Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2017 1:11:42 AM EDT
I"ll try to be brief, but describe this the best I can. My wife and I live in WA, but she is from IL. Her father was a police officer. He passed away some time ago, not in the line of duty. One of her family members has his backup duty pistol and would like to give it to her. I assume the best/only method is to have this tranferred thru an FFL. This is west of Chicago, Rockford-ish area. I just had this sprung on me, to take place this weekend. I'm trying to explain that it isn't that easy. Thanks for any insight or suggestions.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:33:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I"ll try to be brief, but describe this the best I can. My wife and I live in WA, but she is from IL. Her father was a police officer. He passed away some time ago, not in the line of duty. One of her family members has his backup duty pistol and would like to give it to her. I assume the best/only method is to have this tranferred thru an FFL. This is west of Chicago, Rockford-ish area. I just had this sprung on me, to take place this weekend. I'm trying to explain that it isn't that easy. Thanks for any insight or suggestions.
View Quote

Needs to go through a ffl in WA.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:12:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Not necessary, but family member can pay an FFL in Il to ship to FFL in WA.

Checkout Bulletstopgunshop in Loves Park these  fine folks can guide you through the process.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 1:02:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies. I know the rules, but sometimes people just won't believe you, you know?
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 12:28:33 PM EDT
[#4]
If someone dies out of state and wills their firearms to you, does that still need to go through an FFL? I'm assuming this situation is a little different.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 9:41:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If someone dies out of state and wills their firearms to you, does that still need to go through an FFL? I'm assuming this situation is a little different.
View Quote
If documentation exists that a firearm is bequested, left by intestate succession, to an out of state resident, the person who was bequested the firearm does not need to go through a FFL to receive the firearm.  This can be found in Federal statute, Title 27 CFR Chapter II Part 478.30.   This applies if the person receiving the firearm is not prohibited from firearm ownership by the laws of their own state and the firearm does not require special licensing by  statute.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 7:33:45 PM EDT
[#6]
OP, did you get this shipped out, I have a FFL and could assist if still needed.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:27:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not necessary, but family member can pay an FFL in Il to ship to FFL in WA.

Checkout Bulletstopgunshop in Loves Park these  fine folks can guide you through the process.
View Quote
I'd literally choose any other shop other than bulletstop. From personal experience I won't set foot back in there ever again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top