User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2006 3:47:59 PM EDT

From http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/h...HUNTING_S1.htm

Frankfort is in the far south suburbs of Chicago

Residents: hunter too close for comfort
• Frankfort landowner: Has right to shoot on his own property

By Janet Lundquist
staff writer

FRANKFORT — A landowner hunting geese on his property has ruffled the feathers of some residents on the south side of town.

The property in question is a field along 116th Avenue between Laraway and Steger roads that is destined for residential development. The land is partially surrounded by three subdivisions that are within the village's boundaries.

Next spring, the landowner, Gander Builders, intends to seek annexation into the village, officials said. For now, the landowner apparently spends some time hunting on the property.

The land is unincorporated, and the hunting is legal.

But some residents living in the neighborhoods around the vacant land say they are worried about safety — mainly for their children as they board school buses in the morning, sometimes while a hunt is under way.

"If they wanted to hunt, they could have gone farther south where there's no subdivisions," said one woman who lives near the property but did not want her name printed. "We just don't want that around here. Accidents happen."

The resident said she contacted Will County sheriff's police about the situation, and they told her that the hunting was legal — and that she should not have moved to the country if she did not like hunting.

Another resident who did not want her name printed said the hunting is "disturbing."

"It's just going to take one kid getting hurt," she said. "I know it's their land; they own it. But the chance, the opportunity, shouldn't even be there because hunters have accidents all the time."

Phone calls and e-mail to Gander Builders were not returned.

It is legal to hunt with a shotgun on private property if the hunting is done at least 100 yards away from an inhabited dwelling, according to the Illinois Department of Natural Resources. If the nearest residence is less than 100 yards away, the hunter must get the property owner's permission.

Will County sheriff's spokesman Pat Barry said the department receives numerous complaints about legal hunting across the county. The calls are mainly from residents who have moved to rural areas from more populated areas and are surprised by the hunting, he said.

The residents contacted Frankfort Mayor Jim Holland, who said village officials looked into the residents' complaints and found the hunting was legal. Hunting or shooting firearms is not legal in the village of Frankfort.

"I can understand the concerns of the residents, but I believe the laws are structured in such a way that there is basic safety being considered," Holland said.

The hunting will end when the property is annexed into the village, Holland added.

"Maybe he's a safe hunter, but the point is, grow up. Move on to another cornfield," the first resident said. "If people ask me what I think about Gander Builders, I'm going to tell them."
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:01:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:28:01 PM EDT
[#2]
What are the Chicago people doing down there?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:33:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:59:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I LOVE being woken by the sweet, sweet sound of shotguns on Saturday mornings! That is why I moved  away from Chicago.

Stupid f***s! Don't move next to a pig farm if you don't like the smell, and DON'T move away from the city if you want to feel likeyou live in one!

Arrrgghh! These arrogant people get under my skin....

efxguy
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:40:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Same problem where I live. Arrogant yuppie trash wannabees who can't afford housing in Cook County move out here. "But I didn't move all the way out here to see rednecks in pickup trucks with confederate flags on them shooting guns."

I want to make a bumper sticker for the gunshows that says "Welcome to Lake County, please leave your Liberalism and Volkswagen at your parents house in Arlington Heights."
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:28:02 AM EDT
[#6]
LMAO
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:55:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
"Welcome to Lake County, please leave your Liberalism and Volkswagen at your parents house in Arlington Heights."

No!  Don't send them here!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:18:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
yeah, that happened about 3 weeks ago.  I got a kick out of the Counties response to the women that called, just goes to show that there are still some smart people around.  Frankfort used to have a nice small country town atmosphere, unfortunately the chicago and cook county transplants have begun to destroy that.  The good news is the Chief of frankfort PD is a shooter and occasional hunter, and will hopefully remember he is when dealing with these transplanted morons.

BAN PEOPLE FROM MOVING OUT OF COOK COUNTY, IT'S FOR THE CHILDREN!!

HEY!!! i escaped crookcounty and hope many more normal people do also..........

and i did it for "MY CHILDREN".............

not all of us are bad
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:39:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Chicago people around here suck like that too.

On the hunting issue and on the hog issue that patriot73 mentioned.

THAT'S why I have a bad taste in my mouth about Chicago. Not only are their politicians corrupt, but the people are dumber than shit, city people

ARFcommers exempted, of course

WIZZO
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:59:56 PM EDT
[#10]
They really need to build a wall around shitcago and keep those people in so they can't contaminate the rest of the world.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:06:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:40:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
They really need to build a wall around shitcago and keep those people in so they can't contaminate the rest of the world.

just send them all to canada....................
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:31:14 AM EDT
[#13]
The squeeky wheels get the grease. Don't place all the Chicago residents in the same basket. Some of them just don't know anu better. That woman reminds me of the the folks that move next to O'Hare and then complain about the noise.  Hey lady teach your kid to stay out od the field of fire.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:28:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Don't place all the Chicago residents in the same basket. Some of them just don't know anu better.  

So, some are ignorant on purpose and some are ignorant by accident?

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:48:06 PM EDT
[#15]
That guy is nicer than me.  I wouldn't let it get annexed.  I'd keep hunting on it if for no other reason than  to just piss them people off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top