Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 3:26:26 PM EDT
[#1]
hey garbageman, welcome.

We will absolutely be doing more hikes in the future. We probably should plan for one next weekend. So I'll row this out. Any ideas on where we want to go for this coming weekend?  I'm still working my way up to six so I'd be up for 4 someplace...
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 5:22:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I would very likely be up for a hike on Saturday.  I have plans on Sunday next weekend.  I know I'm the downstate odd man out but I'm willing to do some driving to get wherever.  Matthiessen worked worked great for me the other week but I could go farther north, too.  We'd be talking the 6-mile, 45# standard condition hike this time, correct?

ETA:  Just saw the 4-mile comment.  That's cool, too.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 5:36:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm in for Saturday. I'd also be up for trying 6, even if it doesn't "count". Which I think brings up a good discussion point moving forward...as we (hopefully) pick up more guys moving forward, we're going to run into differing levels of conditioning more and more. Would it be worth discussing long and short courses for each meeting/hike? Or perhaps the weight should be worked up to rather than the distance so we can all stay together as a unit? Just some stuff to consider as we progress.

Regardless, I'm in for whatever, wherever on Saturday.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 5:40:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hey SBD....if you want I'm more than open to going over how I built my IFAKs.  I've got 3, one bought and two made.  I can go over composition as well as sourcing for the supplies.
View Quote
Sounds good. We can talk about that next weekend.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 5:41:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Saturday works for me as well. Sunday is booked already.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 5:46:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm in for Saturday. I'd also be up for trying 6, even if it doesn't "count". Which I think brings up a good discussion point moving forward...as we (hopefully) pick up more guys moving forward, we're going to run into differing levels of conditioning more and more. Would it be worth discussing long and short courses for each meeting/hike? Or perhaps the weight should be worked up to rather than the distance so we can all stay together as a unit? Just some stuff to consider as we progress.

Regardless, I'm in for whatever, wherever on Saturday.
View Quote
I was thinking something similar.  I'd like to go for a sixer on Saturday and if we had three guys to try it we might be able to all check a box.  But I'll be happy just to be hiking either way.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 8:34:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm in for Saturday so I think we have 4 so far
Slarti
Redbirdxx
RadBaron.
SleepingBirdDog

I'm up for trying to get 6 but not sure I'll make it with 45 pounds yet, but if we have 4 people and I start to drag the average down, then you guys can just drop me and keep going.  Would be a good chance to use the radios RedBirdxx

I agree that we will have all different levels as we move forward and would suggest that folks that reach all 3 6 mile hikes become leads for the new folks on the hikes  and basically start the cycle over with the new folks.

This is going to become a regular part of my physical fitness regiment just like riding the bike so I'm in for the long haul.

We had initially discussed doing the first 6 miler at SBP, but that is a long haul for RadBaron.....

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:04:32 PM EDT
[#8]
What's SBP and where is it located?  I don't mind driving a few hours.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:09:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Springbrook Prairie in south Naperville. Groomed limestone trails, pretty friendly environment if we want to try for our first 6 miler.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:16:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm up for a drive to Naperville.  Sounds like a good plan.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:30:57 PM EDT
[#11]
If you’re willing to make the drive, that should settle it. That’s very local for Slarti and I and probably not more than 20 minutes or so for Bird Dog.

Time?
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:34:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I’d prefer no earlier than 9:00 due to the 2.5 hour drive for me.  I propose 9 or 10 or so.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:38:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Fine by me, I’m good with whenever you and the other guys want to meet.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:47:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm good with 10.  SBD, can you do 10:00?

RadBaron, lunch on Sunday for you is on me... ;)

On another note, Beasley sent in his registration for the buddy aid class...so we got another one going....
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:58:10 PM EDT
[#15]
10 is fine.

I'll leave the dog behind, 6 miles is too much for him with his arthritis.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:05:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Awesome, we have a plan.

Now, anyone else? Even is some of us try for six miles, it will not be required. You could do three or cut down or even eliminate the weight for this outing. Just show up, say hi and do what you can do. I’d hate to think anyone is taking a pass because six out of the gates is too much. Step one is showing up
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:20:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Yea, seriously, we will have people at different levels, some people may be on their 3 rd 6 mile hike and others can be on their 1st....

and if someone comes and needs to slow down, I will probably be more than willing to do that as well.  The point here is to get out, exercise, and meet up with folks.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 2:01:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I couldn't make the 1st aid class in April, but I'm signed up for 3/21.

Are there any particulars about Bridgeview and the surrounding area that should be known?
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 6:46:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I don’t know much about Bridgeview, but congrats on getting signed up. Now come hike with us.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 8:48:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Greendragon,
Where you coming from?

EDIT: It says the class is sponsored by the Bridgiview PD, so I assume it's there.  You'll have no issues and quick access of off 55 or maybe 294.  Looks like it's close to 79ths st.  I know you can get off 294 at 95ths st and then likely head north or if you're coming off of 55 I think you can actually exit at 79th.  Either way, as I remember it, the neighborhood is not spicy.

But who know's things change over time.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:25:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm coming from Spfld area. I assume that class will start early, so I'll probably come up the night before. Are any of the communities in that area better than the others to stay in as far as being gun friendly?
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:27:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Bridgeview is fine.

But then again, I work solo on the west and south sides as well as Gary, IN. So maybe my POV is skewed.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:35:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Redbirdxx, I've  been checking out this thread for progress. You guys are moving along great.

I've been practicing here at home, but I haven't been able to get to an actual hike.

Saturday sounds like good hiking weather, 37* here. Unfortunately,  I'm working in the morning. Gunshow  after that, so it's still a good day.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:40:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I assumed you were a little more local with you going to the Bridgeview class.

Still, if and when you need a couple guys to hike with, let us know. If you can’t find some guys more local to you maybe we can set something up in between. Radbaron is probably closer to you than us and we’re gonna owe him a trip south sooner or later with all the driving he’s doing.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:43:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I assumed you were a little more local with you going to the Bridgeview class.

Still, if and when you need a couple guys to hike with, let us know. If you can’t find some guys more local to you maybe we can set something up in between. Radbaron is probably closer to you than us and we’re gonna owe him a trip south sooner or later with all the driving he’s doing.
View Quote
Agreed.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:56:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Hey GreenDragon,
If you're coming up Friday, depending on when you'd get here I (or we if anyone else wants to) can either hike and then go to dinner or just maybe meet up with  you someplace for dinner...
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 11:33:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Can I get a recap on the Saturday plan?

naperville is close and 6 miles should be doable for me.  Also just got my plate carrier today.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 11:36:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Hi neighbor
View Quote
@garbageman

hola brother
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 11:39:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

naperville is close and 6 miles should be doable for me.  Also just got my plate carrier today.  
View Quote
We'll be meeting at the west parking lot off of Naperville Plainfield road at the Springbrook Prairie trail at 10:00 AM Saturday 2/15.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 11:54:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
We'll be meeting at the west parking lot off of Naperville Plainfield road at the Springbrook Prairie trail at 10:00 AM Saturday 2/15.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it.  See you there.  I'll PM you my phone number.

eta:  I'll be driving a drop dead gorgeous grey 2012 Toyota Camry.  Try to conceal your envy upon my arrival.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 12:00:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Yep.  In order to achieve the Provisional rating you'd need to have a bag that weighs at least 35# and make a 3 mile hike in no more than 1 hour.  Slarti, Redbirdxx, SleepingBirdDog, and I checked that box at the last hike and you'd be able to do that on Saturday since they'll be more than three of us.  Or maybe you just want to hike and you're not too worried about ratings, and that's cool, too.  
The next step is a 6 mile hike with a 45# pack, in no more that 2 hours.  I'm hoping to be able to try that on Saturday.  If we have three people that do it it can be official but I'm not emotionally invested in the idea.  If it doesn't end up working out I'll still be happy just to get out and hike with my new buddies.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 12:03:03 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm just going for 6 with the new carrier/plates. Weight will probably be a total of 20 lbs...
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 12:05:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Good deal.  Glad that you'll be able to make it.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 12:37:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Slarti, that sounds good. When time gets closer we'll have to work out details.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:28:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Well, looking at the weather, tomorrow should be fun.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:42:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Compared to today, tomorrow looks beautiful.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#37]
First six mile hike loaded, done.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Awesome work, guys, looking forward to the next one. Sorta
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 6:30:58 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm not gonna lie...I'm sore already (and I was only packing 20lbs.)

I had a great time, nice to meet everyone.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 6:59:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Great job, guys!
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 7:08:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm not gonna lie...I'm sore already (and I was only packing 20lbs.)

I had a great time, nice to meet everyone.
View Quote
I’m not feeling too bad and my shoulders have pretty much recovered, but the rather ambitious plan I had this morning of getting in a workout this afternoon disappeared around mile 3, never to be seen again.

Good meeting you, too. Keep an eye out here, Slarti does regular hikes there and I join him when I can. With three of us there you could knock out your provisional (3 Miles, 35lbs.) sooner than later.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 7:12:59 PM EDT
[#41]
I would not have gotten that done without y'alls company. Thanks!

I'm a little tired after that.

Great job everyone!
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 7:13:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Great job, guys!
View Quote
Thanks, AJ!
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 7:50:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
I wouldn’t have even tried it without the company, so yes, thanks to all for showing up.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 10:01:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'm a little tired after that.

Great job everyone!
View Quote
Ditto on both counts.

Great job all.
Mile 3 I was wondering if I'd make it, but we keep a really good pace in spite of the snow on the ground that made it hard slogging....
BSSRF4, Great to meet you dude.  Looking forward to seeing you more as the adventure continues.

Thanks everyone for dragging my tail around the path.  I feel amazingly well after getting home and
1. Taking ibuprophen
2. stretching
3. eating
4. more hot chocolate.
5. Time on Foam Roller....

Getting old is so much fun.....

I'l push the numbers up to Ben.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 10:11:19 PM EDT
[#45]
And special shoutout to TheRadBaron who came all the way from Champaign area to hike with us.

Thanks dude.  It's always great having you here with us.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 10:26:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
And special shoutout to TheRadBaron who came all the way from Champaign area to hike with us.

Thanks dude.  It's always great having you here with us.
View Quote
For sure.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 11:05:54 PM EDT
[#47]
I just talked a little smack in the GD thread, hope you guys don’t mind. ;)
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:38:45 AM EDT
[#48]
So I pm'ed Ben with the updates and he asked me to put it up in the main thread....(which I just did).

While doing that I reread the quals and maybe I missed it, but to complete 3rd class, we have to complete 2 hikes.  I thought it was one hike for 3rd, one for second, one for first for a total of 18 miles...but that's not what's currently up there.  I'm copying them here with the date so we have a tracking marker.

Qual requirements as of 2/16/20:
b.Provisional.
1.In order to achieve a Provisional rating, a prospective member must complete one hike, 3 miles in length, with at least two other persons unrelated to them as witnesses. The prospective member must complete the hike in under an hour while carrying 25lbs (excluding water weight) in a pack, and a long gun. The prospective member may choose to omit the long gun and instead add an additional 10lbs dry weight to their pack.

c.3rd Class
1.In order to achieve a 3rd Class rating, a Provisional member must;
-Within 90 days of their first hike, complete at least two additional hikes, each covering a minimum of 6 miles while maintaining an average pace of no less than 3mph (including any rest time),
-Have completed cumulatively 18 miles of qualifying hike distance, not including any hikes of a distance less than 3 miles, and
-Complete the above 3rd Class requirements while carrying a minimum 35lbs pack (dry weight, excluding water) and long gun, or 45lbs pack without long gun (Standard Hike Conditions).

d.2nd Class
1.A candidate for 2nd Class must complete one of the following;
a.Complete a Navy Physical Fitness Test based upon the male standard (regardless of the candidate gender) for their age group with a minimum score of “Satisfactory” in each event (or Army or Marine Corps PFT equivalent) or,
b.Complete a NRA or CMP Service Rifle Match (whether firing “in” or “out” of competition due to equipment restrictions) with a minimum score of 70%.
2.The candidate must also complete at least one additional hike of no less than 3 miles, with the same weight and pace requirements above listed as standard hike conditions.

e.1st Class
1.Candidates for 1st Class must complete the second option from the 2nd Class qualification ([a] or [b], whichever was not selected for their 2nd Class qualification), and complete at least one additional hike of 6 miles or more under standard hike conditions.

So it looks like we need the following:
1 more additional 6 mile hike.  Will bring our cumulative total to 15 (3 mile prov and 2 6 mile hikes)
1 more additional 3 mile hike to get us to 18 miles total.

Good news is we have 90 days from first hike which was 2/2

ALSO: I AM IN PAIN......
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:49:09 AM EDT
[#49]
I'd suggest planning on the next hike being a 6 miler and if it goes sideways we could cut it to 3 miles and still have it count towards the 18 total.

The question is where. The snow did add a level of difficulty yesterday.

I feel pretty good surprisingly. Gonna take the doggo out for a run here in a little bit.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:47:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I just talked a little smack in the GD thread, hope you guys don’t mind. ;)
View Quote
I thought it was appropriate....and I added some on top of it......
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top