Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2006 2:32:22 PM EDT
Anyone know of any shop that is selling/has in stock bent bolt k98s (german/capture) at a reasonable price somewhere about 180-250 price range in and around northern cook? (schaumbureg/hoffman estates/southern mchenry like carpentersville).

Thanks

(sorry off topic, and not as gutsy as asking to by a dreaded -aw-)
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:24:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I would also like to know...
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:45:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Good luck!  I haven't seen any anywhere I have been.  I've considered getting one in the long term, but I came to the conclusion that the Internet was the way to go.

Let me know if you guys find a source.

Here's some links:
www.impactguns.com/store/mauser_surplus_rifles.html
www.gunbroker.com/
Auctionarms

www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Rifles.html
AIM used to have them, but they don't now.

Definitely not RC's:
www.mitchellsales.com/
www.miltecharms.com/rifles.htm#MAUSER

If you get one, a range report would be cool!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:02:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a C&R if you guys find a source.  I'd prefer if you guys not get into the legal arguement of me, "Engaging in a business" as I have no desire to profit from them at all...but if you guys want stuff that is C&R and you're willing to buy it from me legally at ZERO profit, I will acquire and dispose of these firearms for you.

I live in northern crook county, as well.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:24:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Ok, here we go:

INTERORDINANCE

Hmm...anybody have experience with them?

Edit: Crap, looks like they may be out of stock too.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:32:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Have you been to Smokin Gun in Waukegan? They usually have some Mausers on their rack for reasonable prices.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:50:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I saw some at Gun World in Bensenville
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:57:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Have you been to Smokin Gun in Waukegan? They usually have some Mausers on their rack for reasonable prices.

I haven't.  I'll check them out someday.  Thanks

Quoted:
I saw some at Gun World in Bensenville

I think those are Mauser 98's, not 98k's.  Somebody correct me if I am wrong.  Plus they looked pretty bad and have been there forever.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:06:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have a C&R if you guys find a source.  I'd prefer if you guys not get into the legal arguement of me, "Engaging in a business" as I have no desire to profit from them at all...but if you guys want stuff that is C&R and you're willing to buy it from me legally at ZERO profit, I will acquire and dispose of these firearms for you.

Profit or no. Selling them you would be.

Admitting that you will break the law in an open forum is about as wise as saying you will do full auto mod's.

I know you think you're right and want to be the "go to guy" but you should look into this more deeply than you have.

Enjoy the veal.

JR

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:48:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Profit or no. Selling them you would be.

Admitting that you will break the law in an open forum is about as wise as saying you will do full auto mod's.

I know you think you're right and want to be the "go to guy" but you should look into this more deeply than you have.

Enjoy the veal.

JR

I have guidelines numbering thousands of pages on the federal laws involved in having my C&R.  It expressly states that I can acquire and dispose of C&R firearms as I wish, but may not actively engage in business transactions, which is clearly defined by the ATF.  So long as I am not attempting to make a profit, it's perfectly legal for me to acquire and dispose of these firearms in private sales as I wish.

If you do not want my services, fine, but I've met plenty of the people from this board and I would have no problem personally engaging in a transaction between myself and someone on this board within the law in order to help them out.

You might think this is a gray area but if you read the law, it is clearly not.  

What does "engaged in business" mean?

The term "engaged in business," as applicable to a firearms dealer, is defined as a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to dealing in firearms as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the repetitive purchase and resale of firearms, but such term shall not include a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or for a hobby, or who sells all or part of his personal collection of firearms.

[27 CFR 178.11]

www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/curios/faq.htm

Not only CAN I sell firearms to you guys, but I can even sell them "occasionally" at a profit to enhance my personal collection of C&R firearms, perfectly within the laws of this country.

In order to abide by the laws of this state, I will check your FOID, I will make a bill of sale, and you WILL comply with the waiting period.  As long as that's cool with you, I'm more than happy to use my license to benefit EVERYONE here at the board.

Engaging in a business is clearly defined and it is within the law for me to offer this service to people here as a courtesy.  I do not appreciate you implying that I would do anything illegal as that is 100% false.  I would gladly do anything within the law to help out the members here in the Illinois forum as you guys are all pretty cool here.

Now that we've got that out of the way, if anyone wants a firearm just let me know.  Inter Ordinance has my FFL on file already so if there's anything you want from them, it's simply a phone call away.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:01:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Knockem dead gunrunner.

JR
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:01:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Tim,

You are not correct.  A C&R license is stictly for purchasing firearms for your personal collection.  You may sell firearms from your collection.  You cannot buy firearms for another person or with the intent to sell them to another person.  

Making a statement on a public bulletin board that you will buy rifles for other people can get you in trouble.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:10:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Tim,

You are not correct.  A C&R license is stictly for purchasing firearms for your personal collection.  You may sell firearms from your collection.  You cannot buy firearms for another person or with the intent to sell them to another person.  

Making a statement on a public bulletin board that you will buy rifles for other people can get you in trouble.

So I take it you don't want any rifles.  Those of you that do, IM me.

There is a clearly defined legal definition of what engaging in a business is.  If you think buying rifles and selling them on an occassional basis is engaging in a business, go ahead and call the US Attorney's office and we'll see if a grand jury agrees with you.  Either way I'm going to keep my paperwork straight and not worry.  I'm not a criminal and this is NOT illegal, as I posted a direct link to the ATF's website above.

Seems that everyone wants to be an armchair lawyer but doesn't want to read the law.  If you don't want any rifles, don't ask for any, or participate in this thread.  If you have any legal backing or case law to post for the statements you've made, go ahead and post it.  Until then, don't advise me on the law, as I have researched this and it is perfectly legal.

I am a federally licensed collector, and I am free to purchase C&R firearms (not just rifles) for any purpose that I wish.  I am also free to sell them, so long as I'm not, "Engaged in a business" which is clearly defined above.

It's fine if you disagree, but do not imply that I am a criminal.  That is, as stated before, 100% false.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:13:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, I have a C& R and have purchased many rifles for my collection.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:15:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Yes, I have a C& R and have purchased many rifles for my collection.

So why even reply here?  If you have your own, you don't need me.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:46:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Whatever...just trying to save you from some trouble.

Sorry I bothered.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:20:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Whatever...just trying to save you from some trouble.

Sorry I bothered.

Well thanks for your concern.

It's not personal, btw.

I don't recall meeting you in person, but a bunch of other guys have met me here...and I have bought and sold several firearms FTF with members of the board here, so I'm not overly concerned about it, as long as the transaction is done legally.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:51:46 PM EDT
[#17]
hopefully no one got bent out of shape cause of me little ol request...so solly.   hose
I'll have to check that place out in waukegan - anyone know if GAT has stuff like that or if they'd do an order?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:14:56 PM EDT
[#18]
get a C&R its only $35.. and you'll end up saveing more than that the first time you buy a C&R eligable firearm
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:27:24 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
get a C&R its only $35.. and you'll end up saveing more than that the first time you buy a C&R eligable firearm

$30
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:23:31 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm thinking of taking a trip up to Smoke n Gun today. I'll ask em what they got for ya. I picked up a 303 Enfield up there not too long ago. Think it cost me $150, but I forget.

Here's a shotty pic of my enfield.

I've bought probably 8 used guns from Smoke n Gun over the last few years even while working at Maxon's. I have found that they have the best deals on used guns. They don't try to $crew you like Maxon's.  I've also had good luck with The Gun Doctor out in Roselle. Good reasonable prices out there. Just picked up a nice used Ruger Bisley Vaquero 45LC for $325. Took me almost 3 months to pay it off, they didn't mind one bit.

Question on the C&R, what's involved in address changes? I want to get one but still being a renter, I could see having to change addresses every so often.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:31:31 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I want to get one but still being a renter, I could see having to change addresses every so often.

You're required by law to notify them, and they'll send you new license with your new address.  It takes a little while, though.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:53:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Oh, man, you missed the one I saw at the gun show in Dupage about a month or two ago.

Sniper variation with original numbers matching scope (a factory sniper rifle, I guess).

Some guy brought it in, said it was just sitting in his basement ....... I guess a relative brought it back from the war.

Another vendor there told me it was probably a $15k gun.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:04:09 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
anyone know if GAT has stuff like that or if they'd do an order?

Thanks!

I think they get them from time to time.

I asked once, and they had me fill out a card that was used to notify me if they added one to their inventory.

That was probably six months ago and I haven't heard a peep since.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:24:37 AM EDT
[#24]
On the debate between Tim and racecar/Roadhawk, of course it's a fine line.  

If this is an actual response by the ATF, this is probably the most clear word on the topic:

www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Gorge/4653/cnrbiz02.htm

The BATF replied:
Department of the Treasury
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms
Washington, DC 20226

Dear Mr. Rxxx,
This is in response to your letter dated October 18, 1996, requesting information concerning the acquisition and disposition of curio and relic firearms.

In response to your questions, we feel the following information will resolve your areas of concern and confusion:

[SNIP]

(C) You may immediately dispose of a firearm to a lawful buyer. The length of time you retain it is immaterial. The determining factor is under what circumstances it was acquired.

If the firearm was acquired to enhance your personal collection, and you decide you do not like or want it, the length of time and amount it is sold for do not matter. However, if you acquire guns for the purpose of resale, for profit, you would be engaged in a firearms dealing business and would need a dealers' license.

As you are aware, the definition of a dealer is ''A person who devotes time, attention and labor to dealing in firearms as a regular course of trade or business with the principle objective of livelihood and profit through the repetitive purchase and resale of firearms, but such a term shall not include a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or for a hobby, or who sells all or part of his personal collection of firearms.''

Therefore, the purpose of the transactions would be the determining factor in whether you were dealing in firearms or merely enhancing your personal collection. The mere fact that you make a profit on the sale of a firearm from your collection would not mean you were dealing in firearms. Repeated transactions which are motivated by the desire to generate profit or income rather than enhancing your collection would indicate you were dealing in furearms, not collecting.

If a collector acquires curios or relics for the purpose of sale rather than to enhance a collection, the collector should be a licensed dealer in firearms.The sole intent and purpose for the collectors' license is to enable a firearms collector to obtain a curio or relic from outside his State of residence.

(D) Disposing of personal firearms for the purpose of upgrading a collection is not engaging in a firearms business.

Also, BTW, believe it or not, there is actually a statute governing "gunrunning."  So long as the seller  follows the law (i.e. waiting period, checks FOID, records everything, buyer not retarded, etc...) then there is no gunrunning.

(720 ILCS 5/24‑3A)
   Sec. 24‑3A. Gunrunning.
   (a) A person commits gunrunning when he or she transfers 3 or more firearms in violation of any of the paragraphs of Section 24‑3 of this Code.
   (b) Sentence. A person who commits gunrunning:
       (1) is guilty of a Class 1 felony;
       (2) is guilty of a Class X felony for which the  
    sentence shall be a term of imprisonment of not less than 8 years and not more than 40 years if the transfer is of not less than 11 firearms and not more than 20 firearms;

(3) is guilty of a Class X felony for which the  
    sentence shall be a term of imprisonment of not less than 10 years and not more than 50 years if the transfer is of more than 20 firearms.

A person who commits gunrunning by transferring firearms to a person who, at the time of the commission of the offense, is under 18 years of age is guilty of a Class X felony.
(Source: P.A. 93‑906, eff. 8‑11‑04.)  

Sec. 24‑3. Unlawful Sale of Firearms.
   (A) A person commits the offense of unlawful sale of firearms when he or she knowingly does any of the following:
       (a) Sells or gives any firearm of a size which may  
    be concealed upon the person to any person under 18 years of age.

(b) Sells or gives any firearm to a person under 21  
    years of age who has been convicted of a misdemeanor other than a traffic offense or adjudged delinquent.

(c) Sells or gives any firearm to any narcotic  
    addict.

(d) Sells or gives any firearm to any person who has  
    been convicted of a felony under the laws of this or any other jurisdiction.

(e) Sells or gives any firearm to any person who has  
    been a patient in a mental hospital within the past 5 years.

(f) Sells or gives any firearms to any person who is  
    mentally retarded.

(g) Delivers any firearm of a size which may be  
    concealed upon the person, incidental to a sale, without withholding delivery of such firearm for at least 72 hours after application for its purchase has been made, or delivers any rifle, shotgun or other long gun, incidental to a sale, without withholding delivery of such rifle, shotgun or other long gun for at least 24 hours after application for its purchase has been made. However, this paragraph (g) does not apply to: (1) the sale of a firearm to a law enforcement officer if the seller of the firearm knows that the person to whom he or she is selling the firearm is a law enforcement officer or the sale of a firearm to a person who desires to purchase a firearm for use in promoting the public interest incident to his or her employment as a bank guard, armed truck guard, or other similar employment; (2) a mail order sale of a firearm to a nonresident of Illinois under which the firearm is mailed to a point outside the boundaries of Illinois; (3) the sale of a firearm to a nonresident of Illinois while at a firearm showing or display recognized by the Illinois Department of State Police; or (4) the sale of a firearm to a dealer licensed as a federal firearms dealer under Section 923 of the federal Gun Control Act of 1968 (18 U.S.C. 923). For purposes of this paragraph (g), "application" means when the buyer and seller reach an agreement to purchase a firearm.  

(h) While holding any license as a dealer, importer,  
    manufacturer or pawnbroker under the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, manufactures, sells or delivers to any unlicensed person a handgun having a barrel, slide, frame or receiver which is a die casting of zinc alloy or any other nonhomogeneous metal which will melt or deform at a temperature of less than 800 degrees Fahrenheit. For purposes of this paragraph, (1) "firearm" is defined as in the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act; and (2) "handgun" is defined as a firearm designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand, and includes a combination of parts from which such a firearm can be assembled.

(i) Sells or gives a firearm of any size to any  
    person under 18 years of age who does not possess a valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card.

(j) Sells or gives a firearm while engaged in the  
    business of selling firearms at wholesale or retail without being licensed as a federal firearms dealer under Section 923 of the federal Gun Control Act of 1968 (18 U.S.C. 923). In this paragraph (j):

A person "engaged in the business" means a person  
    who devotes time, attention, and labor to engaging in the activity as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit, but does not include a person who makes occasional repairs of firearms or who occasionally fits special barrels, stocks, or trigger mechanisms to firearms.

"With the principal objective of livelihood and  
    profit" means that the intent underlying the sale or disposition of firearms is predominantly one of obtaining livelihood and pecuniary gain, as opposed to other intents, such as improving or liquidating a personal firearms collection; however, proof of profit shall not be required as to a person who engages in the regular and repetitive purchase and disposition of firearms for criminal purposes or terrorism.

(k) Sells or transfers ownership of a firearm to a  
    person who does not display to the seller or transferor of the firearm a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card that has previously been issued in the transferee's name by the Department of State Police under the provisions of the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. This paragraph (k) does not apply to the transfer of a firearm to a person who is exempt from the requirement of possessing a Firearm Owner's Identification Card under Section 2 of the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. For the purposes of this Section, a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card means (i) a Firearm Owner's Identification Card that has not expired or (ii) if the transferor is licensed as a federal firearms dealer under Section 923 of the federal Gun Control Act of 1968 (18 U.S.C. 923), an approval number issued in accordance with Section 3.1 of the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act shall be proof that the Firearm Owner's Identification Card was valid.

(B) Paragraph (h) of subsection (A) does not include firearms sold within 6 months after enactment of Public Act 78‑355 (approved August 21, 1973, effective October 1, 1973), nor is any firearm legally owned or possessed by any citizen or purchased by any citizen within 6 months after the enactment of Public Act 78‑355 subject to confiscation or seizure under the provisions of that Public Act. Nothing in Public Act 78‑355 shall be construed to prohibit the gift or trade of any firearm if that firearm was legally held or acquired within 6 months after the enactment of that Public Act.
   (C) Sentence.
       (1) Any person convicted of unlawful sale of  
    firearms in violation of any of paragraphs (c) through (h) of subsection (A) commits a Class 4 felony.

(2) Any person convicted of unlawful sale of  
    firearms in violation of paragraph (b) or (i) of subsection (A) commits a Class 3 felony.

(3) Any person convicted of unlawful sale of  
    firearms in violation of paragraph (a) of subsection (A) commits a Class 2 felony.

(4) Any person convicted of unlawful sale of  
    firearms in violation of paragraph (a), (b), or (i) of subsection (A) in any school, on the real property comprising a school, within 1,000 feet of the real property comprising a school, at a school related activity, or on or within 1,000 feet of any conveyance owned, leased, or contracted by a school or school district to transport students to or from school or a school related activity, regardless of the time of day or time of year at which the offense was committed, commits a Class 1 felony. Any person convicted of a second or subsequent violation of unlawful sale of firearms in violation of paragraph (a), (b), or (i) of subsection (A) in any school, on the real property comprising a school, within 1,000 feet of the real property comprising a school, at a school related activity, or on or within 1,000 feet of any conveyance owned, leased, or contracted by a school or school district to transport students to or from school or a school related activity, regardless of the time of day or time of year at which the offense was committed, commits a Class 1 felony for which the sentence shall be a term of imprisonment of no less than 5 years and no more than 15 years.

(5) Any person convicted of unlawful sale of  
    firearms in violation of paragraph (a) or (i) of subsection (A) in residential property owned, operated, or managed by a public housing agency or leased by a public housing agency as part of a scattered site or mixed‑income development, in a public park, in a courthouse, on residential property owned, operated, or managed by a public housing agency or leased by a public housing agency as part of a scattered site or mixed‑income development, on the real property comprising any public park, on the real property comprising any courthouse, or on any public way within 1,000 feet of the real property comprising any public park, courthouse, or residential property owned, operated, or managed by a public housing agency or leased by a public housing agency as part of a scattered site or mixed‑income development commits a Class 2 felony.

(6) Any person convicted of unlawful sale of  
    firearms in violation of paragraph (j) of subsection (A) commits a Class A misdemeanor. A second or subsequent violation is a Class 4 felony.

(7) Any person convicted of unlawful sale of firearms  
    in violation of paragraph (k) of subsection (A) commits a Class 4 felony. A third or subsequent conviction for a violation of paragraph (k) of subsection (A) is a Class 1 felony.  

(D) For purposes of this Section:
   "School" means a public or private elementary or secondary school, community college, college, or university.
   "School related activity" means any sporting, social, academic, or other activity for which students' attendance or participation is sponsored, organized, or funded in whole or in part by a school or school district.
   (E) A prosecution for a violation of paragraph (k) of subsection (A) of this Section may be commenced within 6 years after the commission of the offense. A prosecution for a violation of this Section other than paragraph (g) of subsection (A) of this Section may be commenced within 5 years after the commission of the offense defined in the particular paragraph.
(Source: P.A. 93‑162, eff. 7‑10‑03; 93‑906, eff. 8‑11‑04; 94‑284, eff. 7‑21‑05.)

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:38:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Now that we've got that out of the way, my IM box is empty for anyone that wants a C&R firearm.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:40:53 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Now that we've got that out of the way, my IM box is empty for anyone that wants a C&R firearm.

Whys that ?

Are you a C&R dealer now ?

JR
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:35:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:23:01 AM EDT
[#28]
I took the round about way up to Smoking Hole yesterday. Stopped by Krebs Custom 1st. Mmmm pistol griped 308 Saiga's, I want one!!! Handled a prototype AK that will revolutionize AK use in 3 gun competitions.

Smoke N Gun (closed Sundays) had 3 K98's, one @ $219 and 2 @ $299. The cheap bastard that I am I looked at the $219 one. Pulled the bolt and checked out the rifling, bore look nice and sharp. Dirty but sharp. Stock was kinda beat up but not aweful. Not sure if the numbers are supposed to match on K98's, this one didn't. Blueing looked good and rifle had loads of waffenstamps(wrong word) on it. The stamps were an eagle over a ball. The swastika's were removed.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:55:16 AM EDT
[#29]
WOW, thanks for the foot work Drobs.    I gotta check that out.

I just emailed GAT's.  They'll order whatever you want, with a down payment.   I saw that Coles Dist. has K98s arsenal refinished for about 199 to FFL...figure another 100 markup and you get to 299 at that place in Waukegan.

(i found that arsenal refinished might included a proper headspacing per a mosin i handled) - nothing like a case head seperation to ruin a good face - not like 38 super face - but darned close.  

Cool.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:59:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Is there a website for Cole's?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#31]
the web site  is

http://coledistributing.com/

but it doesn't seem to be well updated.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:01:08 PM EDT
[#32]
just looked at Cole's website...what a turn off - k98s missing screws for 199!!! ack!

groan - always remember to keep your websites updated guys -
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:30:53 PM EDT
[#33]
No problem, got nothing better to do on Saturdays than go on the Gun store circuit.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:03:18 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
the web site  is

http://coledistributing.com/

but it doesn't seem to be well updated.

Danke!

98-K
#RFL02
Size 1
Price: $0.00

Now, that's a good price!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:21:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Coles wesite blows a little.

You gotta check our their SGN add for current deals.

hanging out here is not a bad idea.

gunboards.com/forums/

Good dealers here.

www.gunsnammo.com/  For antique ( no ffl) Finish M39s

www.samcoglobal.com/rifles.html

www.sarcoinc.com/guns.html

For Egyptian mausers and other C&R's
www.classicarms.us/

www.allans-armory.com/aa.asp

And mainstay, www.empirearms.com/

JR

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:33:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top