Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2003 5:06:35 AM EDT
Figure a piece of land in northern-westish (Winchester-ish). 600 yard range , members only dues in the $200-$300/yr range . Wonder if thats doable ?
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 9:04:20 AM EDT
[#1]
no Idea,but I'd join...
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 9:43:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd join.  NRA has info on their site about range development.  They can probably help out alot.

I heard rumour that the NRA was working on opening an outdoor rifle range at least a couple of hundred yards long.  But I have never heard any confirmation.

Link Posted: 7/9/2003 9:55:33 AM EDT
[#3]
WINCHESTER AREA! hell yeah ANGST,better than sleepy creek! but where are we going to find 600yrds of room in Frederick county? North-west? yeah prob Gore area..Ive heard theres a range in gore but its like an hour from my place and im told it sucks,Thats where CR and the boys from stonewall arms go....Anyway im down for the idea...........UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 10:08:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Sure it's doable.

But you better make sure to get the land ZONED to be a gun club. If not the first neighbor that move's close enough to complain WILL get you closed down. If not for noise, for safety reasons.

You'll need 30-60 acres, the zoning committee on your side ($$), some heavy equipment for building burms, building materials for buildings to provide shade at the least, benches, target stands, bathroom and handicapped facilities............

You'll need $250K Minimum.............
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#5]
You need a business plan, an incorporated entity and a good lawyer.

You will also need a small business loan with a line of credit of about $1 million.

You will need labor and lots of it...

I have considered this very thing, but have not gotten ambitious enough.  I am working towards it...

I am still looking for a piece of land between 50 and 100 acres, but more likely in Southern Virginia, not really "conveinent" to NoVA.  This would also not be "business" land.

What you really need is two or three motivated guys who are willing to risk everything to make it work.

Link Posted: 7/9/2003 10:25:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah thats the problem....IN the area which we are speaking of its getting hard to find 60-70 acres of anything but vertical cliffs that dosnt have a housing devolpment on it allready....Land costs are skyrocketing around here....If we go west of town a bit theres some more possiblitys but the best thing i think would be to find a old farmer with some land we can pay to use.At $300 per year Times 20 -30 people dosent leave much $$$ more less for materials and equipment rental...........Anyway the land plot and owner would have to be ideal for it to work...Unless youve got a patch of land in mind allready Steve?????

Edited to add: Who all here is located fairly close to the Winchester area anyway?
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 10:46:22 AM EDT
[#7]
NoVA is close enough to Winchester to make the drive worthwhile.  The other option for me is Quantico but I would prefer a private club that I could shoot at anytime without scheduling an RSO to open the range.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 3:59:49 PM EDT
[#8]
My take ...........to avoid the neighbor problem the land needs to be 100 ac or bordering some federal/state forest. Even in the Western areas 2-2,500/ac is the norm. Maybe 1500-2000 in area of Highland/Bath/Alleghany counties.
The purchase would require around 50,000 down and 2000/mo payment.
An LLC could be formed with shares given a value of say 2,000 which would be distributed based on participation and secured by the land value.
So 25 people with 2,000 cash and the ablity to pay 100/mo could make it work.
By not being a "shooting club" but land owners conducting legal activities I don't think zoning other than agricultural is necessary.
Now the problem of central location, bylaws,tax implications, etc. ,etc. would need resolved.
I am interested.............
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top