Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2017 9:14:21 PM EDT
My wife has a valid Missouri CCW but I know that doesn't matter in IL.  What are the laws pertaining to knives in the Oak Brooke area?  I'd like her to be able to carry something while she's there.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:52:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My wife has a valid Missouri CCW but I know that doesn't matter in IL.  What are the laws pertaining to knives in the Oak Brooke area?  I'd like her to be able to carry something while she's there.
View Quote

Each community can have its own local ordinances regulating knives usually under deadly weapons section  addressing things from automatics to blade length (often 3 inches) to carry/possession.

Oakbrook is surrounded by several places, but as best I can tell from just the OB municipal code search, I saw nothing there about knives.  Nearby Oak Brook Terrace has a switchblade ban. State law is a little more ambiguous but in general the prohibitions come in with an intent to do harm phrase.   It seems these are often throw on charges in the event you''re already in hot water for something else.

In general, I think she should  be ok.  I almost always have a pocket knife with a 3" blade and never had issues, nor has anyone else I know.   I just wouldnt go with a big bowie in a sheath

http://www.sterlingcodifiers.com/codebook/m_index.php?book_id=333

With  MO CCW, assuming that is home state, she would be allowed to conceal carry while in a vehicle.

IANAL
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:48:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Each community can have its own local ordinances regulating knives usually under deadly weapons section  addressing things from automatics to blade length (often 3 inches) to carry/possession.

Oakbrook is surrounded by several places, but as best I can tell from just the OB municipal code search, I saw nothing there about knives.  Nearby Oak Brook Terrace has a switchblade ban. State law is a little more ambiguous but in general the prohibitions come in with an intent to do harm phrase.   It seems these are often throw on charges in the event you''re already in hot water for something else.

In general, I think she should  be ok.  I almost always have a pocket knife with a 3" blade and never had issues, nor has anyone else I know.   I just wouldnt go with a big bowie in a sheath

With  MO CCW, assuming that is home state, she would be allowed to conceal carry while in a vehicle.

IANAL
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IANAL
While InterestedBystander is possibly the most informed Illinoisian here and the above is solid, I offer the following:
1. Noone knows if she's local or not and CCW is legit here
2. As long as the knife fits in a jeans pocket, she should be fine
3. Oak Brook is the land of shopping and trophy wives - unless your girl is at a sketch motel or plans to be out drunk at 0100, she could carry nothing and should be fine.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:17:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

While InterestedBystander is possibly the most informed Illinoisian here and the above is solid, I offer the following:
3. Oak Brook is the land of shopping and trophy wives - unless your girl is at a sketch motel or plans to be out drunk at 0100, she could carry nothing and should be fine.
View Quote
This is all great info!  Thanks for your input!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:21:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes OB is an area of the affluent and not much crime afaik.   Around Christmas time you do hear stories of things stolen or people accosted in the parking garage at the mall, but otherwise not much else making the news.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes OB is an area of the affluent and not much crime afaik.   Around Christmas time you do hear stories of things stolen or people accosted in the parking garage at the mall, but otherwise not much else making the news.
View Quote
That's good. The thing that worries me most is she'll be there on 9/11
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 5:03:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Very safe area, have a few friends on that department.

Unlikely target area for that kind of thing, too far from the city and not large enough to get attention.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 10:35:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Unlikely target area for that kind of thing, too far from the city and not large enough to get attention.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^ This. While ISIS isn't exactly a mecca of strategery, OB is not an attractive target.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 10:13:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I appreciate the replies guys.  Makes me feel better about the situation
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top