Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2006 2:56:07 PM EDT
I'm just wondering if my dear state .gov feels that I am responsible enough to have a rifle with a barrel under 16.1"....

efxguy

edited fer spellin
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:40:50 PM EDT
[#1]
correct.  If you want to  go short, a pistol is your only option.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:41:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm just wondering if my dear state .gov feels that I am can fathom the idea that any of the law-abiding citizenry are responsible enough to have a rifle with a barrel under 16.1"

Fixed it for ya!

In THIS state?

LINK

Sec. 24‑1. Unlawful Use of Weapons.
   (a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly:
(7) Sells, manufactures, purchases, possesses or  
    carries:
          (ii) any rifle having one or more barrels less than 16 inches in length or a shotgun having one or more barrels less than 18 inches in length or any weapon made from a rifle or shotgun, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise, if such a weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches; * * *

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:53:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm just wondering if my dear state .gov feels that I am can fathom the idea that any of the law-abiding citizenry are responsible enough to have a rifle with a barrel under 16.1"

Fixed it for ya!

In THIS state?

LINK

Sec. 24‑1. Unlawful Use of Weapons.
   (a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly:
(7) Sells, manufactures, purchases, possesses or  
    carries:
          (ii) any rifle having one or more barrels less than 16 inches in length or a shotgun having one or more barrels less than 18 inches in length or any weapon made from a rifle or shotgun, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise, if such a weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches; * * *

and this one takes care of everything else................................

ilga.gov/legislation/fulltext.asp?DocName=&SessionId=50&GA=94&DocTypeId=HB&DocNum=2414&GAID=8&LegID=17433&SpecSess=&Session=
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:10:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Would a 14.5" with a permanently attached flash hider be legal in IL?

And anyone know the overall length of a 14.5" with flash hider and a collapsible stock?  Would it meet the 26"?  

-J
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:21:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Nope, efxguy, last I checked, class 3, including SBR's are NOT legal here.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:52:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

And anyone know the overall length of a 14.5" with flash hider and a collapsible stock?  Would it meet the 26"?  

-J

Yes, that'd be legal, a permenantly attached flash hider is part of the barrel as far as they're concerned.

Yes it'd make the 26"...it'd be the same or very similar to my RRA with a 16" bbl and normal flash hider.

This is a non-almost everything state.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:41:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I kinda knew that, I am just looking for confirmation that there is no loophole!

I am working on a pistol build and am a little worried about it sharing a safe with a regular AR rifle.

efxguy
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:37:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

-J

16" barrel attached to 8" upper receiver gives you 24" exactly.

So, unless your stock is less than 2", you're good to go.

Standard 6 position collapsible stock gives you OAL of just over 31"
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:14:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I kinda knew that, I am just looking for confirmation that there is no loophole!

I am working on a pistol build and am a little worried about it sharing a safe with a regular AR rifle.

efxguy

One thought I had on this issue is replacing the front takedown pin on the pistol upper/lower with some sort of bolt with a tack weld on the nut or another semi-permanent way so that swapping upper and lowers to mage illegal combos isn't easily possible.

My suggestion is go bounce this question off the guys in the AR Pistol forum.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:52:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

efxguy

One thought I had on this issue is replacing the front takedown pin on the pistol upper/lower with some sort of bolt with a tack weld on the nut or another semi-permanent way so that swapping upper and lowers to mage illegal combos isn't easily possible.

My suggestion is go bounce this question off the guys in the AR Pistol forum.

Well, if you have an AR pistol, you have a legal reason for owning a sub 16" barrel.

Lot's of guys that have AR pistols also have their rifle counterparts. I can't hardly think there should be any legal problem, even while disassembled for cleaning.

WIZZO
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top