Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2003 9:04:27 AM EDT
First off I would like to thank Curt for opening his home to us and for all the work he put into my rifles.
Those LS really are a bitch to figure out.
Cliffy, Fenian, 101_Proof what can I say, you guys are great!!! I hope we can do this again soon!
We will get some pictures up soon I hope.

Guys we need to plan a shoot for next week Thursday. See if the rifles work or not.

Oh and Curt please tell your lovely wife THANK YOU, again from me.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 9:50:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks whisper.  I hope to have the pictures up today of those 4 fine rifles.

For anyone reading this post who is thinking of doing something similar i have the following observations.

Its a blast.  You get to hang with people from a variety of professions and experiences who share something in common and what's not to like about that?  None of us shared a common profession but it was still funny how small a world it is, Cliffy's parents probably work with my broinlaw in chico CA, fenian worked at the same place i worked at in a previous life, nick cooks good food and i eat good food.

You get to multiply your gun building experience.  If you build one gun by yourself you learn something about building that one gun and any problems you ran into on that one gun. When you help guys build 5 rifles you gain a lot of the knowledge that comes from building 5 rifles, now you know something.

Some things you need:  a garage of similar sized area with several table and benches, try and schedule things so that you have time to BS more, if you plan to take pictures to show the process you'll need someone to pretty much just do that.

So do it!  Start a thread as cliffy did to build, refinish, reload, or shoot and get together with folks you've never met.  You'll have fun, learn a thing or two and maybe end up with a fine firearm or two.

IT was my pleasure to host you guys.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 10:14:49 AM EDT
[#2]
What an awesome time!  Good company, good food and great rifles.  It really amazes me how many good people you can meet on the Internet.  

The builds went amazingly well.  We actually finished 4 rifles.  Both of Nicks and my Imbel and the lightweight were finished.  Curt was missing a few parts and didn't finish up and my STG with the zebrawood needed another locking shoulder.  I ordered that today from Tapco so it will be finished shortly.

I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures.  I'll post more details later.  
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 12:06:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Curt, once again thanks for your hospitality!  I had a great time hanging with you guys, and spent the next several hours after I left bumming 'cos I didn't have a receiver to build up.  

Nick, thanks for the meal...I ate like a king twice yesterday hehehe...left Curt's house and had a full stake dinner...I felt like I needed a bucket!

The fine camraderie more than made up for me not having a rifle when all was said and done.   But whatever the next build is, I'm gonna try and be ready.  

Steve and Dave, it was great meeting you guys...since you're closer to me than Nick, we'll have to head to the NRA and sling some lead some time.  

All in all, as Curt said, a great time was had by all, and people got some cool rifles.  Steve, you lightweight shorty is the BOMB!
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 10:43:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, I built three rifles last week and documents the party here. Well, on Wednesday night, I had my first chance to shoot two of them. The third is awaiting installation of the correct LS. In a word... perfect.

First, was the Imbel built on the take-offs from my SAR48. Gas setting at what would be 5 if it were not an Imbel. It never even hiccuped during the whole range session. I fired about 80 rounds through it without a single FTF or FTE. The only glitch was the BHO. It worked fine but when I inserted a new magazine, I couldn't release it. I could still get the bolt forward by pulling back on the charging handle. I am pretty sure it was just new parkerizing causing it to stick. I have since polished it.

Next was the lightweight. That one took a gas setting of 2 and I'll probably be opening up the gas port a bit. There was a single FTE when it was on 3 but other than that, there were no malfunctions through 80 rounds. It did kick a bit, but nothing too abusive.

On each, I did some slow fire, some rapid fire and shooting from a sitting postion. Both shot the main groups at 2" at 50 yards (longest range at the NRA), which is about as good as I could expect from iron sighted battle rifles when shooting without the aid of a bench. Neither required much windage adjustment.

To say the least, I'm pretty happy. Not only do they look like new factory production rifles, but they shoot like it as well.

Thanks to Curt for the help in his garage and to 300whisper, Fenian and 101_proof for all the assistance.  I'll be shooting the STG soon and will report back on that as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top