Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2006 5:37:25 AM EDT
ISRA Press Release:
Firearm I.D. Processing Delays Prompt Renewed Calls for Investigation of Scandal-Ridden Illinois State Police, Resignation of Director Larry Trent

1/9/2006
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following was released today (1/9/2006) by the Illinois State Rifle Association (ISRA):

The ISRA is calling upon Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan to launch an investigation into unprecedented delays in the processing of firearm ID cards by the Illinois State Police. Recent media stories report that firearm ID applicants are waiting months instead of weeks for the state police to process both new applications, and renewals.

Under Illinois law, those purchasing or possessing firearms must hold a current firearm ID card. Those who do not, face felony charges of unlawful use of a weapon. Therefore, slow- downs in the processing of firearm ID cards by the state police have caused unwitting firearm owners to fall outside the law.

According to the Illinois State Police, budget cuts have resulted in reduced staffing levels which, in turn, have supposedly led to delays in firearm ID processing. Illinois firearm owners scoff at such suggestions and point to the delays as just another example of politically-motivated harassment of gun owners by the Illinois State Police. By failing to accept or renew firearm ID cards in a timely manner, the Illinois State Police have instituted a de facto suspension of the citizen's right to keep and bear arms.

"The state police are obligated by law to process firearm ID card applications within 30 days," commented ISRA Executive Director Richard Pearson. "It's clear that they aren't living up to that obligation, and the law-abiding gun owners of Illinois want to know what's behind this mess. That's why we're asking Attorney General Madigan to sort out whether these processing delays are the result of misconduct, or merely ineptitude on the part of the Illinois State Police."

"Law-abiding gun owners put forth a good faith effort to comply with the law," continued Pearson. "Nonetheless, they face felony prosecution because the Illinois State Police cannot, or will not live up to the agency's legal obligations."

"Many of our members see these firearm ID processing delays as a form of political retribution on the part of the Blagojevich administration," said Pearson. "After all, the Illinois State Police are an official sponsor of the Daley Gun Control Program -- with state police director Larry Trent the program's most avid cheerleader. The state's gun owners don't trust the state police, but why should they? For years, the state police have been maintaining an illegal database of gun owners from which they feed information to Daley's notorious CAGE unit. Year in and year out, state police lobbyists testify in favor of all sorts of legislation that would result in the abolishment of private firearm ownership in the state. It's become abundantly clear that the Illinois State Police is more interested in enforcing Daley's gun control agenda than upholding the law."

"In light of this latest snafu, we are once again calling for Illinois State Police Director, Larry Trent, to resign," continued Pearson. "From the Dunkirk affair to misconduct by the governor's state police security squad to the firearm ID processing delays, Larry Trent has proven himself to be a constant source of embarrassment to the people of Illinois. Trent's administration is a farce that has tarnished the commitment of those who have upheld their oaths of public service with pride."
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:13:12 AM EDT
[#1]
It sounds like a good case for the ACLU! Oops, I forgot, they don't support THAT "right". Is the state exempt from class action lawsuits? It still frosts my cookies that they are maintaining the database in clear violation of the law. How come all of the activist attorneys seem to be on the left?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:14:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a footing to try and get the FOID abolished altogether...a weak footing, but better than nothing!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:52:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It sounds like a good case for the ACLU! Oops, I forgot, they don't support THAT "right". Is the state exempt from class action lawsuits? It still frosts my cookies that they are maintaining the database in clear violation of the law. How come all of the activist attorneys seem to be on the left?

isnt that discrimination???....................

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:43:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Maybe the four ISP troopers I saw sitting on their dead asses in the parking lot  at Panera Bread in Schaumburg yesterday could process some FOIDs. If there budget is tight, perhaps they can cut a few more from the roster considering they can't find much more to do than sit in their cars in parking lots and give people hard ass looks.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:50:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

isnt that discrimination???....................

Unless it involves the right to worship Satan or lowering the age of sexual consent to 9, the ACLU has no interest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top