Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2017 8:12:51 PM EDT
School me.

I'm considering two job offers. One local and one in Lawrence County, IL. This would mean moving the family roughly 2.5 hours west.

Near as I can tell, when comparing IN and IL, the property taxes seem higher. It seems more difficult to find acreage for fun. And I already know all about FOID and how screwed up gun laws are. what am i missing? Wife and I are going to have some hard choices in the next few weeks.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:31:38 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll be sorry if you move here.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:46:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Can you give some indication as to why?

Surely the dems haven't ruined the farm country too?
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:16:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Illinois is in dire fiscal straits right now.  State politics are dominated by Chicago Democrats.  The highlight of the 2016 elections was that the Democrats lost their 3/5 supermajority.  Governor Rauner (R) is struggling mightily to swim upstream against the current, and I'll be stunned if he manages to get reelected in 2018.

Regarding gun laws, there's constant vigilance against stupid Chicago crap.  Thankfully enough downstate Democrats recognize the pro-gun nature down there and manage to keep things from going straight to hell.  (I say there because I live in far northern IL.)

Your possible job in Illinois better be worth it to consider moving here.  Would it be possible for you to still live in Indiana and commute to Illinois?  Lawrence County is only 20-something miles across.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 2:20:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Dude, the dems have ruined the entire state.

Read this and see if you think this state is financially sound.

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/judge-says-lawmakers-shouldnt-be-paid-ahead-of-everyone-else/?linkId=35607452
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:16:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:48:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Interesting. Thanks all.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:10:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting. Thanks all.
View Quote
I grew up in NW Illinois and love it. I moved out after I was done with college (although my current and former jobs are in IL) and I won't move back. After living in Indiana and Iowa, I can never subject myself to being controlled by crooked Springfield or Shithole Chicago again. 
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:49:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I used to live in Indiana....i miss it
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:45:27 PM EDT
[#9]
My ancestors came from Scotland in 1850, and we've owned and farmed the same piece of land ever since. I was proud to be the 6th generation in a row to farm it from 2009-2016.

I'm fucking done with this state. Leaving sooner rather than later.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:31:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I guess I'm a weirdo, but I love living in Chicago. It's nice living in the city and taking transit, the food here is the BEST, and the cost of living is fairly low compared to places like NYC and SF. The gun laws are shitty, but they definitely aren't the worst. At least we can conceal carry and buy all the guns we want with little restrictions.

That being said, I'm not sure I'd live elsewhere in Illinois because I could just move to Iowa, Missouri, or Indiana and have lower taxes and better gun laws.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:59:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My ancestors came from Scotland in 1850, and we've owned and farmed the same piece of land ever since. I was proud to be the 6th generation in a row to farm it from 2009-2016.

I'm fucking done with this state. Leaving sooner rather than later.
View Quote
Yep. Gotta get the kids out of school and we're most likely gone too.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 1:18:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted: one in Lawrence County,.
View Quote

You could still live in IN and commute for that one.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 12:05:31 AM EDT
[#13]
One word.... RE-CONSIDER!!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:02:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You'll be sorry if you move here.
View Quote
I will second that motion.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 1:13:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
One word.... RE-CONSIDER!!!
View Quote
Wow, I was going to agree with the OPs comments on taxes and finding a decent piece of land but then sell the downstate area as not THAT terrible and maybe bring some like minded voters into the mix.
Guess I gotta go along and agree all is lost if even the pro 2nd amendment folks have thrown in the towel.......
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 4:55:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Why?  This place sucks, I am leaving within 4 years.  Kids are gone, Illinois is going to implode.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 9:22:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Everywhere can suck ... imagine you move into a house and one neighbor is NRA rep while other neighbor is ISRA rep. You guys field strip your .50 cals in the caldesac. Then a new neighbor moves in ... and she's the regional director of everytown while her 'partner' is the rep for lgbtaqrst usa
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:13:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Something else to consider is if you take that job offer but don't live in the state, I believe you'll be paying taxes in both states. I work in WI but only pay Illinois taxes. If it were the other way around I'd pay both if I'm not mistaken.

Personally, I will be leaving this state ASAP. The weather is my primary reason, but certainly not the only reason by any stretch...
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 7:50:31 PM EDT
[#19]
My sister and brother in law live in Indiana. The one reason to stay there instead of move to IL is the lifetime LTCH.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:15:00 PM EDT
[#20]
I am south central Illinois.  20% of the homes are for sale here.  People fleeing the state.  I cannot wait to be one of them.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:49:10 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm gone come June 16th... That's the closing date for my home in MO.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:45:50 AM EDT
[#22]
I've lived here my whole life.  If it wasn't for family and my wife's pension at her company, I'd be moving.
Once (if ever) we retire, I am gone.  Hopefully I can work between now and then to get the retirement place bought and paid for, wherever it is.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:17:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Don't. This state will implode soon and you'll be kicking yourself trying to get back to Indiana. 
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 1:07:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Why is this even a consideration?

I moved back from Florida earlier this year, and if it weren't for the fact that I was offered a pretty cush gig in my home town, where my parents and my wife's parents live there's no way I would have come back.
Still not sure it was the wise choice.

This state is falling apart more every day, and I really don't think there's any way to fix it short of splitting Shitcago off out of the state.
Which isn't going to happen.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 6:58:23 PM EDT
[#25]
No, don't do it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:04:38 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm late to this thread, but just want to add DON'T DO IT! Screw this state. Made the mistake of moving back four years ago and now planning my exit before my daughter starts kindergarten next year.

Planning on Colorado which has their own issues, but I'll take that over this shithole any day.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:13:47 PM EDT
[#27]
If you did some financial planning first, based on todays votes in legislature and anticipated veto override this week,  plan on paying 32% more in income taxes.   Add in some extra for whatever other taxes are in bill that people dont realize.

To the OP, did you make a decision?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:55:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Unless the job pays stupid money don't do it.  I moved to IL for a job.  My plan was to get 5 years experience and then jump.  Unfortunately, the recession hit and I stayed for closer to 8.  I had to take a loss on my house because of the recession but I'm probably at a break even point because my taxes are now 1/2 of what they were for a property of similar value.  My property taxes were $800/mth for a decent but unremarkable house.  OH is nothing special but I'm glad that I'm not in IL.

Taxes are bad and are only going to get worse because the state is having financial issues.
    FOID is a pain in the ass.
    IL does have CCW now.  They didn't when I lived there so I can't comment on how good or bad it is.
    The overall cost of living was cheaper in IN.
    IL is a big time blue state so you have to deal with a constant barrage of gun and other shit laws due to Chicago running the show.  They generally don't pass but it's tiring.

I'm sure that there are other things that I am forgetting.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 1:36:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Why would you want to come here?
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 5:11:13 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm forced to live in Chicago due to my job.

Awful schools, expensive private schools.
High and wide spread crime.
Awful gun laws that only effect the good guys.
High property taxes
Plastic bag tax
Soon to be sugar drink tax
Increased income tax
Awful traffic.
Small homes for what you pay
Terrible road maintenance ( pot holes etc )
High gas prices
Liberals
More liberals
Under funded and under staffed police and  fire dept.
High car insurance
Kids can't play outside safely ( see crime)
And a general anti police, anti gun social justice narrative from the ppl " in charge".
I believe a soon to be bullet tax ( add a nickel to each round )  if that's not in place already.
If you wanna deal with all that for a good slice of pizza that you wait in an hour line to get then by all means, I'm selling my house soon if you want it.

If all goes well I'm gone in 6 months.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 5:43:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

High property taxes
Plastic bag tax
Increased income tax
Awful traffic.
High gas prices
Liberals
More liberals
High car insurance
And a general anti police, anti gun social justice narrative from the ppl " in charge".
I believe a soon to be bullet tax ( add a nickel to each round )  if that's not in place already.
If you wanna deal with all that for a good slice of pizza that you wait in an hour line to get then by all means, I'm selling my house soon if you want it.

View Quote
Yes they already have the bullet tax in Cook "Crook" County "5 cents per round centerfire, 1cent per round rimfire."
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:10:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Yes they already have the bullet tax in Cook "Crook" County "5 cents per round centerfire, 1cent per round rimfire."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

High property taxes
Plastic bag tax
Increased income tax
Awful traffic.
High gas prices
Liberals
More liberals
High car insurance

And Cook County also imposes a $25 tax on the sale of firearms.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:25:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
How do all the gangbangers pay that? Is there a form they can just print off and mail in with a check or do they have to go down to the county offices and pay in person?
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:56:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
How do all the gangbangers pay that? Is there a form they can just print off and mail in with a check or do they have to go down to the county offices and pay in person?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure they just have that deducted from their paycheck.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:01:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 11:11:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

High property taxes
Plastic bag tax
Increased income tax
Awful traffic.
High gas prices
Liberals
More liberals
High car insurance

View Quote
I agree with you on most points, but there are plenty of positives.

One of the best public transit systems in the country
Awesome food
Lake Michigan
Lake front trail
Museums, opera, orchestra, comedy clubs, etc.
Low cost of living for the 3rd largest city in the country
Very little hot weather

I lived in Dallas for a year and could write a novel on things I hated about it. Sure the gun laws and taxes were lower, but my day to day life was terrible.

The tax thing is the worst here, but I wouldn't completely blame the city and county. The state, city, and county are legally bound by the pension agreements and must pay them out. I blame the crooked politicians, crooked unions, and workers of past generations who decided the high pension payouts funded by taxpayers were a good idea. I saw that one retiree is working in a school in California while he collects his $300K/year pension from IL. The pensions REALLY need to be reworked, because if they aren't, taxes will continue to increase and more people will continue leaving the state.

I'll likely live here for another 2-3 years, then move elsewhere when it's time to buy a house. Only a fool would buy a home in Chicago in these financial conditions.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Yes cta is good. When you don't face getting robbed or forced to sit next to a mental bum . My wife takes cta to work daily. We both hate it especially since she can't conceal carry on a cta train.

Food. Meh. I can find culture orientated food elsewhere.. ( the south For smoked bbq. South west for Mexican. Etc) and spending hour in traffic and then 45 min in line to pay for a " good " meal is not worth it.

You can't get to lake Michigan without hours of traffic , expensive parking , and an insanely crowded and dangerous beach front. The great lakes are better in other states ( Michigan etc).

Lake front trail just means a paved road you have to deal with the previously listed bad stuff to get to.

No insane hot weather but them winters though.  You also don't get real seasons. Its either hot or freezing.    Go to Tennessee. You can enjoy each season individually with extremes.

Not to argue with you lol . just my opinions and opinions of many ppl I know.  If it helps I'm a police officer here so I'm naturally disgruntled.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 8:09:41 AM EDT
[#38]
I have lived here all my life and I cannot wait to leave.  Taxes just went up, politicians passed a budget that yet again spends more than it takes in, gun laws suck, traffic.   I could go on and on

People say "Oh look how much there is to do in Chiraq" and while that may be true you are going to pay out the nose for it.  

If you are well to do and don't mind the taxes then living in downtown Chiraq might be nice.  One of my customers has a two story house on a city lot which is 25 x 120.  I think they bought four years ago and the taxes were 12K, then 15K.  With the latest increase they will be at 18K.  1,500/month just for the honor of living in Chiraq.

The state is so far down a financial black hole that there is no coming back.  I predict in the not so distant future that IL will start taxing retirement income.  When that happens I can see a lot of people that stayed only because of this exemption finally saying enough and pulling up anchor.

Daley, the former Chiraq mayor, manipulated the pension system and now pulls down just under 300K a year.  And some wonder why they state is broke.   I heard of a school district superintendent that is pulling down 300K in retirement.  

The boating season is only a few months at best, same with motorcycles.  

Wife unit said just call and she will start packing before I get home.  TN, KY, WV appeal to us.

ETA:  Yes we finally have CCW but the list of restricted carry locations is mind blowing.  Prime example:  Any event that requires a permit such as a carnival or block party, no ccw.  You can pass through but cannot stop.  Mass transit is another example of where a person would most need protection.  All forest preserves located within crook county are off limits as well.  

A short time back there was a female that was attacked while jogging in a CCFP.  The guy dragged her down a hill and luckily for her she was an off duty sheriff who was carrying so she was able to save herself.  The average citizen would have been screwed.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 6:01:46 PM EDT
[#39]
I'd think twice about it if I were you. Illinois state Income just went up 32%. Chicago real estate taxes have gone up 23% in the last 2 years.
The Mike Madigan and his stooges in power have done nothing to curb state spending. Their Only answer is tax, tax, tax and it will only get worse.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 7:58:16 PM EDT
[#40]
@killerbeezer   OP, its been 4 months...what did you decide? (although since your location has not changed in profile, I can guess)
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
@killerbeezer   OP, its been 4 months...what did you decide? (although since your location has not changed in profile, I can guess)
View Quote
I already own property in Missouri. In six years I'm fucking gone and never looking back. This is one of the worst states in the nation. The taxes are terrible, the weather is terrible (icy nasty winters and horrifically hot and humid summers), the gun laws are so so and as others have said the tax situation is only going to get worse. At least California has nice weather and pretty scenery. Here at the moment it's swamp ass weather and nothing to look at but fucking corn and soy beans.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 9:25:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Wound up applying for a position with similar responsibilities locally. Likely dodged a bullet with all the fiscal shenanigans.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 10:22:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Wound up applying for a position with similar responsibilities locally. Likely dodged a bullet with all the fiscal shenanigans.
View Quote
Good. I wouldn't wish this hellhole one anybody.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:21:45 PM EDT
[#44]
I hate Illinois. Been here 33 years. Chicago is a F'ing joke. The most broke, corrupted state out there. I am out of here in 3 years max. #$%@ Illinois!
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 8:43:02 PM EDT
[#45]
You will regret it for the rest of your life.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:27:36 PM EDT
[#46]
I've lived here since February. I don't regret my move at all, but there is no fucking way I'd stay in Illinois long term. Chicago is a fun place for younger folks to start their careers before moving on to a more financially stable city/state.

People joke about Alabama and Mississippi being backwards, but those states are run way better than Illinois.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:27:29 AM EDT
[#47]
I've lived in Illinois for about half my life, birth to 18 and the last 6 years. I lived in the Iowa quad cities for the middle 25 years

I like living here, it's cheap compared to Scott County Iowa, housing is a bargain, honestly my property taxes are about the same as when I lived in Bettendorf
I moved back here so my son could go to a small high school, where he could be more than one of 1500, he graduated 3 years ago, 1 of 24. I don't think he'd have graduated from Bettendorf high school.
I can't speak for Chicago, I'm 165 miles from there and as for the politicians they aren't that different than any others, all are corrupt or at least inly worried about themselves.
Gun laws aren't that different, from Iowa anyway

maybe it's not that great here but it beats the hell out of the Quad cities, specifically Bettendorf IA, everybody there is a dick/cunt and I don't miss it one bit.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top