Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2006 10:55:53 PM EDT
I know patriot73 wanted to go, and I have a crewcab truck, so if we're going to CMP to pick up some rifles, let's go on a Saturday and we can plan another blast/ice fest for the Sunday afterwards, what do y'all think?

I'm itchin to pick up a Garand and maybe another crate of ammo, and just generally check out the CMP store.

CCW is encouraged as we'll be leaving this Commune and visiting TWO free states in order to visit the CMP store!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:27:40 AM EDT
Tag!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:29:10 PM EDT
Damn, I wouldn't mind taking a trip out there, but I am busted broke. Good luck fellas. Get while the picking is good. CMP is gonna run out eventually.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:12:40 PM EDT
I'm busted broke too, but I'm trying to get people to help me spend money I don't have. This requires moral support.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:34:52 AM EDT
I don't know any of you personally so this is going to be weird as fuck, but if I can bring the paperwork there and smack it down in front of them and then bring my rifle home, this could work well.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:28:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Illinigunner21:
I don't know any of you personally so this is going to be weird as fuck, but if I can bring the paperwork there and smack it down in front of them and then bring my rifle home, this could work well.

You absolutely can do that, without a problem. Supposing there was a problem with that, my (03)FFL would end that quickly...but nobody has had problems before.

You're more than welcome to come.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:32:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Tim84K10:
Supposing there was a problem with that, my (03)FFL would end that quickly.

How can that help with the CMP??

JR
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:24:00 AM EDT
There won't be any problems so long as you guys download and print off the forms from their website.

You'll need to be a member of some approved gun-related organization (ISRA is good enough).

Then make sure you have your FOID with you because that suffices for shooting experience (for some reason they treat it as a CCW insofar as it shows you have some competence).

Also, I think a passport and/or a driver's license are necessary. I'm not sure if both are requried, check the application.

Finally, and probably the most important thing, remember to get your application notorized. You are probably best doing this in IL, rather than trying to find a notory in Ohio.

One last tip: If you remember to ask them for it, they will give you a free gun lock for each rifle you purchase.

Tim, and others who are CCW'ing there...the guards at the front gate may ask if you have any weapons in the car, and they may require you to check them at the front. When I went last year, they did not. Even if you are carrying, I don't think carrying into the CMP warehouse building itself is wise.

IM me if you guys have any other questions.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:29:08 AM EDT
Can Illinois residents really go to CMP and leave with a rifle same day?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:05:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2006 10:07:01 AM EDT by silascobb]
Yes, you can. I've seen it done personally.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:53:39 AM EDT
Silas

I was just thinking about the Notary.

Would you really need it notarized if you went there? All the notary does is verify that you were the person to sign the application when you are mailing it. If you have ID and other requirements handled shouldn't you be able to sign it at the CMP in front of them.

JR
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:00:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2006 1:10:25 PM EDT by silascobb]
I'm not sure. You may be correct. Your reasoning seems logical enough. However, I had mine notorized beforehand, so obviously I didn't run into any problems. (They may have a notary on staff too).

If you want, you can email this guy -- Mike Conrad -- at the CMP, he was very helpful and responsive: mconrad@odcmp.com.

BTW, I dug up my old email exchange with him back in April of 2005:

Sir, in answer to your questions:
1. Yes, your "FOID" card, is sufficient to satisfy the marksmanship requirement. Please bring it with you.
2. Yes, please bring the order form, along with proof of citizenship, proof of club membership, and your FOID card., and your paperwork will be processed here, on site.
3. As long as you have all the required paperwork, and pass the NICS Instant check, yes, you will be able to take your purchase with you, when you leave.
4. Yes, sir, the US Springfield, Service Grade, and the Danish Service grade, are out of stock, here at the North Store. We do, however, have the Greek Springfield, and HRA Service grades. [out of date] It might be wise, a day or two, before you come, to call, and confirm stocks. Please call, 419-635-2141, ext 1115, for the store.
5. Yes, the store hours are: Tuesday-Saturday, 8:30-3:30.

Mike Conrad
Sales
Civilian Marksmanship Program
Phone-(419)635-2141 Ext 1124
Fax-(419)635-2802
Email - mconrad@odcmp.com

ETA: Here's the website showing what they have in stock in Ohio: www.odcmp.com/Store.htm

ETA2: Unless you plan on reloading .30-06, make sure you pick up enough ammo. The first time I went I only bought one case of .30-06 and that only lasted me three months -- course I had three rifles. The next time I went back I bought three cases. There is really no other good source for cheap M2 ball with the correct specs for M1 Garands other than the CMP and the non-corrosive PS headstamped Korean.

With the CMP you can save on shipping if you pick it up in person, plus you are not stuck ordering by the case like you would if you were ordering online. i.e. in person you can order by the can (4 cans per case).
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:02:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2006 4:03:43 PM EDT by Tim84K10]

Originally Posted By racecar:

Supposing there was a problem with that, my (03)FFL would end that quickly.

How can that help with the CMP??

JR

Because I can buy as many firearms as they'll sell me with no waiting period with my FFL. There has never been a problem with CMP before, though.

I need another case of ammo too, I'm down to one can and I don't even have a semi-auto rifle in .30-06 yet.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:04:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By silascobb:
Tim, and others who are CCW'ing there...the guards at the front gate may ask if you have any weapons in the car, and they may require you to check them at the front. When I went last year, they did not. Even if you are carrying, I don't think carrying into the CMP warehouse building itself is wise.

Concealed means concealed!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:03:21 PM EDT

PMITA prison means PMITA prison, too.

I don't know whether Ohio (even assuming you have reciprocity there) allows landowners to forbid possession on their property. That area could also be federally or state owned land as well. I think the NRA owns it but I am not sure. Maybe you know something I don't.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:45:00 PM EDT

PMITA prison means PMITA prison, too.

Damn man, you've got jokes all over today.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:10:42 PM EDT

You may not carry a loaded firearm on that military base. Concealed or not. You may be able to get away with it, but why risk it when you can just unload it and put it in your trunk before entering the base.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:48:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By npd233:

You may not carry a loaded firearm on that military base. Concealed or not. You may be able to get away with it, but why risk it when you can just unload it and put it in your trunk before entering the base.

So I take it you're not going with us?

The subject of this thread is going to the CMP store and buying rifles and ammo to bring home. Let's leave the legal discussion elsewhere.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:52:37 PM EDT
I'm in.. and I'm bringing a friend who already owns a Garand too most likely.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:40:20 AM EDT

So I take it you're not going with us?

The subject of this thread is going to the CMP store and buying rifles and ammo to bring home. Let's leave the legal discussion elsewhere.

You brought it up, Mr. Legal Eagle. If heeding my advice keeps you from getting arrested by the MP's there, you'll thank me. I'm prevented from accompanying ya'll on this trip because I've got to work this weekend. If I did, I'd be locking up my gun in the trunk before hitting the front gate, though.

If you travel on base, you are covered under the 1984 protection act if the weapon is unloaded, cased, and in the trunk. You're CCW is not honored unless the base CO signs a written order honoring it. I've never even heard of that being done. The base CO usually writes an order that covers on duty law enforcement in uniform, and CID or NCIS and the like. You are not allowed to store a personal weapon in the barracks. You may store them in the armory, but the procedure is always long and tedious. Don't do it. If you live in base housing, you may store a weapon on base if the CO permits, but you will have to register it with the base MP's. Bottom line, if you have a concelaed weapon with you and are going on the base, unload it, leave the ammo in the passenger compartment, and store the weapon in the trunk. You have no right against searches on the base. The sign posted at the gates will notify you that under 10 title code USC sec 52, entrance on the base constitutes consent to search of yourself and property under your control. You can't get around that, but remember, you are covered with transporting the firearm locked in the trunk, as long as you are allowed to possess it at your destination. If that includes an authorized shooting activity on the base (i.e. Camp Perry, the interservice rifle matches on Quantico, various shooting matches, etc.) you will be informed at your destination when you can remove your weapon from the vehicle.
Quote from Packing.org

Carry at your own risk. Should I call ahead and let them know you'll be exercising your 2nd Amendment rights?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:42:20 AM EDT

[SNIP] Should I call ahead and let them know you'll be exercising your 2nd Amendment rights?

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:07:14 AM EDT
Alright well this one is done guys. I'm taking it to PM.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:08:31 AM EDT
Sorry guys, I wanted to go but cant make it!
Good luck!

P.S. Tim did you ever get that Picture from Saturday?
I can host it if you need me to, just Email it to me and I will take care of it!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:25:20 PM EDT
Well for everyone's sake I hope there are some awesome looking rifles in stock at the store. And I wish I could go.
Top Top