Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2003 4:54:47 AM EDT
From VCDL:

SB 33, a North Carolina reciprocity bill has passed the NC Senate!
The bill is now on Governor Easley's desk.  If he signs it, it
becomes law.  Virginia permits should be recognized within 60 days
after the bill becomes law.

Time to email the NC Governor!!!  He is not pro-gun, so he needs to
hear from VA residents who own property in NC or who would be willing
to spend more money and time in NC if they can defend themselves!

Here is the link to the web page to send him email:

www.governor.state.nc.us/email.asp?to=1

Don't delay - let's flood the Governor with email!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:49:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Done.

Thank You for all your hard work.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:53:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Done, and I thank you also!

Mark
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:28:22 AM EDT
[#3]
email sent.

Thanks for bringing this to out attention.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:14:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Done. This is certainly a step in the right direction for NC.

Now if Durham county would just sink into the earth and disappear...

Durham has mandatory handgun REGISTRATION and requires three character witnesses for CCW application and handgun purchases. I consider these requirements unreasonable, especially since I'm forced to move there soon (along with my family of handguns). I'm not looking forward to it...becoming a criminal that is.

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Done.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:04:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the link ..done

I would like to urge you you sign the following bill, SB 33, a North Carolina reciprocity bill for Virginia.

Please take the time to consider my families safety when we travel to and through you fine state. We vacation in the outer banks several time a year. I also attend several shooting sport matches held in Moyock area on a monthly basis. Please allow me to defend my family while in your state just like I have done in VA for the past 15 years.

Thank you

Thanks nice they thank you for contacting the Govenors office.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 6:07:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, right now it may either be law, or he may have vetoed it.  We should know tomorrow.  Cross your fingers!  Hopefully we will be allowed to carry in NC in about two months!
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:48:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Fingers crossed...
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:57:15 PM EDT
[#9]
WOOHOO!!!  We got it!!  The Governor signed the bill on Saturday!

Thanks for all your e-mails.

NOTE:  The law does not go into effect until 60 days from when it was signed.  Please check with VCDL or Packing.org and make sure you are familiar with NC's laws.  We will wait until we get confirmation from the NC Attorney General's Office before we advise carrying in NC.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:11:08 AM EDT
[#10]
One for the good guy's.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:48:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Robert, Would you know if the bill allows for Law Enforcement to utilize their credentials in lieu of the permit as Va code 18.2-308 allows?

Mark
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:19:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Robert, Would you know if the bill allows for Law Enforcement to utilize their credentials in lieu of the permit as Va code 18.2-308 allows?

Mark

Calling Chimborazo
Come in Chimborazo
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:01:27 AM EDT
[#13]
"Robert, Would you know if the bill allows for Law Enforcement to utilize their credentials in lieu of the permit as Va code 18.2-308 allows?"

In a word, No.  NC law only allows NC officers to carry without a permit.  Even as a VA officer, you are going to need a VA CCW to carry in NC.  If you were retired and had approval to carry based on your former LEO status, then VA law would consider that the same as a VA CCW, so I expect it would be good in NC.  For some reason that does not apply to active LEOs.  It's not a bad idea to have a valid CCW anyway.  I've been an LEO for seven years, but I always maintain my CCW permit as well.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:29:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok, If anyone finds out otherwise, please advise. Thanks!

Mark
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:38:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I believe Landric is correct.  For the most accurate information, call the North Carolina Attorney General's Office at 919-716-6400.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top