Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2003 1:19:55 PM EDT
Of course this goes along with the "I was spoiled in NY" theme, but where in this damn state can a guy get some decent fresh dark roast whole bean coffee?

I called some place like beans to go that's in F'burg and he wanted $10 a pound.  That's insane....like Starbuck's insane and I won't pay that either.

There was a great supermarket chain by me, sort of a bulk buy place but you still bought normal portions.  They just did so much business they had great prices on everything and they roased their own beans in-store.  It was called Stew Leonard's for anyone that might know it.  It was the next best thing to a full blown farmer's market....

Anything like that around here?  I'll drive a ways for good fresh non-expensive coffee beans.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 3:33:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the kirkland brand sold at Costco, its roasted by starbucks.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 3:59:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Where are you in VA?

Do you have a Harris Teeter, Sutton Place, or Fresh Fields near you?

edit: oh, f'burg. You're f'ed
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 10:27:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, check out Shoppers and Ukrops and Giant on route 3 up one exit from us.
Also check out Costco and BJ's also on route 3.
I buy my beans at Costco. They are plenty good enough for my coffee, but I am not that picky.
if you really want fancy stuff there is a coffe shop on Prince william st. downtown (can't remember name) that has all sorts of coffe and accesories
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 5:24:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Ok, check out Shoppers and Ukrops and Giant on route 3 up one exit from us.
Also check out Costco and BJ's also on route 3.
I buy my beans at Costco. They are plenty good enough for my coffee, but I am not that picky.
if you really want fancy stuff there is a coffe shop on Prince william st. downtown (can't remember name) that has all sorts of coffe and accesories

I'd do Costco, but can't really justify the membership just to buy coffee.

The problem with regular supermarkets is you don't know how long the beans have been sitting around.  Yeah, I'm picky.

We're planning to do a short whirlwind trip today and check a bunch of places to see if anyone has something that looks good.  We did plan to look at Shoppers just because I have no idea what it's like.

Found a really good looking place in...Alexandria I think, called Misha's.  A real coffee house.  I may call them just to find out their prices.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 4:48:05 AM EDT
[#5]
"but can't really justify the membership just to buy coffee" He he, don't have much experience with Costco do you?  Going to costco is like going to the hardware store, you go for a lightbulb and come out with a 18v cordless drill!
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 9:49:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Curt's got it right (and seems to have read and posted to the same threads as me today).  Costco has a great assortment of stuff and the quality has improved greatly over the years.  For example, they are the largest wine seller in the US and they don't carry Ripple.  New York Times had a great article about the wine selection and excellent prices there.

If you're ever in the Manassas area over a weekend just drop me a line and we can go in on my card and you can take a look around.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 1:40:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Try Hyperion Expresso downtown at the intersection of William St. and Princess Anne.  Prices are 5.00 to 12.75/ lb. Downtown is great. I hate going out Rt. 3.  Personally, I'd pay more just to support a local business.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 1:45:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Curt's got it right (and seems to have read and posted to the same threads as me today).  Costco has a great assortment of stuff and the quality has improved greatly over the years.  For example, they are the largest wine seller in the US and they don't carry Ripple.  New York Times had a great article about the wine selection and excellent prices there.

If you're ever in the Manassas area over a weekend just drop me a line and we can go in on my card and you can take a look around.

Oh very cool, thanks Hop.

Link Posted: 7/30/2003 9:54:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Or drop me an e-mail and we can go to the Costco on Rt3 maybe this Staurday and shop on my card. I need some stuff, my in-laws are visiting.
[email protected]

Yeah, Hyperion that's the one. My wife and I stop by there all the time.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 8:43:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Try Hyperion Expresso downtown at the intersection of William St. and Princess Anne.  Prices are 5.00 to 12.75/ lb. Downtown is great. I hate going out Rt. 3.  Personally, I'd pay more just to support a local business.

I'll give them a try.  In a pinch I got some at Shopper's because it was cheap and didn't look all that bad.  It's okay.  In a month I'll need a refill so I'll try it.

Or drop me an e-mail and we can go to the Costco on Rt3 maybe this Staurday and shop on my card. I need some stuff, my in-laws are visiting.
[email protected]

Thanks whisper!  Probably not this weekend, but I may take you up on that in the future.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 1:28:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been drinking decaf since on this Atkins diet and I get the decaf beans from Costco that are roasted by Starbucks and some at Trader Joes in different flavors.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top