Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2006 5:51:48 AM EDT
     Alright, Who left their M60 laying around Moline?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Moline police recover M60 machine gun

An M60 military machine gun found by Moline police has prompted an investigation into who might have stolen and rebuilt the weapon.

Last month, police recovered the M60, a tripod base that fits it and numerous rounds of belt-fed ammunition. Authorities also received information that the gun was on the street and being shared by a group of local residents. Several of whom have been cooperating in the investigation.

But police are seeking more information about others who may have been involved. The gun had been cut apart at one point and then illegally welded back together by a person with the necessary expertise and skills, detective Dave Tertipes said.

“This gun is a rarity,” he said, noting that officers who have been on the force 20 or 30 years had never seen one before.

Anyone with information on who initially stole the parts, rebuilt the weapon and had possession of the gun is asked to call Crimestoppers at (309) 762-XXXX. Callers may remain anonymous.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:57:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you live in Moline or surrounding area?

I moved out of Moline a few months ago, and now live across the river.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:06:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I live just up I-88 from Moline and work in Bettendorf.(across from Brenny's...... Almost)
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:45:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Be interesting to know what part of town it was found in.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:59:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I live just up I-88 from Moline and work in Bettendorf.(across from Brenny's...... Almost)

Do you shoot at the Princeton range?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:00:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Damn, that's where I left it. I left it somewhere the other day and to life of I could not find that silly thing.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:46:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No i haven't been there in years. Too many "rookies" whenever i went. I shoot at the Morrison Sportsmans Club. Its close to my house and can be there in 10 min. Makes it nice when i'm working up loads.      
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:49:46 AM EDT
[#7]
At least they haven't found mine yet.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:42:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

i45.photobucket.com/albums/f77/wizzokx/100_0134a.jpg

WIZZO

Bling Bling
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:30:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Somebody gonna be in trouble
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:10:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No i haven't been there in years. Too many "rookies" whenever i went. I shoot at the Morrison Sportsmans Club. Its close to my house and can be there in 10 min. Makes it nice when i'm working up loads.      

To each their own.

I don't mind the rookies, as long as they aren't being dangerous.

What I consider dangerous might not be what you consider dangerous.

I don't mind people shooting at watermelons or microwaves, which some people would
consider dangerous because it isn't a paper target.

So far I haven't seen anyone do anything dangerous, like sweep a muzzle in my direction.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:22:53 PM EDT
[#11]
DAMN!!!! .......they found my stash!!!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:06:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

To each their own.

I don't mind people shooting at watermelons or microwaves, which some people would

So far I haven't seen anyone do anything dangerous, like sweep a muzzle in my direction.

I don't mind people shooting at whatever, hell i think thats fun too.  But, I did have someone sweep me with their muzzle and had seen it happen a few times. Now this was probably 13 years ago.  I would go back but Princeton is quite a ways out of my way. It's just more convienent to go to Morrison. But if you have some ammo you need some help getting rid of, i'll shoot with ya anywhere.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:20:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Was it operational??? IE a dummy gun! this is the big question!  Which I am sure the press left out!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:00:49 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

To each their own.

Last time I was there, we got rained on by shotgun pellets from guys shooting from the skeet area to the right, over the parking lot, at birds flying over the rifle range.  Haven't been back since.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:05:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

WIZZO

Is that the Browning Museum at the Arsenal?  Been a few years since I was there.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:15:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Last time I was there, we got rained on by shotgun pellets from guys shooting from the skeet area to the right, over the parking lot, at birds flying over the rifle range.  Haven't been back since.

Where do you shoot?

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:21:35 AM EDT
[#17]
OT: The folks from the greater QC area should hook up for lunch and tour the arsenal sometime.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:28:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Wow... That is crazy.  cool that someone knows how to do that, but wow.. don't leave that stuff laying around.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:01:24 AM EDT
[#19]
I would definately be into touring the museum, but I'm a little east of the QC.  I did not know that existed.  I also noticed Geneseo is on the way to the arsenal for me, do any of the IL firearms manufacturers have tours?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:10:08 AM EDT
[#20]
I am sure Illinois has a bill out banning any tours of any  firearms manufacturers plants!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:20:43 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I would definately be into touring the museum, but I'm a little east of the QC.  I did not know that existed.  I also noticed Geneseo is on the way to the arsenal for me, do any of the IL firearms manufacturers have tours?

SA does not anymore, but Im not sure about the other big boys.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:21:27 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Wow... That is crazy.  cool that someone knows how to do that, but wow.. don't leave that stuff laying around.

He lives!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:27:54 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WIZZO

Is that the Browning Museum at the Arsenal?  Been a few years since I was there.

Yup.

All sorts of goodies down there........like this.

Quad 50's of goodness

A group ARFcom tour would be fun.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:35:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Cool pic.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:40:27 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where do you shoot?

I have access to a small range on private land now, it's a little more of a drive, but worth it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:13:48 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
OT: The folks from the greater QC area should hook up for lunch and tour the arsenal sometime.

I worked at the Arsenal for 10 years, and never saw the museum until I got laid off.

Oh, and you can't simply drive on the arsenal anymore.  
Security won't allow it.  
Lots of MPs with unloaded automatic rifle at the gates.

edit:  Call the arsenal first.  I'm sure there is probably a way to get on to see the museum.
But you don't just drive in like you used to.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:20:28 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

We (the place I work for) do work for both Armalite and Springfield.

You do not get to tour those places.  Period.
Even with the good terms we are on with Springfield, they won't allow it.

Dave Dorbeck, the director of engineering at Armalite, was going to give me a tour.
But he wasn't doing well and sadly passed away last month.

I know their new engineer, but haven't had the desire to bring it up since Dave's passing.

These companies are virtually unmarked, and unless you knew what they were,
you would never know they were firearm manufacturers when you drove past them.
And that is how they want it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:02:40 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I am sure Illinois has a bill out banning any tours of any  firearms manufacturers plants!

LOL
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:48:54 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I worked at the Arsenal for 10 years, and never saw the museum until I got laid off.

Oh, and you can't simply drive on the arsenal anymore.  
Security won't allow it.  
Lots of MPs with unloaded automatic rifle at the gates.

edit:  Call the arsenal first.  I'm sure there is probably a way to get on to see the museum.
But you don't just drive in like you used to.  

All you do is check in at the guard post. They write down some stuff from your driver's license and you tell them what you're there for. They give you something to hang on your mirror and you're set.

I was just down there a month ago after we went to a Farm show.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:49:02 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WIZZO

Yup.

All sorts of goodies down there........like this.
i45.photobucket.com/albums/f77/wizzokx/100_0150a.jpg

Quad 50's of goodness

A group ARFcom tour would be fun.

WIZZO

I'd be up for that. Keep me posted if you want this to be on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top