a torque wrench, barrel blocks, hammer, small punch for the gas tube roll pin. You -shouldn't- need gauges but they are nice to have just to double check.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 4:28:37 PM EDT
I've got the wrench and handguard on order with Armalite.

They said everything was headspaced with the barrel, etc.....if I use the same bolt, same barrel etc.....I should be good. So I will need a action block for the vice?

So as to not torque the upper rec'r?
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 5:21:35 PM EDT

They said everything was headspaced with the barrel, etc.....if I use the same bolt, same barrel etc.....I should be good. So I will need a action block for the vice?

Do they make action blocks that'll fit the larger AR10 receiver? Barrel blocks are sure to fit.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 6:16:24 PM EDT
Check here for AR10 vise blocks:

http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?type=store&category=HEARCM&orderby=ORGANIZATION%2Ecategory%2CINVENTORY%2Ebrand%2­CINVENTORY%2Emodel&template=&start=12
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 6:36:24 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 6:18:10 PM EDT
Thanks, Shivan.

Zirc
Top Top