Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 4:20:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I picked up a molly II frame and straps to use for Hunting.  Would work for this as well.  For now I have another pack with a waist belt that I'll be using.

Redbird....I'm thinking we can do SBP tomorrow and then Wed or Thurs do Green Valley or WFG (Argonne) if that will pull in anyone else....anyone else interested in hiking sometime this week?  And if everyone is just going to push for the weekend hike, that's ok as well.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 4:23:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure how used to the winter trails you all are, but expect ice. Yaktraxs or something similar would probably be a wise investment. Wouldn't want to break your coccyx slipping and falling on some ice.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 4:30:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Slarti, Thursday this week works for me at whatever location you or whoever else we can pull in decide on. I'm trying to roll this into an existing exercise regimen and Mon-Wed are "spoken for", so to speak.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 6:04:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey Redbird,
I'm good with that.  We can firm up the time as the week gets on.  I'll still hike at SpringBrook Prarie on either Monday or Tuesday.  Anyone else interested?

SleepingBirdDog, that's a good Idea.  I have some I'll bring, but I'll be interested to see what's out there.  I've been out and about in lots of the hunting areas all season long adn due to the mild winter, there really hasn't been anything to speak of....with all the wet and cold over the last few days though, that may have changed.  We'll see.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 6:16:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm one of the Illinois guys that was in Richmond with @300Blackout_drunk.  @Bishop3, you were in my squad, right?  I'm glad you posted up.  I've been trying to track down the guys I met just to say hey and take notes for posterity.  I'd be interested to know who gave you the swag since they were also from IL.

To say that I was impressed with and highly motivated by the Virginia Battle Buddies would be an understatement.  I'd love to see a chapter form up in Illinois and I'd be willing to drive some hours for hikes to make it happen.  Southern Illinois would have the best terrain but I'm sure there's good hiking just about anywhere.  I'm out in the country a little bit west of Champaign so I know that I'm in @w9trb 's neck of the woods.  I'm a sometimes backpacker already and I enjoy training with gear on in order to get acclimated to wearing it.  Not being able to carry long guns will make it a bit less fun but it would still be cool.

I think there's talk of a southern Indiana group starting up, too.  That might be an option for some folks and long guns might theoretically be possible since open carry is legal in Indiana.  At least with pistols.  Not sure about long guns.

But I'm in.
View Quote
@TheRadBaron
Yes was in your squad but not sure of the Illonoian who gave me the swag that morning. Posted here to say thanks.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Once it warms up a tad we can shoot and kayak/fish here at my club. $5 per person with sponsor(me) after May.  Prior to May there is no one at the gate to collect. Also places to hike; not crazy terrain but wooded and secluded.  Shooting range is down on the bottom right of the pic.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

@Muels
@bssrf4

Using the @ before a members name sends them a notification.

We should try for a hike followed by some shooting!

I'm an ISRA member and so is bssrf4 and a couple other ARF guys as well.

There is also the range in Ottawa (can't think of it now!)......its $30 a day per person though.....
View Quote
For sure.  Introducing folks to the ISRA range is great.  Its a very nice place.  Plus...everyone here should at least be an ISRA member.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 7:47:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, I’ve been a piece of shit. I need to do better at supporting memberships.  Gonna make that a priority this year.

Spending all my money on guns, ammo and gear does me no good if my commie ass state restricts them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 8:58:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey I also want to throw this out, it is likely that we will all be at varying levels of fitness so I would recommend that the following are our goals for this first official ruck (the one that Redbird and I did wouldn't count as there were only two of us).

1. Just to meet and introduce ourselves to get the ball rolling.
2. Bring a pack with at least 35 lbs in it and do 3 miles in under an hour to get the provisional rating/qual.
3. Anyone not up to that bring a lighter pack or no pack at all, but still come and do the hike.
4. Make sure we record the effort.  Redbird has a watch.  I have a garmin cycling computer, whoever else wants to bring whatever recording device you want, but let's make sure if we put in the effort we have the evidence.
5. Meet afterwards and debrief...
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:21:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Right on, guys.  This is a solid plan. I'm stoked about this.  Special thanks to Slarti and Redbirdxx for really taking the ball and running with it.  I've been pretty busy this weekend so I haven't been able to contribute a whole lot.  I'll be there on 2/2, ready to hike.
I can bring along a bathroom scale to verify pack weights.  It seems like a good idea just to keep everything official.  Or am I overthinking this?
I also have an assortment of internal frame packs that I can bring along if anyone needs to borrow a pack or maybe just wants to try a different type of pack out.  I have a big USMC issue ILBE pack that is built like a tank, plus a couple of civilian internal frame packs.  Hit me up if you need me to bring one along.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:34:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I’d be interested in checking out that ILBE if you do mind dragging it along. I was kinda eyeballing those online tonight, wouldn’t mind checking one out in person before dropping $100+. How about you bring that and I’ll bring the scale? I agree it’d be a good idea to keep everything nice and official.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:51:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I’d be interested in checking out that ILBE if you do mind dragging it along. I was kinda eyeballing those online tonight, wouldn’t mind checking one out in person before dropping $100+. How about you bring that and I’ll bring the scale? I agree it’d be a good idea to keep everything nice and official.
View Quote
Good deal.  I'll bring the ILBE along.  I like it a lot.  I've modified it a bit by cutting off some extraneous material to lighten it up a bit.  It's one hell of a pack but the downside is that it weighs something like 8 or 9 pounds empty IIRC.  I also replaced the hip belt with a Prairie Belt from Hill People Gear.  I used it for a hard week on the AT and it performed great.  I hear they suck to wear over armor which is why the Marines stopped using them.  I haven't tried it personally.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:56:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, armor will be part of the plan at some point so it’s sounding less promising. Toss it in the car if it’s not too much trouble, but from your input here it’s probably not what I was hoping it would be.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 10:11:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Will do.  Again, I haven't tried it out.  It might be doable.  My main pack is a Mystery Ranch 3DAP with their Bolstered Ventilation System (BVS) that helps it work well with armor.  I've been VERY happy with this pack.  The only downside is the $$$.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 10:34:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Mystery Ranch....
The biggest mystery is how you get the money to pay for it.....
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 10:38:46 PM EDT
[#16]
No kidding.  That pack cost more than some trucks I've driven over the years.  I was working a lot of OT at the time.  I generally don't like to work OT so if I have to do it I ease the pain by using the extra money to buy cool gear that I want.

ETA: I used to drive really junky trucks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 4:22:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Anyone else up for Sunday?

Slarti and I are also getting together in southern Dupage County Thursday afternoon. If we could get a third, that would be great. We’ll be going either way.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 5:01:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Current Count for Sunday is 3:
Redbirdxx
RadBaron
Slarti.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 6:45:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Put me down as a definite maybe.

I'll just have to get my butt up and out early for my morning run so I can drive out there and meet y'all.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:14:39 PM EDT
[#20]
@SleepingBirdDog

Would bumping the timing back a bit increase the odds of your attendance? I’m flexible on timing, perhaps Slarti and Rad are as well...?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Totally.  We can adjust the time if that helps, at least as far as I’m concerned.  I’d like to get as many folks out for the hike as possible.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:38:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Nah, don't change your times for me. It'll be alright. I've pretty much made up my mind to go.

Bigger thing for me would be: would anyone mind if I bring my dog? He's been my trail partner for a decade. He used to do all of my runs with me when I was marathoning, but now his arthritis is too bad for me to run any distance with him so we've been just walking 12-15 miles a week. A 3 mile walk should be fine for him and he's well behaved. He'd be fine hanging out in the van if we decide to hit a place to eat and drink afterwards. If anyone has any concerns I won't be offended and will leave him behind. He'll still get out, just either early before or after I'm back.

Pic of the scamp:
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:41:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Awesome, first time time out and we’ll have a mascot. Hell yeah, bring the pooch.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:45:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Sweet, now we got 4:
Current Count for Sunday is 3 4:
Redbirdxx
RadBaron
Slarti.
Sleeping Bird Dog

SBD, where you hail from?  It would not kill us to push back 1 hr if that helps.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:50:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Lockport. Should be about an hour and 15 (ish) for me to get there?

9 is fine, it's not like I'm meeting y'all at waterfall glen at 6am for a 20+ miler.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:01:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Cool.  Glad you can join us.  Bring the pooch.  I used to have a trail dog and although I don't any more I was just wondering today if we'd have any dogs along.  Battle Puppies?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:02:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Yea, I'm pretty close to you.  It's about 1:10 - 1:15 for me to get there.  I hunt there with some frequency.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:21:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Deer?

I'll bird hunt at Kanakakee around here, but deer and turkey we do in central IL.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:37:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Yea Deer,
I hunt deer locally on public land here in Northern Il.  Fun....
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:41:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Lockport, that’s not bad. Slarti and I aren’t that far from you. I’m basically at Rt. 53 and 75th, he’s just a bit west of me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:46:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Hey SBD, I just noticed the peep in your avatar.  Right on.  I'm a Cola bro, too.  Flyover Too last summer.  I need to put a peep on my avatar somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:51:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Hey SBD, I just noticed the peep in your avatar.  Right on.  I'm a Cola bro, too.  Flyover Too last summer.  I need to put a peep on my avatar somewhere.
View Quote

I did the first FO, timing was unfortunate for FO2 and I was in AZ at the time. Definitely will be at FO3 this year.

It is without a doubt the most expensive free event ever.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 9:30:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Baby boy blessed us on 1/26. 21.5" and 7lb 14oz.
Baby and Mrs Reaper are doing great.

Hopefully I'll catch up to you guys in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Congrats to you and the wife.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 12:47:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Congrats on the new addition. Hopefully you can make it out later in the year after you've made the necessary adjustments. For now, enjoy what sleep you can, LOL.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 3:00:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't frequent the hometown much, and just saw this thread.

I sent you a FB IM the other day in response to your Cola Clubhouse post.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 4:14:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I don't frequent the hometown much, and just saw this thread.

I sent you a FB IM the other day in response to your Cola Clubhouse post.
View Quote
Ok, cool.  I didn’t get it.  I bet it went into the message requests folder and I didn’t see it.  I’m still pretty new to using FB and I haven’t figured it all out yet.  I guess I need to start checking that.  
I’m glad you found this thread.  I’ll get in touch this evening after work.  I don’t have FB messenger on my phone.  Or shoot me an IM here on ARF.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 10:50:10 AM EDT
[#38]
@Bishop3

I just saw this thread. My buddies and I gathered the funds together for those gift cards and sent them East for the Virginia BB to distribute as a way to help out.

I’ve got some guys interested in doing some hiking as well. I’m tied up this weekend but look forward to putting something together down the line. I’m in Will county and know some guys in Lasalle as well.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 1:03:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
@Bishop3

I just saw this thread. My buddies and I gathered the funds together for those gift cards and sent them East for the Virginia BB to distribute as a way to help out.
View Quote
That's awesome and the kind of thing I'd like to be involved in even if I can't go march.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 1:17:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Right on.  Thanks for doing that, JPD.  I heard multiple people talking about the Illinois guy(s) handing out swag at the rally point on Monday morning.  It helped the Illinois crew represent and make our presence known.

The weather for Sunday looks nicer and nicer as the week goes on.  At least a few of us were gonna hike no matter how crummy the weather was but this will certainly make it more enjoyable.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 8:10:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Yea Deer,
View Quote
Went out on public land 3 times this year.  Didn't see a deer.  1st time I've ever deer hunted, so I'm sure that had an influence.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 9:21:24 PM EDT
[#42]
I would be interested in doing this. This Saturday I'm going to the range in Racine, I can bring one other person with me if someone cares to go. I plan to be there at 9:30 and shoot for 2-3 hours.

I would be interested in other outings. An obstacle course would be fun, the problem is finding a place to set it up .
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 9:51:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Went out on public land 3 times this year.  Didn't see a deer.  1st time I've ever deer hunted, so I'm sure that had an influence.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yea Deer,
bssrf4,
Yea, it's REALLY hard to hunt public land in Ill...but it can be done.
I've been hunting 3 years and have gotten better each year.
1st year.  Saw nothing.
2nd year.  Saw a few (drew on one but couldn't get the shot)
3rd Year (this year), saw a LOT of deer.  Saw them were I was expecting to see them, just not quite where I could get a shot.

If you're really interested in deer hunting (bow or shotgun), you should check into a Youtube channel called the Hunting Public.  These guys rock and are guys that you would just want to hang out with.  I've learned a ton from them (and from Nate7out who is my primary hunting partner).
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 9:55:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I would be interested in doing this. This Saturday I'm going to the range in Racine, I can bring one other person with me if someone cares to go. I plan to be there at 9:30 and shoot for 2-3 hours.

I would be interested in other outings. An obstacle course would be fun, the problem is finding a place to set it up .
View Quote
Obstacles, you say? Have you heard of Cola Warrior?

Link Posted: 1/29/2020 9:55:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
HandyAndy, good to see some of the old timers piping up.   We'd love to have you.  We'll post the hikes as them come up.  If you've read the thread, you know we have setup a series of 3 types of hikes:
1. weekday local where folks close together can hike if they want.
2. Weekend hikes which extend a little further out.
3. Monthly regional hikes.

This is still all pretty fluid so right now we're just hiking and spinning up to be able to meet the 3 and 6 mile quals, but we will definitely be looking at other things as well like Amateur Radio, medic courses and shooting among other things.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 10:00:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
@Bishop3

I’ve got some guys interested in doing some hiking as well. I’m tied up this weekend but look forward to putting something together down the line. I’m in Will county and know some guys in Lasalle as well.
View Quote
Hey JPD158
Where abouts in Will?  We could possibly meet up with you for one of the monthly hikes depending on where you're at.

Thanks for representing the Illinois boys like that.  Are you guys the ones that got mentioned I think as the Illinois River Valley boys or something like that?
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 10:09:39 PM EDT
[#47]
So I went out and did 6 miles at SBP tonight.  No weight as I pulled my back out the day Redbridxx and I were doing our first hike and I've been healing up in anticipation of Sunday's hike.
So it was hard ice with about 1/4-1/2 inch of snow (it was real slushy for day or two with fatbike tire tracks and lots of footprints, then it all froze).  Not real bad, not very slippery, but just enough that you were always waiting for something to happen.  
SleepingBirdDog mentioned having Yaktraxs.  I have something similar that I'm going to throw in the pack for Sunday's hike.  I hope we don't need them because they really wear on your feet if you go any distance with them, but they will save you from falling.  Just something to think about for Sunday's hike especially since we're shooting for getting the 3 miles completed in under an hour.

Looking forward to meeting those of you that can make it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:12:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Hey JPD158
Where abouts in Will?  We could possibly meet up with you for one of the monthly hikes depending on where you're at.

Thanks for representing the Illinois boys like that.  Are you guys the ones that got mentioned I think as the Illinois River Valley boys or something like that?
View Quote
Joliet, Plainfield, as far west as Seneca and as Far East as Beecher. That was us, Illinois River Valley Patriots. I wish we could have even sent more. I think the well executed rally really helped us all. I’m going to start work on planning a hike of some sort. All of this communication is great for the cause.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:38:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Joliet, Plainfield, as far west as Seneca and as Far East as Beecher. That was us, Illinois River Valley Patriots. I wish we could have even sent more. I think the well executed rally really helped us all. I’m going to start work on planning a hike of some sort. All of this communication is great for the cause.
View Quote
Sweet dude.

The more groups we get going the better.  Post up in here when you're hiking and I'll try and make one of your hikes or you're welcome to join us this Sunday if you want.  I agree the more folks we meet up with and network with the better we'll be.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:59:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The more groups we get going the better.  Post up in here when you're hiking and I'll try and make one of your hikes or you're welcome to join us this Sunday if you want.  I agree the more folks we meet up with and network with the better we'll be.
View Quote
+1, please let us know if you put anything together.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top