Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/20/2003 8:10:00 PM EDT
me, my dad, and the guy at the gun shop(the gun dealer) got to talking about pistol grips on a shot gun. he said that somebody under 21 cant buy a pistol grip stock for a shot gun.

im 17 now and i will be 18 come sept 4th.
i want to get a pistol grip stock for my winchester 1300. so i was wondering if it would be legal for me to hunt with a shot gun that has a pistol grip on it

thanks
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 8:21:16 PM EDT
It would still be considered a shotgun with the pistol grip, so I don't see why there would be a problem. I don't recall seeing any laws concerning this issue. I don't remember if there are any hunting regulations covering shotguns with pistol grips though.

There are no laws about being 21 to buy a stock for a shotgun that I have ever seen either. What law did he say this was covered by?
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 1:24:12 AM EDT
The only laws that I know of concerning shotguns in VA have to do with barrel length, mag capacity and type of shot for hunting.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 5:01:12 AM EDT
The dealer is right. I can't quote verbatim right now, I'll have to find the passage, but a shotgun with a pistol grip is verbotten for a purchaser under 21, it is not considered a "long arm" by ATF.

That said, you can install one on your shotgun that you already have. Just like a handgun cannot be bought from a dealer by an 18 year old, it is perfectly legal for you to possess a handgun.
Top Top