Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2006 2:34:07 PM EDT
House Amendment No. 9 Recommends Be Adopted Executive Committee; 009-003-000

whats this mean ?? link below

www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocTypeID=HB&DocNum=2414&GAID=8&SessionID=50&LegID=17433
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:42:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, you are either asking:
(1) what is House Amendment 9 mean?
or
(2) what does the entry "House Amendment No. 9 Recommends Be Adopted Executive Committee; 009-003-000" mean.

I'll presume you are asking (2).   It means that Amendement 9 which is in committee right now (the Executive Committee) has been recommended to be adopted and added to the actual bill that is going to be voted on by the full House.  

(Although technically, Amendment 9 its not "adding" anything.  It's really deleting the originally proposed bill and replacing it with another version):

Amend House Bill 2414, AS AMENDED, by replacing everything after the enacting clause with the following:

Amendment 9
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:09:57 PM EDT
[#2]
The house needs to vote for adoption of the amendment. and if so adopted, Then that would be come the bill, and then they would vote on the bill immediately after the house adopts the amendment.

They must feel they have the votes on the floor for the adoption.

I'm not sure how many they need to vote yes for the adoption to pass,  I think it's 60 for passage of the bill itself.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:45:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Well, you are either asking:
(1) what is House Amendment 9 mean?
or
(2) what does the entry "House Amendment No. 9 Recommends Be Adopted Executive Committee; 009-003-000" mean.

I'll presume you are asking (2).   It means that Amendement 9 which is in committee right now (the Executive Committee) has been recommended to be adopted and added to the actual bill that is going to be voted on by the full House.  

(Although technically, Amendment 9 its not "adding" anything.  It's really deleting the originally proposed bill and replacing it with another version):

Amend House Bill 2414, AS AMENDED, by replacing everything after the enacting clause with the following:

Amendment 9

ya sorry about that iam at work and got side tracked as i was typing..
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:23:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like they mean to pass this bill.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:58:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Just got off the phone with my Representatives machine and left a message to please vote against this bill and help defeat this ridiculous rubbish.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:00:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Sounds like they mean to pass this bill.

They the anti's, are trying to pull all the stops out that would stop the bill. If someone would say it would out law "purple" weapons. They would have an amendment to allow purple weapons.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:29:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Any legislative experts here?

This is house rule #42

(c) A bill on the Consent Calendar shall stand for 2 legislative days on the order of Consent Calendar ‑ Second Reading, and for at least 2 legislative days on the order of Consent Calendar ‑ Third Reading, before a vote on the final passage may be taken. Resolutions on the Consent Calendar shall stand for at least 4 legislative days before a vote on adoption may be taken. One record vote on final passage shall be taken on those bills called for final passage. Immediately before a vote on the bills on the Consent Calendar, the Presiding Officer shall call to the attention of the members the fact that the next legislative action will be the vote on the Consent Calendar

Does this mean that since it's still on the Calendar under second reading, that it has to move to third reading and be there for two days before it can be voted on, which means it can't be voted on tomorrow?

That's the way I read it, but there's usually so many ifs, ands, or buts somewhere else in the rules that I'm never sure.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:11:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Any legislative experts here?

This is house rule #42

(c) A bill on the Consent Calendar shall stand for 2 legislative days on the order of Consent Calendar ‑ Second Reading, and for at least 2 legislative days on the order of Consent Calendar ‑ Third Reading, before a vote on the final passage may be taken. Resolutions on the Consent Calendar shall stand for at least 4 legislative days before a vote on adoption may be taken. One record vote on final passage shall be taken on those bills called for final passage. Immediately before a vote on the bills on the Consent Calendar, the Presiding Officer shall call to the attention of the members the fact that the next legislative action will be the vote on the Consent Calendar

Does this mean that since it's still on the Calendar under second reading, that it has to move to third reading and be there for two days before it can be voted on, which means it can't be voted on tomorrow?

That's the way I read it, but there's usually so many ifs, ands, or buts somewhere else in the rules that I'm never sure.

They can suspend the house rules with a voice vote (in the opinion of the chair the Ayes have it despite a chorus of no's) and move it to third then conduct a vote.

Or so I've been told.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:32:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Any Updates?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:36:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Any Updates?

I've been watching the video feed all day, haven't seen anything yet.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:42:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Any Updates?

I've been watching the video feed all day, haven't seen anything yet.

dito
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:57:02 PM EDT
[#12]
dito, dito!

What you all think about what Rep Black said in response to Graham's remark about the vice president?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:02:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Doesn't this thing "expire" today?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:24:28 PM EDT
[#14]
nothing was done with this today...

what this means i dont know
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:30:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Under house rule 9b, the speaker can extend the bills date to what he or she so decides.  A few hours from now, we could know. Be sure and check the bill status after midnight. It should be updated by then.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:34:55 PM EDT
[#16]
tag
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:30:18 PM EDT
[#17]
any political savy peps out there that can help us out here???

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:54:25 PM EDT
[#18]
As a concerned neighbor, tagging in for updates.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:06:00 PM EDT
[#19]
per isra...............................

Springfield Report for March 3

Today the deadline passed for "Substantive Bills." HB2414, the semi-auto ban, was one of those bills. We can count that as a victory at least temporarily. Substantive Bills are those with descriptive language in them. Shell bills have no language so there was no deadline for them.

A shell bill could be amended and HB2414 could be back. They did not call HB2414 because we had them beat hands down. Next week the House of Representatives is out. I'm sure they will be regrouping.

I'm sure if the Mayor and his cronies think they have half a chance we will see HB2414 again.

I have been told that I do not trust some people in Springfield. That would be correct.

Richard Pearson
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:06:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top