Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2006 6:18:52 PM EDT
I have an online friend that lives in Tinley Park and is joining the Marines next year.  He's never handled an evil black rifle, though, and would like to become familiar with field stripping it, safely handling it, and firing it.  I told him that he would receive excellent training on the M16, but he still really wants to get a bit of experience.  He's only shot two other rifles before, a .22 and one that he doesn't know what it was...

Is there anyone here that would be willing to take this future Marine out shooting?  He would need someone that's willing to start with the basics.  I think that military training would be a big plus, but not necessary.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:34:21 PM EDT
[#1]
best of luck
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:09:08 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have an online friend that lives in Tinley Park and is joining the Marines next year.  He's never handled an evil black rifle, though, and would like to become familiar with field stripping it, safely handling it, and firing it.  I told him that he would receive excellent training on the M16, but he still really wants to get a bit of experience.  He's only shot two other rifles before, a .22 and one that he doesn't know what it was...

Is there anyone here that would be willing to take this future Marine out shooting?  He would need someone that's willing to start with the basics.  I think that military training would be a big plus, but not necessary.

Do your friend a favor, don't send him to boot camp "knowing something." His DI will pt him until he yacks.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:51:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Patriot is is right to a certain extent, the green ones are easier to train.

We should be having a "Blastfest" once Buffalo Range is open. There are plenty of us that would be happy to show him the manual of arms and let him run a few mags through our guns.

Just have him (or you) moniter the board for the next get together and he can meet up with us at the range. If he wants to hang out with me thats cool, I'll introduce him to the folks I know from the board.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:20:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Do your friend a favor, don't send him to boot camp "knowing something." His DI will pt him until he yacks.

That's only about 1/2 true.  They didn't care that I knew how to disassemble the M16 when I want to basic.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:52:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I am the friend he speaks of!  I'm a Senior in college, I attend Eastern Illinois University, and I'm an applicant to the Marine Corps Officer Candidate Class.  I want nothing more but to be a Marine Corps Officer after graduation.

I was looking at my options of getting some experience behind a rifle before attending OCC (including buying or renting a rifle), and DaTrueDave suggested asking around for people willing to help out a future Marine.  I realise that OCC (and TBS in the future) will teach me all I will ever want and need to know, but I would love to get some trigger time in to be more "comfortable" behind a gun.  I've fired rifles a total of twice in my life, on two occasions.  Any other gun I've used either started with "Bee Bee" or "Paintball".  Being comfortable and confident behind a rifle seems like a good trait to square away before the training, plus its one hell of a motivator.

I would appreciate and love to come out to a local range (either up in Tinley Park, or close to Charleston) for the opportunity to shoot the AR15 with an experienced friend-to-be.  By no means am I begging or looking for handouts, and I'm sure I can come up with some sort of compensation for your time (either with buying ammunition, or doing yard work... IM A POOR COLLEGE STUDENT!) DaTrueDave is an awesome guy, thanks for helping me with this.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:03:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
We should be having a "Blastfest" once Buffalo Range is open. There are plenty of us that would be happy to show him the manual of arms and let him run a few mags through our guns.

+1
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:31:18 AM EDT
[#7]
If I am at the next BlastFest, you are welcome to try any of my AR's!

Just keep the end that goes boom towards the range while handling them!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:42:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Contact the Aurora Sportsmens Club. Run him through their high power rifle clinic. It is excellent training, mostly geared towards CMP shooting. ASC regularly provides rifles, ammo free training for local ROTC groups that have nowhere to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:19:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I am the friend he speaks of!  I'm a Senior in college, I attend Eastern Illinois University, and I'm an applicant to the Marine Corps Officer Candidate Class.  I want nothing more but to be a Marine Corps Officer after graduation.

I was looking at my options of getting some experience behind a rifle before attending OCC (including buying or renting a rifle), and DaTrueDave suggested asking around for people willing to help out a future Marine.  I realise that OCC (and TBS in the future) will teach me all I will ever want and need to know, but I would love to get some trigger time in to be more "comfortable" behind a gun.  I've fired rifles a total of twice in my life, on two occasions.  Any other gun I've used either started with "Bee Bee" or "Paintball".  Being comfortable and confident behind a rifle seems like a good trait to square away before the training, plus its one hell of a motivator.

I would appreciate and love to come out to a local range (either up in Tinley Park, or close to Charleston) for the opportunity to shoot the AR15 with an experienced friend-to-be.  By no means am I begging or looking for handouts, and I'm sure I can come up with some sort of compensation for your time (either with buying ammunition, or doing yard work... IM A POOR COLLEGE STUDENT!) DaTrueDave is an awesome guy, thanks for helping me with this.

I'm way up here in Schaumburg, but if you wanted to make the trip up here there is a indoor range at Gun World. It's a total hole in the wall but better than nothing. It would have to be on a Sunday as I work every other day of the week.

I'd be happy to show you all I know about the weapon (Bushmaster M4gery) and let you put as many rounds down range as you would like. (no compensation required. I am happy to help out a future Marine)

Be advised, I'm no expert, have no military training and have only moderate experience with the weapon. I can show you how to field strip it , how to safely operate it and get you whatever trigger time you would like. Without being condescending, I'd ask that we sit down for a bit and talk safety before we do anything.

Let me know. I'm happy to help if I can.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:42:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Ditto. I am going up to McMiller on the 18th of March. It is aways away, but there is a 100 yard range. I can teach you around the AR system. Just make it to Naperville early in the morning. Me and my buddy will could teach you some BRM (Basic Rifle Marksmanship) pointers.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:56:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I want to thank everyone for the offers.  I knew arfcom wouldn't let me down!

And the suggestion to get involved in High Power Competition (Signal4L) is a very good one, as it's the same type of competition that the Marine Corps has every year.  I understand that they also have a Lieutenant's Match at Quantico regularly.  It's also using the same types of skill that will be taught in the USMC marksmanship training.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:10:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow, Thanks guys!

So many offers!  As soon as I figure out what my break will be like (this 10th to the 19th), Ill shoot off some messages.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:33:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I am in Ofallon IL and would be glad to get you some trigger time and let you clean my rifle.hehehe
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:06:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey Squeak  I think it would help you if you would pick up the book,  Guidebook for Marines  . Any surplus store should have a copy for sale. Along with basic knowledge, it has info on the M16- A1 rifle , upper receiver , lower receiver, and bolt group, descriptions, how to disassemble , clean, and care for your weapon.  You are more than welcome to fire my AR at the next blast fest.    Mike        USMC     78-83
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:35:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I am in Ofallon IL and would be glad to get you some trigger time and let you clean my rifle.hehehe

Ah, yes, an added bonus!  He definitely should become familiar with that!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:47:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Squeak, bravo on wanting to get some time behind the gun. Im sure your DI's wount care you got experince but will feel alot better when they see your comfortable. I'm sure theres alot of rifles that you could clean. I don't  need any of mine done but I got some mud covered mags you could clean.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:50:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Hey, Squeak, I hope this worked for you...
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:09:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Still securing funds for ammo.  Hell, I haven't even figured out where all these ranges are located :)

I'm going out with my Cousin this weekend, hopefully, for some basics.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:36:45 PM EDT
[#19]
well .. if he can realize bustin out o know how attitide wiil get his butt busted to swabing the head with his pubes..   the know how might just get him in rifle core.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:35:54 AM EDT
[#20]
OK, if you were going to let me shoot your rifle and I had to supply the ammo, what brand would you prefer?

I'm looking for a general consensus (and I'm looking at cheaperthandirt.com to order).  I've heard several Ar15 fans HATE wolf, but are there any other taboo brands I should not purchase if Ill be firing on YOUR gun?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:44:18 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
OK, if you were going to let me shoot your rifle and I had to supply the ammo, what brand would you prefer?

I'm looking for a general consensus (and I'm looking at cheaperthandirt.com to order).  I've heard several Ar15 fans HATE wolf, but are there any other taboo brands I should not purchase if Ill be firing on YOUR gun?

Wolf is cheapest if you are allowed to shoot it. Note that some indoor ranges won't let you use it, due to the steel in the bullet, and some people don't like shooting it in their rifles. Get more info about the rules where you're going before you buy anything.

As a suggestion, rather than spending $$$ on shipping, how about getting some Winchester USA at Wal-Mart? It's about $8 for 40 rounds, always goes bang, and it's brass cased, with no steel in the bullet. Again, check the rules where you're headed, but USA is good to go for blasting ammo, in my book.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top