Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2017 11:10:24 PM EDT
I have more than a few picked out.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 11:33:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I have no plans to buy an auto knife, but it does not bother me in the least if someone else wants to buy and carry one.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:52:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 7:05:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm saving up for multiple suppressors
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 7:38:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Does sendit14 know something the rest of us don't?   (or are you moving out of IL? )
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:16:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:25:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I already can if I want but I don't really see the desire to. Have at it if it's your thing.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 2:37:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Planning?
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 5:08:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Sure.... after....
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 6:40:27 PM EDT
[#9]
YES!!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 6:00:36 PM EDT
[#10]
When I get back from vacation I want to order This.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 12:58:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yes

Does sendit14 know something the rest of us don't?   (or are you moving out of IL? )
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yes

Quoted:
I wish ... it's just optimism for HPA success. Yeah, yeah, I know state laws still matter, but thus far it's the only reason I don't vomit when  I think about voting for Trump.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 1:26:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Rumor has it the Governor signed the bill Friday. 
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:16:21 PM EDT
[#13]
It's has been signed.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 3:07:33 AM EDT
[#14]
So we just go buy one online and don't get static about delivery address? Or are there forms?
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:38:52 AM EDT
[#15]
When I bought my Kershaw Launch from kershawguy.com, it was like buying any other knife. I think there might have been a 'comply with all the laws of your state' blurb somewhere, but no forms.

Larry
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:38:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So we just go buy one online and don't get static about delivery address? Or are there forms?
View Quote
It may vary by vendor and their policies.  So far, the only pushback Ive read about was an out of state online vendor.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 8:38:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Out of state, across state lines there is paperwork required and prohibitions.

Federal Switchblade Law

This article is intended to demystify the US federal laws that govern switchblades. In my travels over the past several decades I have noted that nearly everyone has some of kind of misunderstanding of how these laws work, and what they actually apply to. So to make life easier for all of us, I'm going to spell it all out in plain English.

First thing to explain is that these laws are from the US national government. They cover the entire United States and all of its non-state territories. However, like many federal laws there are matters that are not addressed within them, which means that such matters are left to the individual states and local jurisdictions to govern (or not govern).

The specific laws themselves are from Title 15, Chapter 29 of the United States Code (U.S.C.) and consist of five sections:

§ 1241. Definitions
§ 1242. Introduction, manufacture for introduction, transportation or distribution in interstate commerce; penalty
§ 1243. Manufacture, sale, or possession within specific jurisdictions; penalty
§ 1244. Exceptions
§ 1245. Ballistic knives
Let's break them down by section

§ 1241.

The first section, titled "Definitions" sets out the meaning of certain terms that are used throughout the rest of the chapter. The first term, “interstate commerce,” if of crucial importance to understanding this entire set of laws because it greatly limits the scope of what these laws apply to. In short, “interstate commerce” means commerce (buying, selling and trading) between any of 50 US states, Washington DC, any of the US Territories (e.g. Guam or American Samoa), and "any place outside thereof," referring to all foreign countries. In other words, this means this term applies to selling, buying and trading between states, between a state and a territory, between a state or territory and a foreign country (i.e. importing) and so on. It does not refer to buying, selling or trading within the same state or territory.

A switchblade is defined as "any knife having a blade which opens automatically—
(1) by hand pressure applied to a button or other device in the handle of the knife, or
(2) by operation of inertia, gravity, or both. "

The use of the phrase "in the handle" is notable, because if the knife has a spring-operated blade, but no device that actuates it that is located in the handle, this definition does not apply (e.g. so-called Assisted Opening Knives). The other (2) definition is meant to apply to gravity knives (which are rather obscure) and butterfly knives, though the vague nature of this line's phrasing leaves some room for interpretation that I cannot elaborate on as it is too complicated.

§ 1242.

"Whoever knowingly introduces, or manufactures for introduction, into interstate commerce, or transports or distributes in interstate commerce, any switchblade knife, shall be fined not more than $2,000 or imprisoned not more than five years, or both."

Arguably one of the most important parts of this chapter, several key elements of this section require explanation. First, it is notable that this law only prohibits introducing, manufacturing, transporting or distributing switchblades if doing so is part of a business transaction and that transaction crosses over state or territory lines, or the knives are coming from a foreign country. That's all it does. It has no effect on selling withing the same state, no effect on carry, and no effect on possession alone.

§ 1243.

"Whoever, within any Territory or possession of the United States, within Indian country (as defined in section 1151 of title 18), or within the special maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States (as defined in section 7 of title 18), manufactures, sells, or possesses any switchblade knife, shall be fined not more than $2,000 or imprisoned not more than five years, or both. "

This section has very limited applicability to most US residents, but it indirectly generates a great deal of confusion with regards to the exceptions section (§ 1244). In essence it prohibits the mere possession of a switchblade in areas of the United States that are not part of the 50 states or Washington D.C. Examples are territories like Puerto Rico, Guam, Northern Marianas, U. S. Virgin Islands and American Samoa, federally-run Native American reservations, and certain maritime situations such as Navy vessels or government-owned aircraft.

For people living in one of the 50 U.S. states or Washington D.C., this section has no effect.

§ 1244.

This portion of the law contains all the exceptions to the restrictions. It should be noted that some of these exceptions are only applicable to 1242 (interstate commerce), and some only apply to 1243 (possession in non-state territories). I'll break them down one at a time:

(1) any common carrier or contract carrier, with respect to any switchblade knife shipped, transported, or delivered for shipment in interstate commerce in the ordinary course of business;

This section only applies to 1242. It's purpose is to exempt the Postal Service, UPS, FedEx or any other professional delivery service from being guilty of violating the law since they are simply the messenger and often unaware of the contents of what they carry.

(2) the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce, of switchblade knives pursuant to contract with the Armed Forces;

This section makes it legal for switchblade manufacturers and sellers to sell to the military, but only if it's done in an official, sanctioned contract. This is frequently misinterpreted as allowing any active duty member of the military to buy a switchblade from out of of state or from foreign countries, when in fact it does no such thing. It should be noted that despite common rumors, this exception does not apply to police officers at all.

(3) the Armed Forces or any member or employee thereof acting in the performance of his duty;

Makes it legal for members of the military to distribute switchblades over state lines to other members of the military in accordance with normal equipment issuance (1242), as well as exempts members of the military who are in a non-state US territory, Indian reservation, or special maritime jurisdiction from the restriction on possession in those areas (1243) so long as it is for official duty. Again, it does not give blanket permission for members of the military to acquire or carry switchblades, and has no effect on the laws of individual states.

(4) the possession, and transportation upon his person, of any switchblade knife with a blade three inches or less in length by any individual who has only one arm; or

A frequently misused exception, this part only applies to section 1243. It permits a civilian with a missing hand or arm to possess a switchblade if he or she is in a non-state US territory, Indian reservation, or special maritime jurisdiction. It does not effect anything in the main 50 states or DC, nor does it override the laws of any state. A person with one arm living in a state with a ban on possession of switchblades is still restricted like everyone else in the state.

(5) a knife that contains a spring, detent, or other mechanism designed to create a bias toward closure of the blade and that requires exertion applied to the blade by hand, wrist, or arm to overcome the bias toward closure to assist in opening the knife.

A recent addition, this exception was added primarily to distinguish true switchblades from so called "Assisted Opening" knives. This makes it legal to import or buy Assisted Opening knives over state lines without running afoul of federal law. However it should be noted that this has no effect on state laws.

page revision: 6, last edited: 13 Aug 2017, 20:21 (2 days ago)
Edit Tags History Files Print Site tools + Options
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:28:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It may vary by vendor and their policies.  So far, the only pushback Ive read about was an out of state online vendor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Soooooo ...

Quoted:
When I bought my Kershaw Launch from kershawguy.com, it was like buying any other knife. I think there might have been a 'comply with all the laws of your state' blurb somewhere, but no forms.
Larry
Does this mean Larry got lucky or kershawguy isn't really in Oregon?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:42:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Not sure about 'lucky', but there were no hoops. There's a disclaimer about 'following all laws is your responsibility' or something, but no impediments to ordering.

I believe a number of on-line retailers do business this way?

Larry
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 4:49:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I plan on enjoying the 100+ switchblades I already own.

Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:59:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Not sure about 'lucky', but there were no hoops. There's a disclaimer about 'following all laws is your responsibility' or something, but no impediments to ordering.

I believe a number of on-line retailers do business this way?

Larry
View Quote
Cool. Thx for the info
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:09:05 AM EDT
[#22]
I ordered This to play with and I had no problems buying it online. 
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:22:48 PM EDT
[#23]
That Federal law  is some ancient law that apparently nobody cares about or is rarely ever enforced, however Smokey Mountain Knife Works in Tennessee will not ship switchblades out of Tennessee.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:29:39 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a few benchmades that have been hiding in my safe since the 90's.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:18:46 AM EDT
[#25]
No, I do not have use for one.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:43:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
No, I do not have use for one.
View Quote
After you get one you will find a use. One handed deployment is very handy when opening boxes or while on the job. I've had mine since Friday.  Got a kershaw launch 5 and its replacing my benchmade griptillion for edc
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:13:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I ordered This to play with and I had no problems buying it online. 
View Quote
I checked out @ludder093's choice and then Googled "john wick 2 knife" ... I expected to see a premium but wtf?!?

What do I not understand about auto knives??
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:37:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I checked out @ludder093's choice and then Googled "john wick 2 knife" ... I expected to see a premium but wtf?!?

View Quote
Microtechs and the benchmade infidel are crazy expensive.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:03:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Larry
View Quote
I just unboxed my launch 5 "blem" from Kershawguy.  no problems shipping.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:07:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I just unboxed my launch 5 "blem" from Kershawguy.  no problems shipping.
View Quote
For the record, I can't find the blem on mine. Thought it was a scuff on the handle, but it rubbed off. :)

Larry
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:19:58 PM EDT
[#31]
mine neither. Thanks Larry on the heads up for Kershawguy. 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:44:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know.

Is like buying a HK / DD / Knight's and the extra $$ equals extra quality??
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Good to know.

Is like buying a HK / DD / Knight's and the extra $ equals extra quality??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know.

Is like buying a HK / DD / Knight's and the extra $ equals extra quality??
pretty much. better blade steel and nicer fit and finish but they are still ridiculously expensive for what they are. But If I had the disposable income I'd buy an infidel in a heartbeat 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:24:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Where are folks buying from?  GPKnives and Adams International, both IL businesses, are getting good comments,  but interested where others are buying.  Many online retailers state they wont sell outside of their own state but thats kind of surprising based on other arfcom posts.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:27:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Where are folks buying from?  GPKnives and Adams International, both IL businesses, are getting good comments,  but interested where others are buying.  Many online retailers state they wont sell outside of their own state but thats kind of surprising based on other arfcom posts.
View Quote
http://www.bladehq.com/cat--Side-Opening-Automatics--40

http://kershawguy.com/
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:09:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.bladehq.com/cat--Side-Opening-Automatics--40

http://kershawguy.com/
Thought Blade HQ wouldn't ship?

@InterestedBystander GP Knives is where I purchased a Protech Sprint. A Protech Magic or Godson is next.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:40:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

GP Knives is where I purchased a Protech Sprint. A Protech Magic or Godson is next.
View Quote
Part of the reason I asked as Ive started taking a deeper look.

BladeHQ and a couple of others have web statements about not selling out of their own state...but am   pretty sure all of these knife buying posts Ive seen  across arfcom aren't from UT   They and others  also have a form to sign about buyer being  military, police, etc.  

ive seen a federal law quoted (the one from Lilguy above) saying they cant sell interstate but also seen interpretations  that says that does not apply.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:47:49 AM EDT
[#38]
I ordered half a dozen to sell at a gun show last weekend. They came from Indiniana. 

ETA:I have some listed on the EE and more to come. 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:52:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

BladeHQ and a couple of others have web statements about not selling out of their own state...but am   pretty sure all of these knife buying posts Ive seen  across arfcom aren't from UT   They and others  also have a form to sign about buyer being  military, police, etc.  

ive seen a federal law quoted (the one from Lilguy above) saying they cant sell interstate but also seen interpretations  that says that does not apply.
View Quote
Yeah, I saw a few posts on Illinois Carry that said the same about BladeHQ.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:35:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GP Knives is where I purchased a Protech Sprint. A Protech Magic or Godson is next.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 12:56:08 PM EDT
[#41]
http://queenstiletto.com sells/ships to Illinois.
They have some beautiful Italians.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 1:07:38 PM EDT
[#42]
re: Blade HQ

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=65787&p=1109876

..."there are 4 restrictions during the online checkout process that will prevent citizens that are not Military/LEO from ordering online. I explained to him the situation in IL and he said the company is aware of the law and will gladly take an order over the phone once they have received a copy of the FOID card via email"...

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=65787&p=1110520

..."If anyone is planning on using Blade HQ, keep this in mind: in addition to sending a copy of your FOID to Blade HQ, you also have to have a history of at least one purchase from Blade HQ before they will sell you an automatic knife. It's a strange policy, but there is no way around it. Once you have one order placed (I was also told you can call Blade HQ after the order is placed and cancel that order and that will count as having a purchase history with them), you can call them and place an order for an automatic knife you want to buy. A bit of work, but I was happy with the service provided. The person I spoke with was very friendly and helpful"...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top