Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/7/2006 8:11:01 PM EDT
Didn't want to post this in the general zoo area. You guys here have been kind to me before.

Some of you may remember me from before Christmas. My girlfriend is undergoing cancer treatment in Joliet now. We were supposed to buzz in/buzz out around Christmas. Well, she got there and her cancer returned and she was diagnosed with stage 4 something carcinoma, and it went to her lymph system. She had a bilateral radical mastectomy and is still doing chemo. She is waiting for the reconstruction phase and her doc wants her to have a complete hysterectomy like right now.

She is determined to stay in the area until this whole thing is completed. We were planning on returning to AZ together as I was in Ohio for 2 years taking care of Grampa after his stroke and dementia. I have had my life on hold for the past 2 years. Now this.

So, girlfriend is refusing to return to AZ for treatment at the number 2 rated cancer center in the country, possibly the world. And she wants me to come be with her in Joliet for the next 3-5 months for support.

I don't want to offend any of you, but I hate IL probably more than California. And I really hate that place.

Since I won't be taking any rifles with me, the only thing I own that would possibly be legal there would be my P220. That will be coming with me. Any local laws be damned. Don't care. Since I won't be a resident, not going to worry about a FOID issue. I may or may not carry, it will be at my discretion and I'll be willing to accept the ramifications for my actions.

Problem is I will be going through withdrawals from not being able to shoot. Do you guys have outings when the weather permits? Maybe you all could take pity on a poor refugee who misses his black rifles. Maybe I could sneak across the border to IN to shoot.

Anyway, I really can't tell her I won't come and support her, but I will lose a pretty laid back and cool job, the income, my firearms freedoms, most of my hobbies and be dumped into a liberal bastion of hell. No offense to my brothers stuck behind the lines.

How bad is it in the area? I really won't be a resident as she has a trust fund and we'll be staying in a transient cancer treatment housing center. So, I won't need to get a job.

I really have to go, but I've been away from AZ for almost two years and away from my hobbies and now I'm back to the same thing.

Anyway, thanks for looking and any responses.

Alan
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:25:36 PM EDT
well i don't have much advice but i wouldn't definately support her and stay with her b/c that is a huge deal....and i'm not offended at all by u hating IL more than cali....hell i would love to live in cali over this fucking retard of a state...not b/c i don't love central IL asside from the weather but b/c of the state of chicago...and oh joliet is damn near part of the state of chicago...so i say g/l to you my friend and i hope your g/f gets the treatment she needs and lives a long happy life
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:26:07 PM EDT
I'm sure the northern brothers will be able to hook you up at one of their Buffalo Range trips, they seem like a good bunch, though I've not had the opportunity to meet any of them yet. If for some reason you find yourself down near Champaign, give me a holler and you'll be more than welcome to throw lead downrange with my stuff any day.

Best of luck to you and yours, hope your gf gets well soon.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:42:38 AM EDT
I'm from Joliet area. Where is she getting treated? Unless it's something special like Loyola or University of Chicago. I would get her ass back to AZ asap. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the two hospitals in Joliet are nothing special. There ok for broken bones and non critial stuff. If I had something serious I would go any where but there....

I think you have bigger fish to fry that worry about shooting.

Good luck,
Jayme....
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:46:57 AM EDT
I'm a member of a shooting club that's not far from Joliet. We have monthly IDPA and USPSA shoots if that's the kind of thing you like. IM me for more info.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:18:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:34:36 PM EDT

Since I won't be taking any rifles with me, the only thing I own that would possibly be legal there would be my P220.

Are all your rifles full auto or sbr? If your rifles do not fall under the NFA then they are legal in Il.

As a non-resident you do not need a foid card. When traveling just make sure they are cased and ammo is in seperate container. What's the big deal?

If you have to live hear for a few months bring your non NFA toys. I think you would enjoy Buffalo range.

Your girlfriend is in my prayers.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:41:00 PM EDT
I cant offer any advise, but I can offer prayers and will do so. Good luck to you both.
Top Top