Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 8:50:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Silver is 2nd, gold is 1st. Links in the first post of the GD thread.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 9:33:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks Ben,
So then we track this all locally, and don't need to necessarily report this up to the actual American Pioneer Corps web site?  Would we also track, give out the hats/citations and such?
View Quote
Provided that you keep good records and abide by the guidelines, yes, you can handle awards of ratings and what not.

There will be some stuff that eventually needs to be reported up, but we are still working out what we should or should not include. Part of the beauty of this system is the relative independence subordinate units have within the pretty liberal left and right lateral limits of the guidelines.

We are going to have a certificate for folks that achieve Junior Leader and above ratings that should ideally be largely standardized.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 9:35:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Silver is 2nd, gold is 1st. Links in the first post of the GD thread.
View Quote
This. As we approach people qualifying for junior leader and leader we will reveal the current plan for their insignia. It is quite simple.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 11:02:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Need to get this spread far and wide.

RE: Feet. I used to make my living walking with heavy stuff. 20 years of not doing it as made my feet very soft.
Being fat doesn't help, AJ. Stop being fat!
You motherforklifter!!!!!

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 12:24:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Regarding our conversation at lunch today, here's a response from Spartan Tactical regarding the possibility of any paid and confirmed attendees being "bumped" for club members-

Tim,

I believe we sent you and your buddies that registered for the April 18 medical class registration confirmations via E-mail?

I show you guys on the class roster as paid in full and registered. Once you're registered for the class and locked in on the class roster, you cannot be "bumped" from the class roster. Not sure who told you that, but as you know, we only hold pre-paid slots on our class rosters.

Let me know if you did not receive the registration confirmation E-mail and I'll send it over again.

Stay safe. - Krup
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 12:30:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Sweet.  Thanks Tim.  Chris, we'll keep our fingers crossed that something opens up and u can join us.  Was great seeing all u guys from down south today.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 11:34:44 AM EDT
[#7]
From the GD thread-

Quoted:

Correct. All hikes must be over 3 miles to count. All 3+ mile hikes count towards milage provided the weight and gear rules are followed- you need at least two hikes of at least 6 miles distance.

Ideally, though few have done this, this enables you to dona 3 mile, 6 mile, then 9 mile hike. Bringing you to 18 and leaving you prepared for greater distances and challenges.
View Quote
Now I feel like we need to plan a 9 miler at some point.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 11:43:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
From the GD thread-

Now I feel like we need to plan a 9 miler at some point.
View Quote
I was thinking the same thing.  That should be on our upcoming agenda.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 11:49:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Let's just do a full on Roman  25 miles in a day forced march hike....If they can do it in Sandal boots, we can do it!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 11:55:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Let's just do a full on Roman  25 miles in a day forced march hike....If they can do it in Sandal boots, we can do it!!!!!!
View Quote
I'm in if you are.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 3:03:45 PM EDT
[#11]
If I were you all, I would hesitate to add more than 10 to 15% of the distance you hike in any one hike in a week onto the distance of a hike the next week.

Carefully building distance and strength over time is vital to preventing injury when you are trying to slowly create a monster of a Warrior athlete.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 3:54:13 PM EDT
[#12]
OOOYYYYY,
that Ain't how we do thing 'round here mate....we went from 3 miles to 6 miles....so we figure, if go from 6 to 9, we're actually decreasing the amount of extra hurt as the 3 to 6 run was a full 100% increase, while the 6 to 9 will ONLY be a 50% increase....

What could go wrong.....

EDIT: Says the old guy with blistered feet, aching knees, and painful hip flexors!
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OOOYYYYY,
that Ain't how we do thing 'round here mate....we went from 3 miles to 6 miles....so we figure, if go from 6 to 9, we're actually decreasing the amount of extra hurt as the 3 to 6 run was a full 100% increase, while the 6 to 9 will ONLY be a 50% increase....

What could go wrong.....

EDIT: Says the old guy with blistered feet, aching knees, and painful hip flexors!
View Quote
LOL, no shit. Come to think of it, we only even did one three mile hike before going right to a string of sixes, which I think we've all handled pretty well. Nine is the next logical progression. I'll slow down when doing it again the next day is a physical impossibility...nine will probably be that for me.

That said, I think we need to start doing more threes as well. We've moved along pretty quick and I'd hate to think these longer hikes are scaring off guys wanting to get started.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

LOL, no shit. Come to think of it, we only even did one three mile hike before going right to a string of sixes, which I think we've all handled pretty well. Nine is the next logical progression. I'll slow down when doing it again the next day is a physical impossibility...nine will probably be that for me.

That said, I think we need to start doing more threes as well. We've moved along pretty quick and I'd hate to think these longer hikes are scaring off guys wanting to get started.
View Quote
I guess it's time to up the pace a bit.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 7:02:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I guess it's time to up the pace a bit.
View Quote
I’m game.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 7:15:59 PM EDT
[#16]
We'll, I'm busy cutting a huge blister off my toe with very angry red skin underneath....so I'm going to be playing hiking with weight on Friday by ear.   On the other hand, the lukotape worked great and I'll be experimenting with it over the next few days as I'm out to walk the dogs.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 7:27:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Who was thinking about Friday, BirdDog and GreenDragon? Hopefully Slarti can heal up and get in something later this week, but if you guys need a third and you’ll be local, I’m your guy.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 7:33:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Who was thinking about Friday, BirdDog and GreenDragon? Hopefully Slarti can heal up and get in something later this week, but if you guys need a third and you’ll be local, I’m your guy.
View Quote
Not me, wife and I are going to a concert downtown on Friday. I could do something Sunday, though.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 7:45:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Cool. Depending on what, if anything, ends up developing for the end of the week I might be in for something Sunday.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 10:29:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I did 6mi with a 45lb pack. The way I read the other thread, it's over the required weight for provisional so it counts as the provisional hike, and as a 6 mi towards my 18 for 3rd, I think.

It's great seeing the women coming out and kicking ass. They're making some of those guys bitching about the requirements look pretty silly!
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 10:36:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Your hike will count as one of the two six mile 45lbs hikes required for 3rd class. Ben has confirmed that the 35lbs provisional hike doesn’t need to be done before logging the longer hikes. To put it simply, you need another 12 miles to make 3rd, to include at least one more six mile fully loaded hike.

Technically, you could drop to 35lbs for three of those 12 miles and still meet requirements.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 10:42:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Your hike will count as one of the two six mile 45lbs hikes required for 3rd class. Ben has confirmed that the 35lbs provisional hike doesn’t need to be done before logging the longer hikes. To put it simply, you need another 12 miles to make 3rd, to include at least one more six mile fully loaded hike.

Technically, you could drop to 35lbs for three of those 12 miles and still meet requirements.
View Quote
Yeah, but thats going entirely the wrong direction.

Link Posted: 3/2/2020 11:10:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yeah, but thats going entirely the wrong direction.

View Quote
Exactly, that’s why I said “technically”.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 2:34:33 PM EDT
[#24]
@Ben (Sorry.  I know you’re getting a lot of @s.  Answer at your convenience)
A group of us Illinois guys are signed up for a self aid/buddy aid medical class next month.  Looking at the BB training requirements I noticed that “accredited Basic First Responder and Stop The Bleed training” is specified.  The class we’re taking notes that we’ll get a Stop The Bleed certificate but makes no mention of other accreditation other than MCOLES which is a Michigan LE standard of some sort.  Below is a link to the class description.  Could you take a look at it and see if it would meet the requirements for the first responder training?  No worries if it doesn’t, it sounds like a good class and we’re taking it either way.  If it doesn’t meet the requirements, what is the best way to go about finding a local accredited BFR class?  My google fu is weak in regards to medical training.

Med class
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 3:17:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
@Ben (Sorry.  I know you’re getting a lot of @s.  Answer at your convenience)
A group of us Illinois guys are signed up for a self aid/buddy aid medical class next month.  Looking at the BB training requirements I noticed that “accredited Basic First Responder and Stop The Bleed training” is specified.  The class we’re taking notes that we’ll get a Stop The Bleed certificate but makes no mention of other accreditation other than MCOLES which is a Michigan LE standard of some sort.  Below is a link to the class description.  Could you take a look at it and see if it would meet the requirements for the first responder training?  No worries if it doesn’t, it sounds like a good class and we’re taking it either way.  If it doesn’t meet the requirements, what is the best way to go about finding a local accredited BFR class?  My google fu is weak in regards to medical training.

Med class
View Quote
It gets you half way there- the other half is being CPR/AED certified.  Basic Life Support/Basic First Responder is the CPR side of the house, while Stop the Bleed is the trauma side.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 3:30:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Good to know, thanks Ben.

Guess we'll all have a another class to take.

There's this-
American CPR

And I'm also seeing online certs for $12.95. While that may technically (there's that word again) meet criteria, I'd personally be inclined to take a hands on class for a few more bucks.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 4:32:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It gets you half way there- the other half is being CPR/AED certified.  Basic Life Support/Basic First Responder is the CPR side of the house, while Stop the Bleed is the trauma side.
View Quote
Copy that.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 8:17:32 PM EDT
[#28]
So, who was trying to get something together for Friday and is that still a possibility? Failing that, I’d be up for something Sunday but it will be one or the other for me.

I just ran across a price I couldn’t refuse on one of the packs I was considering. Hoping it ships quick and I can break it in this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 8:43:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Good deal.  What kind of pack did you nab?  I won't be able to travel to hike this weekend since I'll be spending both days doing shooting stuff.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 10:07:34 PM EDT
[#30]
@Redbirdxx....GreenDragon and I were kicking that around, but I'm not thinking I'm going to be up for a hike.  I have something kind of worked out that is ok for walking the dogs around the hood, but I still have a big hole in my toe.  I'm wondering if I should have waited a week to drain the blister and cut the skin off....I'll try a different setup solution tomorrow.  Bottom line is I gotta get the new skin toughened up so I can hike.  Only reason I got the blister was due to the double sock.  With the Lukotape, I won't need the sock, so lesson learned there...

@TheRadBaron...where are you shooting again, and will it involve movement?  Do you have a link?
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 10:08:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So, who was trying to get something together for Friday and is that still a possibility? Failing that, I’d be up for something Sunday but it will be one or the other for me.
View Quote
I dont know if i can do Friday, yet. My work schedule is kind of last minute. Sunday is open.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 10:11:22 PM EDT
[#32]
@Slarti I’m shooting out sorta near Danville.  I’ll send you an IM.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 10:17:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Picked up a Slumberjack Bounty 2.0

Attachment Attached File

I’ve been researching the hell out of backpacks the last couple of weeks and it had made the short list. Possible cons are it’s larger than I think I might need, and cost. In my wanderings doing yet more research I stumbled across an Amazon seller with “one availability at this price” for $210 and free shipping. Normal price is $290-$300. I would call it an impulse buy, but I had already watched every video and read every reviews I could find on the thing, twice.

I’ll see what I think of the size when I get my hands on it. Maybe backpacks are like trailers, vices, and safes...you’re gonna want a bigger one than you think.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 10:20:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Missed three posts while I was typing that and finding a pic. Its sounding like Friday is a no go, without a third there’s little point in GreenDragon driving all the way up here.

I’m up for something Sunday even if it involves travel.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 12:14:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Hey all,
There was an exchange on the main BB thread where Ben asks that we make sure we keep our official BB Activities (Hikes for now) non political.  I wanted to link that here and make sure you all saw it.  I think most everyone is up to speed on that thread, but I'll like it here for you to view...

https://www.ar15.com/forums/manageBookmark.html?b=1&f=5&t=2291145&tl=American-Battle-Buddies-American-Pioneer-Corps-Guidelines&r=83876436&page=12

If my ArfFoo was good enough I might be able to copy the 3 or 4 replies that encompass this discussion, but Alas...it's not... ;)
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 7:45:32 PM EDT
[#36]
PT time, who's in for the 29th?

Looks like what's turning into the "regular" guys  are split between central (Baron & GreenDragon) and northern (Slarti, Birddog & myself) so there's talk of meeting somewhere in the middle later in the day on 3/29 to knock out the PT test. Everyone is welcome, of course. I'd think even if you haven't been on a hike yet there's no harm in coming by, saying hi and possibly getting this out of the way, if you're so inclined.

Let's discuss and pin down a location and time.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 8:55:43 PM EDT
[#37]
That sounds good to me. I need to get started on it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 9:39:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Hey all,
Ben had an addition to the family.  Here's the thread in GD....feel free to go congratulate him and Jenzilla!

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Newest-Virginia-Battle-Buddy-associate-member-is-a-fighter-/5-2298546/
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 12:34:04 PM EDT
[#39]
I’m in for the PFT on the 29th.  It’ll be good to have something specific to train for.  Pushups aren’t a normal part of my routine and I need to do some work on that area.  Too bad flipping big tires over and then jumping over them isn’t part of the PT test.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 2:45:41 PM EDT
[#40]
I did my first sit ups and push ups this morning. It's been a bit since the last time I've done any. Sit ups were always my weak spot. Later today, I'll see how I do on the run.

My shoulder and elbow are a lot crunchier than they used to be.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 6:09:47 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm fine for the 29th.

Any interest from any of the guys that have piped in but not hiked yet?  We're happy to do some 3 mile hikes or even less of folks feel they need to ramp up.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 6:38:49 PM EDT
[#42]
@GreenDragon, what time would be optimal for you on the 29th, assuming a central location, meaning a 1-1.5 hr drive for all involved?

@SleepingBirdDog, intent to attend and preference on location or timing?

@everyone_else, come on out, we won't make you hike or do PT. We just want to meet you.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 7:18:08 PM EDT
[#43]
I should be able to hit the road in between 12-1230.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 9:09:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Any time works for me on the 29th.

There have been some good points brought up at the last few ILBB meetups that the fact that we're consistently doing 6-mile hikes, and talking about longer hikes still, could potentially be keeping new people from joining us out of concern that they might not be able to meet that standard yet.  If anyone maybe wants to meet up for a hike, please just speak up in the thread here.  We would gladly scale back our hikes to accommodate new members.  Whether that's 3 miles, 1 mile, or whatever.  You don't even have to carry a pack if that doesn't work for you at this point.  We're getting a cool group together and we'd like to have some more folks get involved.  
We're branching out beyond just hiking, too.  A few of us got together on Saturday for some carbine/pistol training and had a good time.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 6:42:24 AM EDT
[#45]
I ran for the first time on the treadmill last night. I made it the full 1.5, which surprised me. Sad, but this is the furthest distance that I've ever run at one time. The previous was a mile back in gym class, that would have been in 1985.

I need to shave off two minutes, I'd like to shave off 4.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 12:35:07 PM EDT
[#46]
How about we aim for something in the Kankakee area around 2:00-3:00? A high school track would be optimal but I have no idea how to go about checking if something like that would be available to the public or in use by school athletics on a weekend. I’d hope a Sunday would be GTG but wouldn’t want to assume.

Dragon, yeah, I was in the same boat until 2-3 months ago. Last time a ran a mile was in the mid-80’s in high school. It’s harder now.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 5:51:32 PM EDT
[#47]
That works for me.

I need to work on the push-ups.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 5:56:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Kankakee is quite a trip for GreenDragon.  I’m not sure of what’s around there but maybe somewhere like Pontiac or Dwight would be worth thinking about.  That would be a bit more central to everyone.   Or maybe Dragon has no objections to Kankakee.  I’m just throwing out ideas.  This week I’ll call a few high schools in that area and see if they’d be agreeable to us using their track on that Sunday.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 6:01:26 PM EDT
[#49]
I keep forgetting Dragon is farther west, sorry about that. I just threw out Kankakee because it's halfway between where I've met him and you previously.

I'm totally open on location.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 6:37:01 PM EDT
[#50]
What about somewhere in BloNo?
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top