Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2017 11:35:43 PM EDT
posted over at illinoiscarry on 10/8 from Todd Vandermyde, NRA IL lobbyist.   We can't sit back on this one!   Bolding is mine.

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=66832&hl=

..."So much for a quiet summer and fall hunting season.
By now you have seen that HB-4107 has been introduced. This is a grab bag of gun control wishes. Mag ban, the broadest semi-auto ban, 50 cal ban, registration, bump stock ban and others.

Many are saying they are not concerned, that this is so broad and so big that it can’t pass. If you taker that attitude, you are seriously underestimating the political winds.

We not only face a hostile legislature, remember the anti-gunners are still butt hurt over concealed carry. We have a revolt within the republican party/House caucus that appears to be at war with the governor.

We may become collateral damage of that war and the prolonged budget debate & tax increase as several retiring legislators are extremely upset that their careers have been short circuited by a billionaire governor and his friends with threats of well financed primaries.

In the past we could count on the over reach of the anti-gunners to help defeat their bills. But inlight of Las Vegas, we can’t count on that.

We are already receiving reports that the Sponsors of HB-4107 and SB-1657 are both working the phones hard and trying to recruit votes. We are hearing they hope to bring both up in a couple of weeks during the veto session.

We have already seen 1 republican who is not running for re-election co-sponsor the new gun ban. That should tell you something.

One thing that I haven’t see reported recently is that at the time of the Vegas shooting, the gaming industry was holding their annual trade meeting. About a dozen legislators from Illinois where in Vegas at the time of the shooting. Willis the sponsor of SB-1657 is reported to have been one of them. No doubt these tales will be used to try and advance their latest gun ban.

State office are closed on Monday due to the holiday. Leave a message if you like. If Not, you need to start calling about these two bills and call every day. Have your friends call, your wives, kids, anyone.

I’ll be working on talking points and an analysis of the implications of this bill. But for now I can tell you I read it that the bump stock/ trigger language is so bad, you would not be able to have an action job done on a revolver. The semi-auto ban covers ANY semi-auto rifle with a detachable magazine, maybe minus .22LR."...
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:46:41 AM EDT
[#1]
An update from Todd 10/9 (and some good news) on HB4107 AWB

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=66833&hl=

..."Some good news.

The day after HB-4107 was introduced Republican Steve Andersson appeared as a co-sponsor. The retiring republicans name sent red flags up.

Rep Andersson just called me to let me know he did NOT authorize his name to be added tot he bill, he is NOT infavor of the bill and has NOT changed his position on the 2A issues.

He will be asking that his name be removed from the bill but since state government is closed today, it may not happen till tomorrow.

Todd"...
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 6:08:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Any new updates? Just interested but also tired of this stuff. Every time I think about scraping up some money for a project, build or buy, this stuff comes up. Gets irritating. 
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:05:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any new updates? Just interested but also tired of this stuff. Every time I think about scraping up some money for a project, build or buy, this stuff comes up. Gets irritating. 
View Quote
Nothing new today I am aware of.   Things will probably get extra  hot in a week or so as the fall ILGA session starts on the 24th.

Edit: There are some other bills (more AWBs, no CCL in church, etc)  filed that need to be watched.   Info about those and the fall veto session are at this link on illinoiscarry

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=66847&hl=
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 4:01:34 PM EDT
[#4]
and more introduced today

HB4112

bump stock ban or more depending on interpretation

http://ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=4112&GAID=14&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=108015&SessionID=91

Synopsis As Introduced

Amends the Criminal Code of 2012. Provides that it is a violation of the unlawful use of weapons statute to knowingly import, sell, manufacture, transfer, or possess, in this State, a trigger crank, a bump-fire device, or any part, combination of parts, component, device, attachment, or accessory that is designed or functions to accelerate the rate of fire of a semi-automatic rifle but does not convert the semi-automatic rifle into a machine gun. Provides that a person who violates this provision commits a Class 2 felony and shall be sentenced to a term of imprisonment of not less than 3 years and not more than 7 years, unless the trigger crank, bump-fire device, part, combination of parts, component, device, attachment, or accessory is attached to a semi-automatic rifle and possessed in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle, or on the person, while the rifle is loaded, in which case it shall be a Class X felony. Provides exemptions. Effective immediately.

http://ilga.gov/house/Rep.asp?MemberID=2429

Representative Scott Drury (D)
58th District

Springfield Office:
292-S Stratton Office Building
Springfield, IL   62706
(217) 782-0902
District Office:
425 Sheridan Rd.
Highwood, IL  60040
(847) 681-8580
Email: [email protected]

Years served: January 2013 - Present

Committee assignments: Cybersecurity, Data Analytics, & IT; Elem Sec Ed: Charter School Policy; Government Transparency; Judiciary - Civil; Personnel & Pensions; Commercial Law Subcommittee; Domestic Relations Law Subcommittee.

Biography: Attorney; B.A., Political Economy (high honors), University of California, Berkeley; J.D. (cum laude), Northwestern University School of Law; Assistant U.S. Attorney, U.S. Attorney's Office, Northern District of Illinois, 2003-2011; Adjunct Professor, Northwestern University School of Law; married, has two children.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 4:21:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Representative Chap LaVia removed her sponsorship from HB4107 Crim Cd Assault Weapons Ban today. ETA: She was apparently included in error.

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=66853&hl=
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:01:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Chap LaVia is anti-gun removing her name from this must mean something.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 11:46:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I think you will see HB4112 pass and HB4107 fail.

This will not be the last assault against firearm ownership by the Illinois Democrats.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
and more introduced today

HB4112

bump stock ban or more depending on interpretation

http://ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=4112&GAID=14&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=108015&SessionID=91

Synopsis As Introduced

Amends the Criminal Code of 2012. Provides that it is a violation of the unlawful use of weapons statute to knowingly import, sell, manufacture, transfer, or possess, in this State, a trigger crank, a bump-fire device, or any part, combination of parts, component, device, attachment, or accessory that is designed or functions to accelerate the rate of fire of a semi-automatic rifle but does not convert the semi-automatic rifle into a machine gun. Provides that a person who violates this provision commits a Class 2 felony and shall be sentenced to a term of imprisonment of not less than 3 years and not more than 7 years, unless the trigger crank, bump-fire device, part, combination of parts, component, device, attachment, or accessory is attached to a semi-automatic rifle and possessed in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle, or on the person, while the rifle is loaded, in which case it shall be a Class X felony. Provides exemptions. Effective immediately.

http://ilga.gov/house/Rep.asp?MemberID=2429

Representative Scott Drury (D)
58th District

Springfield Office:
292-S Stratton Office Building
Springfield, IL   62706
(217) 782-0902
District Office:
425 Sheridan Rd.
Highwood, IL  60040
(847) 681-8580
Email: [email protected]

Years served: January 2013 - Present

Committee assignments: Cybersecurity, Data Analytics, & IT; Elem Sec Ed: Charter School Policy; Government Transparency; Judiciary - Civil; Personnel & Pensions; Commercial Law Subcommittee; Domestic Relations Law Subcommittee.

Biography: Attorney; B.A., Political Economy (high honors), University of California, Berkeley; J.D. (cum laude), Northwestern University School of Law; Assistant U.S. Attorney, U.S. Attorney's Office, Northern District of Illinois, 2003-2011; Adjunct Professor, Northwestern University School of Law; married, has two children.
View Quote
None of those things really accelerate the rate of fire... You can max the rate of fire with your finger.  Based on the way it's worded, the buffer controls the rate of fire along with the weight of the bolt, and gas pressure.  So, are they going to mandate specific components, or a specific maximum rate of fire?

I'm so glad I left IL this year...
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 11:39:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

None of those things really accelerate the rate of fire... You can max the rate of fire with your finger.  Based on the way it's worded, the buffer controls the rate of fire along with the weight of the bolt, and gas pressure.  So, are they going to mandate specific components, or a specific maximum rate of fire?

I'm so glad I left IL this year...
View Quote
Wish I did 5 years ago when I had the chance. Actually looking at Indiana border towns just so I don’t have to change careers. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top