Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2006 10:23:19 PM EDT
Hey guys can you carry a firearm in shawnee forest? I will be heading down there in september to do some camping. Just wondering. JC
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:31:36 PM EDT
[#1]
 Yes, you can carry and shoot in Shawnee.  Shawnee, being  federally owned, is not subject to state laws.
  You can't shoot within 250 ft of roads of public buildings.    If you are camping at a public camp ground I would be dicreet with firearms so not to scare the sheeple.       Other than that, walk out into the  forest fond a nice clearing and shoot away.      
 Folks who live along the border of Shawnee  enjoy the states biigest range and it's free.
   You don't have to camp at a camp ground either. You  can hike and camp in the forest for up to two weeks before you need a permit.    

When are you planning to go?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:58:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the place is called bald knob.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:58:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
 Yes, you can carry and shoot in Shawnee.  Shawnee, being  federally owned, is not subject to state laws.
  You can't shoot within 250 ft of roads of public buildings.    If you are camping at a public camp ground I would be dicreet with firearms so not to scare the sheeple.       Other than that, walk out into the  forest fond a nice clearing and shoot away.      
 Folks who live along the border of Shawnee  enjoy the states biigest range and it's free.
   You don't have to camp at a camp ground either. You  can hike and camp in the forest for up to two weeks before you need a permit.    

You can carry only in conjunction with licensed hunting activities. That's it. IL statutes certainly DO apply within the forest. This has been discussed at length in this forum before.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:09:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can carry only in conjunction with licensed hunting activities. That's it. IL statutes certainly DO apply within the forest. This has been discussed at length in this forum before.

That is not what I've been told by the consevation officers in that area.    But being one of Napervilles finest,you are in the position to be much more knowledgable than I am.   If I have given out faulty info then I retract my previous post.    I did not intend to give out false info.        I was raised in the area,still get down there several times a year. Done a lot of shooting in Shawnee.  The only grief I've gotten from consevation officers was  being told to be carefull.  Sometimes ignorance is bliss
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:50:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
That is not what I've been told by the consevation officers in that area.  

Well, they're probably less afraid of armed citizens than your average Cook County democrat. Sounds like they're hinting that unless something obvious came to their attention, they wouldn't be looking to enforce any laws prohibiting carry. YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:38:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Ok, yesterday I e-mailed the mailroom for Shawnee about carring and using firearms in the forest. this is the rsponse I recieved.

Open carry of firearms is allowed in the forest.  If you are hunting you
must abide by all the Illinois Department of Natural Resources
(www.dnr.state.il.us) hunting rules and regulations.

<[email protected]>      

I hope this clears up any missunderstanding.    Like I said, I have been told by several consevation officers that it is legal to carry and use firearms in the forest as long as you  follow common since firearm rules and keep the proper distanse from roads and public areas.  

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:58:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ok, yesterday I e-mailed the mailroom for Shawnee about carring and using firearms in the forest. this is the rsponse I recieved.

Open carry of firearms is allowed in the forest.  If you are hunting you
must abide by all the Illinois Department of Natural Resources
(www.dnr.state.il.us) hunting rules and regulations.

<[email protected]>      

I hope this clears up any missunderstanding.    Like I said, I have been told by several consevation officers that it is legal to carry and use firearms in the forest as long as you  follow common since firearm rules and keep the proper distanse from roads and public areas.  

Cool. Maybe because one of the designed uses for the forest is firearms for sporting and hunting purposes makes the carry legal there, just like you're on a public range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top