Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 10:38:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone second Waterfall Glen?

Regardless of location Sunday is better for me, but I could make Saturday work if that what the majority wants.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 6:30:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Sunday would work better for me as well, but can do Saturday also.

Lemont Parking lot to Cass Ave parking lot is 3 miles, so and out and back will get us the distance.

I would suggest the Range at 355 after, but I'm leery of leaving those items in the car while out hiking. I've had a vehicle broken into at WFG Cass parking lot while marathon training. I guess everything could go into the pack for weight...
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 6:34:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Sunday should work.  What time?
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 6:55:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I was going to say we should probably not talk about range time on the open forum here.   That's an invite for problems.   We should come up with a way to plan those events offline from here.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 7:06:16 PM EDT
[#5]
So, we’re on for Sunday at WFG. Let’s see if Baron or anyone else farther away is coming up and let them comment timing if they are. Everyone else is thus far has a pretty short drive.

Shooting, curious why you say that, Slarti. This is a gun forum and one of the provisions for moving up in this organization is qualifying with a gun. Guns would seem to be part of this whole thing from the outset. Hell, guys are hiking with actual rifles in some states. Getting all secret squirrel about that aspect would be more suspicious that just being upfront about it, IMO.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 7:15:06 PM EDT
[#6]
If you want secure comms we could either suggest arfcom create a hidden forum for battle buddies like the .mil, leo, and lifers have, or we could do a closed group on facebook or a closed group on discord.

I'm with redbird, though. We are on an icky gun forum, gun talk kind of goes part and parcel with it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 7:15:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I’m considering heading up on Sunday.  My wife might be coming along, too.  She’s a cool chick and acts like one of the boys.  I just have to see how the week goes.  I’m not too picky about the time so just plan on whatever works for everyone else.  
As far as the shooting OPSEC goes I’m inclined to agree with Redbirdxx.  I don’t see the harm in keeping it out in the open.  It might be a good idea to require a new member that isn’t vouched for to do at least one hike with the group before they can attend a group shoot.  Something along those lines.

ETA:  I don’t want for it to seem like we’re shutting down Slarti’s idea, though.  I’d be interested in hearing his thoughts.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 7:44:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

ETA:  I don’t want for it to seem like we’re shutting down Slarti’s idea, though.  I’d be interested in hearing his thoughts.
View Quote
+1, absolutely. Total want to have the discussion and hear reasoning.

Edited to add- how’s 9-10 work for everyone?
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 8:06:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Shooting, curious why you say that, Slarti. This is a gun forum and one of the provisions for moving up in this organization is qualifying with a gun. Guns would seem to be part of this whole thing from the outset. Hell, guys are hiking with actual rifles in some states. Getting all secret squirrel about that aspect would be more suspicious that just being upfront about it, IMO.
View Quote
Because we're announcing that there's will be firearms in an unattended vehicle for a known amount of time.   It's an open forum and anyone can access it.  It's just opsec.  I meant to broach this before and just didn't get around to it.

It's one thing for us to plan a shooting outting or training when were going straight there....it's entirely a different matter when we plan to do a hike, will have cars sitting for a while with firearms, and then go shooting somewhere and announce that on an open forum.   Just because it's a gun forum doesn't mean that there aren't some people with I'll intent.....people Rob banks because that's where the money is...??

Just my thoughts
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 8:11:52 PM EDT
[#10]
That makes perfect sense and you are correct.

I thought you were referring to shooting activities in general, that was the disconnect.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 8:20:09 PM EDT
[#11]
My wife and I will join you guys Sunday.

We can plan to be there at 930 give or take a few for traffic.

She won't have a pack, and she's not sure how much hiking she can actually do. She needs computer access that day.

Is there a path that we can take that will drop us off at the parking lot at 3 miles like at allerton? That way, she can peel off to get to her computer while we go on.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 8:37:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Awesome that you guys are coming up. Shall we plan on a 9:30-ish arrival, on the trail by 10?

Not sure about a loop, that might be difficult there. The whole thing is basically a big 9+ mile loop. Maybe we can stage a car with the laptop at the Cass parking lot where Birddog suggested we turn around?
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 8:47:38 PM EDT
[#13]
That sounds good. It shouldn't take me as long to get ready this time, I'll have a belt that fits.

Dropping our car off at the other lot sounds like a plan.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 11:07:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Because we're announcing that there's will be firearms in an unattended vehicle for a known amount of time.   It's an open forum and anyone can access it.  It's just opsec.  I meant to broach this before and just didn't get around to it.

It's one thing for us to plan a shooting outting or training when were going straight there....it's entirely a different matter when we plan to do a hike, will have cars sitting for a while with firearms, and then go shooting somewhere and announce that on an open forum.   Just because it's a gun forum doesn't mean that there aren't some people with I'll intent.....people Rob banks because that's where the money is...??

Just my thoughts
View Quote
Concur. And like I said, I've had my vehicle broken into at the Cass Ave lot once. All of these hiking areas would be easy pickings, not just WFG.

If everyone is on facebook I could create a private group or we can fire up a discord group like we use for Cola Warrior and 24/365.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 11:12:54 PM EDT
[#15]
And for those unfamiliar, yes Waterfall Glen is a 9.5 miles loop. There are 3 parking lots, Cass Ave (the main one), Lemont Road, and Bluff Rd. Roughly 3 miles between each. There are hills. The biggest hill (Bertha, yes it has a name) is between Lemont and Bluff Rd. The section with the least amount of hills is Lemont to Cass, but it ain't flat.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 11:18:43 PM EDT
[#16]
See you lads ~9:45 on Sunday.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 11:28:56 PM EDT
[#17]
So, meet at the Lemont lot Sunday AM, ready to hike at 10:00. I’ll plan on being there right around 9:30 to assist with staging a vehicle at the Cass lot for Mrs. GreenDragon.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:46:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, I hiked 3 miles today with a full pack and blistered my  R heel.  I'm gonna see if I can heal up in time for Sunday.... ;)
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 11:40:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Damn, dude, heal up. Maybe it’s time to consider a footwear upgrade? Really hope you can make it Sunday, we missed you last weekend.

I haven’t had any issues with “regular” blisters but ended up with a big blood blister on the end of my big toe last weekend and my second toe was numb until yesterday. Some of you who were there might recall me stopping to fix my sock...there was nothing wrong with my sock, in retrospect it was apparently just a nerve in my foot going little haywire. I ordered some fancy new boots and hopefully they’ll be broken in by Sunday. I’m learning feet are important in this endeavor. I spend a lot of time on my feet (I’ve averaged <10k steps/day for the last 2 years), but that six miles non-stop loaded up is a whole new game when it come to foot abuse.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 12:00:21 AM EDT
[#20]
I hope that you mend up quickly.

I picked up a good sized blister before our hike last week. I had been testing different socks and breaking in boots.

Fortunately, I was able to save the blistered skin until after the hike. It helped protect the fresher skin. As soon as I got home, I cut it off.

For anything over 3 miles, I've been using liner socks. I can tell that they saved me some grief a couple of times.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 12:06:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Yea, I ordered some 2nd skin.  I have Lukotape.  I also order some of the anti blister socks in the other battle buddy thread.

AS for new boots.  I have a new pair of crispi's.  Broke the bank, but have been great all winter out huning and hiking.  It's just the extra 45 lbs and my Fat Arse that are the problem.  Don't know what was different about this 3 miles because it's the same place that I did the 6 miles....

We'll see.  Funny thing is it's like there's dead skin, but no liquid....
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 7:42:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Check out what Ben has been up to. https://americanpioneercorps.org/
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 8:06:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Awesome, @alphajaguars.  Thanks for the update.  I've been eagerly awaiting the site going live.  I'll have to check that it out at lunch break today.

Sunday is looking good for me and the wife.  We'll be there.  She's gonna wear a pack and try to meet the 6 mile/45# standard.  We're looking forward to it.  I hope your foot heals up, Slarti.  I'm having some weird foot trouble, too.  I'm fighting what seems to be a combination of athlete's foot and dry, cracked skin between two of my toes.  It was pretty bad at the beginning of the week but it's on the mend now.  I shouldn't effect my hiking.  Stupid feet.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 10:05:14 AM EDT
[#24]
For anyone wanting a 3 mile option, I'll be meeting GreenDragon at the Cass lot at ~9:30 to stage a car. Anyone wanting a bailout point is welcome to meet us there and hitch a ride over to the Lemont lot. If you end up doing the whole six we can just ferry you back to Cass when we're done.

This is offer is open to anyone. You guys or gals wanting to jump in and get their provisional don't need to be put off by going the full six first time out. I'll even throw some 10lbs. weights in the car in case anyone wants to do 35lbs. out (provisional) and then is feeling motivated enough to take 45lbs. back to count toward their 18 total.

Or show up and do all or part of it unloaded...you have options, just come on out. [img]/images/smilies/icon_smile_big.gif[/

Edited because I’m an idiot.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Awesome, @alphajaguars.  Thanks for the update.  I've been eagerly awaiting the site going live.  I'll have to check that it out at lunch break today.

Sunday is looking good for me and the wife.  We'll be there.  She's gonna wear a pack and try to meet the 6 mile/45# standard.  We're looking forward to it.  I hope your foot heals up, Slarti.  I'm having some weird foot trouble, too.  I'm fighting what seems to be a combination of athlete's foot and dry, cracked skin between two of my toes.  It was pretty bad at the beginning of the week but it's on the mend now.  I shouldn't effect my hiking.  Stupid feet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Need to get this spread far and wide.

RE: Feet. I used to make my living walking with heavy stuff. 20 years of not doing it as made my feet very soft.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 2:26:26 PM EDT
[#26]
My daughter will be home from school this weekend and may join us again. This is looking to be our best turnout yet, nine by my count if Slarti heals up and my kid comes along.

Anyone out there want to push us into double digits?
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 10:14:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

RE: Feet. I used to make my living walking with heavy stuff. 20 years of not doing it as made my feet very soft.
View Quote
Being fat doesn't help, AJ. Stop being fat!
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 7:02:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Just got done setting up the daughter with a spare backpack I had here. She's taking 45lbs. and aiming for six miles.

I'm either going to end up being a very proud dad or carrying some extra weight by the time we're done.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 7:13:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Sand is your friend.   I have extra and one extra sand bag I could bring.  Let me know.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 7:56:55 PM EDT
[#30]
I appreciate the offer and I was thinking about picking up some sand for exactly that reason. Then I realized she'll be much less likely to shed the weight if she knows someone else (me) will have to carry it.

She was informed that she'll have opportunity to adjust or drop the weight at 3 miles, which I think played into her decision to take 45 and try for 6.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 12:17:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Just got done setting up the daughter with a spare backpack I had here. She's taking 45lbs. and aiming for six miles.

I'm either going to end up being a very proud dad or carrying some extra weight by the time we're done.
View Quote
Good deal.  That’s the same plan my wife has.  She’s done some real backpacking in the past but it’s been a few years and I think the weight and pace will be more than she’s accustomed to.  But these girls (Ms. Redbird, Mrs. Greendragon, Mrs. RadBaron) have the right spirit.  It’s great that they want to be involved and are motivated to meet the standard.  That’s more than any of my buddies around here can muster.  I’m becoming less and less tolerant of the overwhelming complacency that’s taken hold of nearly everyone.  
You guys and gals are inspirational.  
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 1:09:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Have a great day today to everyone hitting the trail today. I'll be hitting the gym treadmill today and tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 1:53:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Have a great day today to everyone hitting the trail today. I'll be hitting the gym treadmill today and tomorrow.
View Quote
Keep at it, man, we’ll be back south soon enough.

Baron, total agree on the women getting involved with this. It’s one thing to get out and do this as a reasonably fit adult male, but going for it despite supposed disadvantages is awesome. Whether they make the full six miles or not, they’re out there attemptimg something that grown ass men in the GD thread are saying is too difficult. If we get a couple/few women to 3rd class the shit talking is going to go up a notch ;)
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 8:14:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Sorry gents, I'm gonna have to cancel.  Injured a little running earlier this week and need to heal up.

Have fun, the weather is going to be great.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 9:40:27 AM EDT
[#35]
We'll miss u dude....heal up and we'll see u at the next event.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 3:04:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You motherforklifter!!!!!

Link Posted: 3/1/2020 4:51:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Great job to all who hiked today and some that traveled great distances to be with us.....

Special props go to Miss Redbirdxx and Mrs TheRadBaron who both did 6 Mile with 45lbs of weight.   They both hauled around a much greater percentage of their body weight than us guys did,
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 5:07:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Great day today, and yes, huge props to the ladies. Very proud of my kid for pushing through today, though she is paying for it now.

I posted some pics in the GD thread, will get the rest of what I have up in a bit.

Attachment Attached File

Part of the group had more distance in less time due to us splitting up, someone else will have to supply the data for that.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 6:06:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 6:07:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Great day today, and yes, huge props to the ladies. Very proud of my kid for pushing through today, though she is paying for it now.

I posted some pics in the GD thread, will get the rest of what I have up in a bit.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/461668/Screenshot_20200301-142930_Connect_jpg-1297886.JPG

Part of the group had more distance in less time due to us splitting up, someone else will have to supply the data for that.
View Quote
Great job everyone, especially the ladies in the group. You all rock!
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 6:35:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Hey all,
Here is what I'll post up in the main BB thread....

Illinois Battle Boys 3rd Class Qual 3rd 6 mile hike
Date: 3/1/20
Hike location: Waterfall Glen Darien   Il.
Distance: 6.28 mile hike 3:
Time: 1:59.38

Redbirdxx and TheRadBaron 45 lbs.  This meets the 3rd class qual for both Redbirdxx and TheRadBaron.  @Ben, what are next steps to get that documented and official?

The following completed their 2nd 6 mile hike:  SleepingBirdDog, GreenDragon and Slarti

Miss Redbirdxx and Mrs TheRadBaron both completed 6 miles as well.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 6:51:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Also, here is the data that I have so far.  I'm trying to formalize this so once we actually start trackign this as part of the ABB APC offical web site, we have the data.  Please review and make sure that this is correct and I have all participants and accomplishments correctly tracked.

Link Posted: 3/1/2020 6:52:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Hey all,
Here is what I'll post up in the main BB thread....

Illinois Battle Boys 3rd Class Qual 3rd 6 mile hike
Date: 3/1/20
Hike location: Waterfall Glen Darien   Il.
Distance: 6.28 mile hike 3:
Time: 1:59.38

Redbirdxx and TheRadBaron 45 lbs.  This meets the 3rd class qual for both Redbirdxx and TheRadBaron.  @Ben, what are next steps to get that documented and official?

The following completed their 2nd 6 mile hike:  SleepingBirdDog, GreenDragon and Slarti

Miss Redbirdxx and Mrs TheRadBaron both completed 6 miles as well.
View Quote
You can track locally the dates, places, distances, people and times. It is useful to put them on the forum for reference. The idea is that each BBG is largely independent, and should be capable of verifying a persons claimed rating if they want to attend training or other events requiring a certain rating.

@rat_6 has the citation we read off at this last hike when we recognized folks who have achieved a new rating.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Thanks Ben,
So then we track this all locally, and don't need to necessarily report this up to the actual American Pioneer Corps web site?  Would we also track, give out the hats/citations and such?
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 7:42:45 PM EDT
[#45]
@Slarti, data looks good to me with one comment/suggestion- if there’s a third 6 mile hike completed by anyone, it should be recorded as such, as it will meet a requirement for 1st class somewhere down the road.

If I understand the criteria correctly, Baron and I will require another 3 mile hike (along with other listed requirements) to qualify for 1st, but we’ve completed the necessary three six mile hikes.

edit, went over the rules again and saw an additional 3 miler is required for 2nd class. So the total for 1st class will be 27 miles with at least three sixes in there, not the 24 I implied above.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 8:21:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Double check 300Blackout_Drunk's 2/22 walk. He did 6 miles with us. I dont remember his pack weight.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 8:29:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Yea, I gotta work with it so that it's more adapted to a standardized format for all the different qualifications....

On another note, based on Ben's comments it seems that we basically are doing our own qual/promotions, so I guess we need to talk about getting some hats and pins..... ;)
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 8:33:04 PM EDT
[#48]
@300Blackout_Drunk,
Can you look at the spreadsheet and confirm the numbers that I have for you?

Thx

Slarti
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 8:36:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Ben added a link to the caps and pins in the GD APC thread, link to caps below-

link to cap

edit, damn iPad and no hotlinking, sorry. Also, GreenDragon is correct, 300Blackout did 6 with a full load at Allerton.

edit -link made hot
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 8:48:51 PM EDT
[#50]
What pins represent 2nd class and 1st class?
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top